Repost: Robert "Yummy" Sandifer Still a good read & today is his birthday VERY LONG read

I remember when Cake posted this a while back....Sad, real life but these young _s out here are only getting worse

This story probably more than any other truly embodies the heartbreaking nature of life and death in the ghetto for the generation that came of age in the 90s.  As a kid, I remember when this story first broke nationally and I thought to myself that Yummy was only a couple of years older than me...

What's even more tragic is that there are still young people today whose lives share so many elements of Yummy's.  I know, I work with a lot of them.  But even still, the complete and utter totality of Yummy's tragedy just overwhelms me at times.  Occasionally, I find myself reflecting on Yummy's life and death and literally become damn near immobilized with sadness.  And this is coming from someone who has known dozens of people who have been killed and even seen people killed in front of me.  Yet, despite never knowing him, Yummy's story affects me in a similar way to tragedies that I have experienced in my own life.  And like those other tragedies, Yummy's story ultimately reminds me why I have dedicated my life to working with young people just like him and like too many of my own childhood friends...

Honestly, words like tragic, heartbreaking, etc. don't begin to accurately describe the meaning of the story of Yummy Sandifer...

Happy birthday Robert "Yummy" Sandifer.  You will NEVER be forgotten.

Didn't read it all, but I get what it's about. It's a shame he didn't stand a chance before he was even born. It's not his fault. Reading stuff like this brings two seperate but poignant thoughts to mind. 1) Why does God allow these types of people to walk the Earth and have bad lives? (Guess I'll never know)  2) Watching the timeline, it makes me wonder if sports stars such as Michael Jordan ever had an ear to these sort of things. I mean, this was going on during the prime years of the Bulls ascent and reign in the NBA. I'm sure he could have lent his start power to bring awareness to this among the Black community. Not saying he was obligated to, but you would think as a father hearing about children being killed on a regular basis, you would have something to say. I'm sure some of these kids had his shoes on too. It's just sad all around. Just my thoughts as I read this article.

Definitely worth 5-10 minutes of your time if you aren't familiar with the story.

RIP.

We had a influx of new students that were from Chicago at my elementary school around this time. I remember having a stop drugs, gangs, and violence type program and one of Yummy's family members was in attendance. Didn't really know or understand the severity of the situation back then tho.

Bump one time.  This is a better read than anything on the first page...

Didn't read it all, but I get what it's about. It's a shame he didn't stand a chance before he was even born. It's not his fault. Reading stuff like this brings two seperate but poignant thoughts to mind. 1) Why does God allow these types of people to walk the Earth and have bad lives? (Guess I'll never know)  2) Watching the timeline, it makes me wonder if sports stars such as Michael Jordan ever had an ear to these sort of things. I mean, this was going on during the prime years of the Bulls ascent and reign in the NBA. I'm sure he could have lent his start power to bring awareness to this among the Black community. Not saying he was obligated to, but you would think as a father hearing about children being killed on a regular basis, you would have something to say. I'm sure some of these kids had his shoes on too. It's just sad all around. Just my thoughts as I read this article.

True......I know Tupac talked about him constantly. The "Hood" needed this man:smh:

maybe there is no god

Back
Top Bottom