Retail Closures and Bankruptcy 2019 Edition

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/13/retail-store-closures-in-2019-freds-charming-charlie-and-more.html

So far, 7,062 store closures have been announced by U.S. retailers this year

By April this year alone several major brands filed for bankruptcy(or simply shuttered like Top Shop)

https://www.businessinsider.com/bankrupt-companies-retail-list-2019-3

And over the weekend news broke about Barney's potential bankruptcy

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/business/barneys-bankruptcy/index.html

Do you still go out to shop? How much do you order vs. go out and buy? Malls are dying and smaller local shops are making a comeback.

Any big staple from your youth thats gone now?

There's a good 3-4 malls all with good stores in about 15-20 minutes of each other from where I am

Also good discount stores like Nordstrom Rack and a couple of outlet malls a bit further

Barney's shock's me though cause they always seem like the one high end retailer that maintains a certain status

They need to start discounting things daily. There’s no reason to go to a store anymore

Without a complete shift away from consumerism, I think supporting and rebuilding smaller local economies in lieu of ordering everything online is a good thing.

The things we goto the store for need to change also though.

I saw some malls converted into small apartments on youtube. Looked pretty cool.

As far as brick and mortar, only grocery store and pharmacies. Haven't been to the mall in years. Surprised they're even sustainable.

It's actually sad to see so many mom and pops (and even big chain retailers) you grew up with have to close shop. The way of the world now I suppose. I remember seeing a story on Sears and all of their loyal employees for decades suddenly lose their jobs. Sad.

Knock some of these plazas and malls down and build AFFORDABLE housing parks, etc. plant trees

I say this about golf courses too. They really have hundreds of perfectly fine acres of land dedicated to a game old white dudes play. Always thought that was strange, in a wasteful sort of way.

l.jpg

As far as brick and mortar, only grocery store and pharmacies. Haven't been to the mall in years. Surprised they're even sustainable.

It's actually sad to see so many mom and pops (and even big chain retailers) you grew up with have to close shop. The way of the world now I suppose. I remember seeing a story on Sears and all of their loyal employees for decades suddenly lose their jobs. Sad.

When it was my nephews birthday we just got toys at Target, I couldn't even think of a toy store that still exists.

I remember when FAO Scwartz was a big deal when it opened at the Forum Shops.

I know Shoppers retail grocery stores are going out of business.... i just wanna know what they gonna do about those colossal donuts

theres exceptions but alot, probably the majority, of the products you find in marshalls, tjmaxx are made specifically for those stores kinda like the difference between jcrew and jcrew factory, etc

A ton of these malls and such will go under and be ghost but there will be those malls that withstand it all and absorb all the others that go out of business. One mall I could see thriving damn near forever because of location is Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus.

Things are going to change and change quick soon.

Word up. I pretty much do 95% of my clothes shopping online. I like homie said above, way more convenient to shop from my phone/laptop than it is to drive 20+ miles to the nearest 'good' mall. Selection is a lot better online than what I'd find locally too.

Word up. I pretty much do 95% of my clothes shopping online. I like homie said above, way more convenient to shop from my phone/laptop than it is to drive 20+ miles to the nearest 'good' mall. Selection is a lot better online than what I'd find locally too.
And when you do go to the store and they don’t have your size they push for ordering online anyway :lol:

Back
Top Bottom