Runner’s Body Is Found in Queens Marsh....Hung Jury p. 13

All these arm chair lawyers in here :lol:  

Better than being an arm chair racist.

All these arm chair lawyers in here :lol:  
I'm sayin :lol:

Yall know how many ppl check-in to the hospital with hand injuries in NYC daily? :lol:

Obviously, but in high-profile cases where assaults, amongst other things happen, the police check with the hospitals to see if there are people coming in with certain injuries that may go along with the crime committed. This is not uncommon.

Anyways...

here's more:

The confessed killer of Queens jogger Karina Vetrano told detectives he hated the victim’s predominantly white neighborhood of Howard Beach, leading cops to believe race played a role in the murder, sources told The Post.

“I don’t like those people over there,” said Chanel Lewis, 20, who is black and split time between homes in the largely impoverished neighborhoods of East New York and Brownsville, according to sources.

Lewis made the statement to a black detective when asked why he killed Vetrano, whose body was found strangled in Spring Creek Park. His comment caused cops to believe race was a factor in Vetrano’s slaying, sources said.

A white detective initially tried twice to get Lewis to talk and he refused, according to sources.

But when the black detective, Barry Brown, interviewed him, Lewis waived his Miranda rights and gave two videotaped statements, confessing he’d “hit” and “choked” the jogger on Aug. 2.

Rest of Article in Link

Last edited:
Sounds weird al around but yea

If he's the one who did it, glad they got him.. if not then idk man. People do crazy stuff out of nowhere all the time even when they live normal lives

That's how I feel too. All these shows out nowadays have your head all messed up and you just don't know what to believe anymore. Hopefully, they got the right killer.

Better than being an arm chair racist.
Obviously, but in high-profile cases where assaults, amongst other things happen, the police check with the hospitals to see if there are people coming in with certain injuries that may go along with the crime committed. This is not uncommon.

Anyways...

here's more:
Rest of Article in Link
Welp things about to get real now . Especially in this trump era. 

So race played a factor that one day and not her good looks? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Couldn't he have killed someone else out of anger any other day

Idk man

So race played a factor that one day and not her good looks? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Couldn't he have killed someone else out of anger any other day

Idk man

The more that comes out, the more the motive/timeline doesn't make sense.

The more that comes out, the more the motive/timeline doesn't make sense.
Now they have another  reason to arrest and stop and frisk black males.  They want to keep the boogiman Black  men who seek to rap and kill White women of the streets. 

From Shaun King at the Daily News..I added a couple pics from the article. cleaned it up a bit for ease of read

Politics
KING: Our paper and our city must demand justice for Karina Vetrano without slipping into racism

This past July my family and I moved from Atlanta to Brooklyn. With five young kids ranging from pre-school to high school, we no doubt have the largest family in our building and it appears we have the largest family in our whole neighborhood. Everywhere we go people ask us, "Are all those kids yours?"

When we were still new to New York, and struggling to wrap our minds around the idea of allowing our teenage daughters to travel the city on the subway without us, something absolutely horrible happened.

A beautiful, beloved young woman, Karina Vetrano, a speech therapist who was also very much a fitness buff, went out for a routine jog in broad daylight on a hot summer afternoon. She never made it home. She was beaten, strangled, sexually assaulted, and dumped face down in the weeded marshes near her Howard Beach home in Queens.

Rightly so, the city became obsessed with her case. My wife and I often spoke of Karina and hoped, for her family and for our city, that whoever did this to her would be arrested. As new residents, but particularly as parents of high school aged girls, the thought that someone who did such a thing was roaming the streets was beyond disturbing.

So, when we got the news that someone had been arrested for this heinous crime, a full six months after Karina was murdered, we were relieved. My heart goes out to her devastated family and I hope that this arrest gives them even an ever so tiny bit of peace in the midst of such unthinkable horror.

However, I must say that I am concerned that latent racism is now creeping its way into how this case is being talked about — including by my own paper.

Chanel Lewis, a scruffy, rail thin, almost goofy-looking 20-year-old black man with no criminal record was arrested for the crime. Early reports state that he confessed and that DNA evidence matches him to the victim, who was not only white, but the attractive, well known, charismatic, and the pride and joy of her Italian family.

Even though more than 75% of voters in Queens voted for Hillary Clinton, Howard Beach, and many of the enclaves around it, are Donald Trump country. With African-Americans making up just 2% of the population there, the segregation of Howard Beach has an ugly history.

Queens jogger's killer may have been regular at scene of crime
“As a kid, I would not recommend anyone black stopping there,” said Congressman Gregory W. Meeks in 2011. As it was, in 1986, Michael Griffith, a young black man from Brooklyn who traveled to Howard Beach to pick up a paycheck for his construction job, was chased and killed by a group of white teens from Howard Beach. To this day, fair or not, the murder of Griffith and the brutal beating of one of his friends, shapes how many in the city see Howard Beach.

This crime exists on the very sensitive fault lines of race not only in our city, but nationwide. How we talk about it, how we frame it, and how we move forward — it matters. It matters a lot. That's why I was deeply discouraged to see many of the words on today's cover of the New York Daily News about the arrest of Chanel Lewis.

I'm not alone there. Friends of mine from all over the country saw it and were disturbed as well. As I watched my beloved Atlanta Falcons blow a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl, I first started to get @ replies from complete strangers about the cover on Twitter. I was live tweeting the game, and started seeing more and more people ask me about the cover. I clicked over and there it was.

It was as deeply problematic as they described. The headline, in bold print, read, "Demon in the Weeds: Woman-hating brute, 20, murdered park jogger, Karina."

Chanel Lewis admits to killing Queens jogger Karina Vetrano
Now, the gut reaction of many who are not familiar to the racially charged history of some of those words, would wonder why I would even care what anyone said about a rapist and a murderer.

I care because in America, how one lone black man is viewed, trickles down in peculiar ways to how millions of black men are viewed. By in large, when a white man rapes and murders a woman, which has happened tens of thousands of times in this nation, it does not trickle down to how everyday Americans view white men in general. The reverse is damn true though.

Even though study after study shows that white men and black men both sell and use drugs at virtually the same rate, with white men actually selling illegal drugs at a higher rate, the American stereotype of a drug dealer is a young black man in a hoody? Why is that? Because the worst news about some black men, is forced about the image of all black men.

Even though the overwhelming majority of people receiving Food Stamps in America are white, the stereotype of a welfare queen is not white, but is a single black woman with many kids. It's a lie. And it's a lie that sticks because how the media and politicians and everyday Americans frame such issues matter.

Man not convinced his son killed jogger Karina Vetrano
Here are alternate headlines that could've been written about Chanel Lewis. I'm not even saying I would've chosen these, but they all would've been true.

"Recent honors graduate of Queens High School with no criminal record arrested for brutal sexual assault and murder"

"Quiet unassuming young man allegedly confesses to killing beloved Queens jogger"

"Brilliant police work leads to the arrest of young man in the brutal murder of Karina Vetrano"

By calling Chanel Lewis "a demon" and "a brute," the headline devolved into language that has been used to dehumanize and even lynch black men in America for the past century. I'm all for having a hard-hitting headline that didn't go easy on him or mince words about the case, but in the spirit of hitting hard, we can't do what we did today. What my paper did has history.

View media item 2326244
"The brute caricature portrays black men as innately savage, animalistic, destructive, and criminal — deserving punishment, maybe death. This brute is a fiend, a sociopath, an anti-social menace. Black brutes are depicted as hideous, terrifying predators who target helpless victims, especially white women," said Dr. David Pilgrim, professor of Sociology at Ferris State University in Michigan.

Pilgrim continued: "The 'terrible crime' most often mentioned in connection with the black brute was rape, specifically the rape of a white woman. At the beginning of the twentieth century, much of the virulent, anti-black propaganda that found its way into scientific journals, local newspapers, and best-selling novels focused on the stereotype of the black rapist. The claim that black brutes were, in epidemic numbers, raping white women became the public rationalization for the lynching of blacks."

Google the words, "Black man brute stereotype." This racialized depiction of black men is widely known.

Depicting black men as "demons" also has a long, ugly history and was most recently done by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson in his depiction of why he repeatedly shot teenager Michael Brown in the chest and head, saying he looked like "a demon." Indeed, tried and true racial stereotypes were abundant in the testimony of Darren Wilson.

The depiction of black men as "demons" in the media is so prevalent, and so frequent that Dennis Rome, a professor at Indiana University wrote an entire book on the phenomenon called Black Demons: Mass Media's Depiction of the African-American Male Criminal Stereotype.

When I pressed my editors this morning on why the words "demon" and "brute" were used to describe Lewis on the front page, the answer was that they sincerely believed they would've used those words had the man who was arrested been white. I believe my editors believe that.

Sadly, thousands of rapes and murders happen in our nation every year. When a white man is accused of rape, be it the Stanford swimmer Brock Turner or Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the words "demon" and "brute" tend not to appear in the headlines.

The New York Daily News front page for April 21, 1989 about the Central Park Five.
The New York Daily News front page for April 21, 1989 about the Central Park Five. (NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

View media item 2326245
Twenty-eight years ago our paper, in another rush to judgment, used animal language to describe the Central Park Five — calling them a "wolf pack" and a "roving gang." Their convictions were eventually overturned, and another man convicted, after they spent as many as 13 years in prison for a crime they didn't commit. Again, the crime that was committed was unbelievably heinous, and should've been described as such, but when our paper began using animal adjectives to describe young men who turned out to be innocent, it's a problem.

Hear my heart: if Chanel Lewis is guilty, and the evidence that we have so far absolutely suggests that he is — what he did was horrendous — no ifs, ands, or buts.

I'm not here to police how the family of this young woman talks about this case. That's not my place. If one of my girls had been victimized like their wonderful daughter, I would not have a filter of any kind either. I have no idea the anger, rage, and hurt they must be feeling,

However, the Daily News and all the media has to find a way to describe such cases without slipping into racist tropes hundreds of years in the making.

Last edited:
:lol: @ trying to put the brute label on that brittle boy.

Daily News and NY Post never fail to fail. Surprise they aint just go all the way and call him a black brute.

Queens jogger murder suspect now charged with sexual abuse

The Brooklyn man accused of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano has now also been charged with sexual abuse in the case, the Queens District Attorney's Office said.

Chanel Lewis, 20, was arrested in February for second-degree murder, a little over six months after 30-year-old Vetrano's death. She was fatally strangled on Aug. 2, 2016, while jogging alone in Howard Beach in the borough of Queens, on a path where she and her father often ran together.

Police do not believe Lewis knew Vetrano.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said today that a Queens County grand jury returned a 13-count indictment charging Lewis with four counts of first-degree murder; five counts of second-degree murder; two counts of first-degree aggravated sexual abuse and two counts of first-degree sexual abuse. If convicted, Lewis faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Lewis, who pleaded not guilty after his arrest in February and was ordered held without bail, will have his next arraignment on April 17.

After Vetrano's death, police received over 250 leads and took 600 DNA samples.

Lewis was first approached by police about the murder the week before his February arrest, police said. He gave a voluntary DNA sample, which matched DNA recovered from the crime scene, police said, and he was arrested for second-degree murder.

Today the New York City Council honored New York Police Department Lt. John Russo for his "instrumental role in cracking the case."

"Connecting the dots, Lt. John Russo of the 106th Precinct spent six months poring through records, eventually finding the suspect," the New York City Council said.

Once Lewis was arrested, Karina Vetrano's father, Phil Vetrano, told local New York ABC station WABC-TV that he will "absolutely" be at Lewis' trial.

"Every minute of the day," he said

http://abcnews.go.com/US/queens-jogger-murder-suspect-now-charged-sexual-abuse/story?id=46602647

Last edited:
They found his dna on her phone and her back but not under her fingernails. Are people thinking his dna was put on her?

That changed in February when NYPD Lt. John Russo, who also lives in Howard Beach, remembered seeing a young black man there over Memorial Day weekend, about two months before the murder. As the man walked around the neighborhood, Russo, with his two daughters in the back of his car, tailed him for an hour before calling 911 and reporting him for suspicious activity.

Officers then stopped and frisked the man, 20-year-old Chanel Lewis, who told them he was just walking around looking for a place to eat. They gave Lewis a ride out of Howard Beach to a McDonald’s in the Rockaways, a neighborhood farther from his family’s home in East New York than he’d been but one with much more public housing.

That was Russo’s account in Queens criminal court last week in proceedings to determine what evidence will be admissible during Lewis’ coming murder trial. Police sources had previously given reporters a slightly different story, in which Russo’s tip this year led murder investigators to find a 911 call from the following day in which the caller named the man as Chanel Lewis and said he had a crowbar and looked like he might be about to break into a property with it. Running Lewis’ name, they found he had three summonses from 2013, one for public urination and two involving breaking park rules in Spring Creek Park.

This just makes NO sense...pure coincidence that the NYPD detective pinned a murder on a guy that he tailed 2 months prior when he was racially profiling...Like, how convenient is that?

So who killed this chick?

Always thought the dad acted a little too relieved when talking about his slain daughter.

Forgot about this. Crazy that it only took them a day and a half to decide on a hung jury. Guess those jurors were trying to go home.

There's a reason I don't like going to Marine park or Howard Beach , residents look at you like an alien and you can get caught up in some stuff

Back
Top Bottom