Red light camera ticket in LA, should I pay it off?

Why'd then end it? I've seen new ones popping up in my city.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

Why'd then end it? I've seen new ones popping up in my city.
mad.gif
Because the city was losing money on them. It's a funny thing that cities always talk about how the cameras are for safety, yet as soon as they start losing money they do away with them. If it's about safety, then you would keep them, but because it's really about making money, you let them go.

Not trying to threadjack... but I also got a red light ticket in LA and am leaning toward not paying it since their getting removed and are supposedly voluntary. I haven't gone to court yet either!! I understand you don't HAVE to pay and you can just say you didn't get it since its not sent in certified mail. BUT is there still any consequences to not paying?? (Ex. point taken away, reported to DMV, ticket on record..). I want to take traffic school as well because i dont want my insurance to go up but if it doesn't show up and is not reported I wont do that obviously.

Any help?

Originally Posted by LakerNation

Not trying to threadjack... but I also got a red light ticket in LA and am leaning toward not paying it since their getting removed and are supposedly voluntary. I haven't gone to court yet either!! I understand you don't HAVE to pay and you can just say you didn't get it since its not sent in certified mail. BUT is there still any consequences to not paying?? (Ex. point taken away, reported to DMV, ticket on record..). I want to take traffic school as well because i dont want my insurance to go up but if it doesn't show up and is not reported I wont do that obviously.

Any help?
Ignore it. Seriously.  Don't identify yourself like I did and don't go to court.  They're not gonna really enforce anything on you since they admitted this whole thing was a sham.

When the Greuel Report cam out in 2010, I knew it was the death knell for the Red Light Cameras in Los Angeles. Right after the report the Police Chief said that the program was never about the money and the City Council blustered and said that it would double the number of Cameras. I guess they were just looking to save face and now that that report is nearly a year old, they can quietly disband the programs that costs them valuable dollars, dollars that could be used to buy political influence.

These Red Light Programs are never about public safety, they are about making lots and lots of money and they are about making the citizenry more compliant and what George F. Will would call, "state broken."

Are all of these intersection cameras owned by a third party company?  I live in northern california and they've been up around sacramento.  Haven't heard any news of them being taken down, but if none of these cameras are state owned then I'm not even gonna bother being overly cautious around them...

Back
Top Bottom