Red light camera ticket in LA, should I pay it off?

Mods, move to SoCal forum if needed.
I got a red light camera ticket a couple months back for a rolling right turn.  The fine is $476.  If you haven't heard, the LA City Council has decided to end this whole red light camera program.  The tickets were now voluntary to pay off the whole time, so a lot of people got suckered into paying the fine.

I already went to court and plead guilty.  I've just kept on pushing the payments back. It's now due at the end of the month.  My question is if I don't pay this, could they still penalize me even though the program is done and the fines were "voluntary" the whole time?

Sorry guys no lawyer and you guys are the closest thing I have to legal advice.
wink.gif

They're voluntary?  What's the point in that?  Those are high fines as well.  Didn't know they were that high.
Here in ny, the highest i've seen was $65 and they are not voluntary.

Originally Posted by dustblaaze

I got a red light camera ticket a couple months back for a rolling right turn.  

huh? how did they capture such act? 

^ they record video, not just pictures. and they let you view the videos online too.
you dont have to do it anymore. you'll be ok. dont pay.

Originally Posted by proper english

I got a red light camera ticket a couple months back for a rolling right turn.  

huh? how did they capture such act? 
There are multiple cameras in busy intersection throughout LA.  They snap pics of cars that speed through red lights and do illegal right turns.
Did I make an illegal rolling right turn? Yes.

But it was at 3am with no other vehicles on the road.  I don't think it justifies a damn near $500 fine

they removed a bunch of those up here in the East Bay (Union City) & I think in the PHX/Scottsdale area as well..
those things cause nothing but more accidents & most of the time, arent even timed/calibrated right (possibly on purpose)

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Why did they choose to end the red light program?

Because they're costing cities too much money and aren't making enough.  They're basically saying those cameras are there to put $$$ in their pockets and not for safety.  

I got a red light camera ticket a couple months back for a rolling right turn.  The fine is $476.  If you haven't heard, the LA City Council has decided to end this whole red light camera program.  The tickets were now voluntary to pay off the whole time, so a lot of people got suckered into paying the fine.

I already went to court and plead guilty.  I've just kept on pushing the payments back. It's now due at the end of the month.  My question is if I don't pay this, could they still penalize me even though the program is done and the fines were "voluntary" the whole time?

Sorry guys no lawyer and you guys are the closest thing I have to legal advice.
wink.gif
fines were "voluntary" because since they weren't sent out as registered mail there was no way of actually saying that you got it or not.  but by paying it or in your case going to court and already pleading guilty then you've already acknowledged receipt of the ticket.  so i believe you can still be held accountable.  So word to the wise if you get a ticket in the mail and you didn't have to sign for it to receive it then the payment is always voluntary.  especially if its from a third party company that runs most of these red light cameras.  

Even if you don't pay, do you still need to do schooling or is that not really required?

the problem with these red light cameras, mainly the ones that used to be in AZ, is that the company running them told the cities they were going to make X amount of dollars. But the cities weren't making near that amount of money because people figured out if they don't pay it then nothing happens to them. Nothing gets issued for you for not paying it. So i would assume if you don't pay it then no traffic school or anything. If you just ignore it its almost like it really never happened even if you can see your face in the picture while your holding your driver license and social security card in your hand.

Originally Posted by runzombierun

the problem with these red light cameras, mainly the ones that used to be in AZ, is that the company running them told the cities they were going to make X amount of dollars. But the cities weren't making near that amount of money because people figured out if they don't pay it then nothing happens to them. Nothing gets issued for you for not paying it. So i would assume if you don't pay it then no traffic school or anything. If you just ignore it its almost like it really never happened even if you can see your face in the picture while your holding your driver license and social security card in your hand.

I should've never acknowledged it in the first place.  DAMN
mad.gif

they need to remove the red light cameras here in NYC but it seems as if that program is only expanding with more and more intersections getting them.

Originally Posted by Crumbs

they need to remove the red light cameras here in NYC but it seems as if that program is only expanding with more and more intersections getting them.
Truth. Especially now with those select bus service and their lanes having cameras. Father had two tires in the bus lane they sent him a $115.00 dollar ticket with a login id and password so he could view the offense, youtube style.

I was furious when I got one on Sunset before the freeway entrance....

heated for multiple hours

Heard about you not having to pay them but didnt know it was reality

It's still a moving violation, and since you went to court already and plead guilty, it's a wrap for you.  Just pay it.

If you ignore it from the start, nothing will happen to you.  However, you already pleaded guilty, just take the L.

Those things were a joke.

Yeah, pretty much. I was thinking of letting it go to collections since they don't enforce it, but I don't want my license suspended or anything showing up on a background check. LA county is giving it to me in the *$$ raw. Damn!

Back
Top Bottom