San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

That was back when the housing market was still recovering. Fast forward to today and that house is probably in the mid $400k and up. I wasn't ready to buy back then but I am now, I'm hoping for another crash to lower these prices.
Yea I jus purchased my 4bd in Vacaville back in April for 410k...the value has alteady gone up to 430k...I'm not hoping for another crash lol...

^^^I hear you man. Oddly I am trying to buy in today's market and if a crash happens, I am going to be SOL. But I am at the age where I guess it won't matter since I plan to stay in my area for a long time. Pleasant Hill seems to be the area that has the equal balance where you get a sizable house, good area, good schools, decent travel time into SF and better weather. I think the only thing i am going to miss is the food I eat daily here in SF and the quick and fast dinner options it has out here. Other than that and fast commute time, I am ready to move into something bigger. 450 sqf studio is not the business at 35 years old and starting a family.

I am not sure if it was intimidation or just proximity. I swear only like 5-7 years ago, I would hear people on occasion talking about how they live in The Richmond area that aren't Asian but now, it seems a lot more live in those areas and even in the Sunset which no one ever did since that is hardly "living in the city". Uber definitely helped with that whole thing and getting to and from those areas aren't a long bus ride away. I literally just spoke to an Indian girl that moved there this year. She is from Sacramento, moved into a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 other young non Asian girls and they live literally around 10th and Clement.

Fillmore doesn't really have the Polk experience since there are no real bars worth going to. People go there if you want to go see a concert at The Fillmore, dinners or go clubbing at Origin. I just heard too Origin sold it to another owner so they might lose the Asian club thing they have been doing. I even heard Thursdays are going to be 18 and up night. I am literally dreading it but I should be moving out of SF by the end of the year.
Damn that sucks to hear, didn't really experience Fillmore growing up like I should have, only Hayes Valley and lower Haight. Went to Gussie's and the Jazz festival annually. No late club type exploring though. Usually leave that to SoMa and a few other spots.

Where do you plan to move to?

Yea I jus purchased my 4bd in Vacaville back in April for 410k...the value has alteady gone up to 430k...I'm not hoping for another crash lol...
I'm really only hoping the market takes a dip so I can get joog on the Encore and Symphony homes at the end of Green Valley :lol:

Those houses are :pimp:
I can dig that. Them joints are too clean...my girl wanted to stay in green valley when we were looking since we were renting out space at the in laws in the area but wasn't in our budget. Plus I like Vacaville better. More family oriented IMO...

Damn that sucks to hear, didn't really experience Fillmore growing up like I should have, only Hayes Valley and lower Haight. Went to Gussie's and the Jazz festival annually. No late club type exploring though. Usually leave that to SoMa and a few other spots.

Where do you plan to move to?

Gussies closes down too. Crazy how that didn't work in The Fillmore area. Black Bark moved in though which is a rib joint. Decent stuff and good beer selection. It feels comforting that all races can essentially go on there without breaking the bank too.

Originally wanted to move to Berkeley but it's out of my price range. Then wanted to do Daly City or Pacifica but that was a no go as well. Then wanted to do Oakland but didn't want to move again in 5-10 years cause I want to have kids and schools aren't great there. So decided on Pleasant Hill for now unless something else comes up.

Gussies closes down too. Crazy how that didn't work in The Fillmore area. Black Bark moved in though which is a rib joint. Decent stuff and good beer selection. It feels comforting that all races can essentially go on there without breaking the bank too.

Originally wanted to move to Berkeley but it's out of my price range. Then wanted to do Daly City or Pacifica but that was a no go as well. Then wanted to do Oakland but didn't want to move again in 5-10 years cause I want to have kids and schools aren't great there. So decided on Pleasant Hill for now unless something else comes up.
What?!

Might have to try Black Bark. There's a spot in SoMa I usually go for ribs.

Dad moved out to concord from South city a few years back. I love that area as a whole. Concord actually reminds me of a peninsula city with more whites. Pleasant Hill is like a even more "safer" version of Concord. Best of luck to you man, too bad you can't find anything in San Mateo county. One of my friends got lucky in 2015 when he found a 3/br house in Milbrae for $1650 a month, the guy is next to El Camino and Bart.

I'm really only hoping the market takes a dip so I can get joog on the Encore and Symphony homes at the end of Green Valley
laugh.gif

Those houses are
pimp.gif
You can try looking at Foreclosed or Short Sales if your looking for a deal . Not sure if investors are eating all those up .

Last edited:
Man, I miss living in Vacaville. 

Nvm, I just missing living in California 
laugh.gif

Did you ever look at Maxwell Park in Oakland? It's a quiet little neighborhood with mostly younger families. It's right next to Mills College and Diamond District. It's also close to Glenview and Trestle Glen which have great schools. There's a elementary school within walking distance that I think might turn into a pretty good school.

^^^^Yup. Look there all the time. Going to open houses over there is like looking at carbon copies of myself and my wife. It's like everyone at the same stage of our lives are looking to move there, so it is just super competitive. Mills College would have been more ideal if we looked only like 3-4 years ago but people are gunning for any home there and honestly for the price, I just don't think it is worth it.

My uncle is an agent and helped sell the house below. Granted it is a nice house, huge backyard and uniquely different from other houses in that area but it only sold for $219k only back in 2013. It isn't quite on the desirable side of Mills College area but still has low crime. Anyways, it was posted for $725K (around my limit) and someone bought it for $952k!!!! There is no way that house is worth almost a million dollars. That means whoever bought it has the most expensive house on that block. So this is gentrification at its finest. Someone leaves and a rich person (or upper middle class for Bay Area folks) moves in to Oakland.

genMid.40751999_4.jpg

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/7569-Sterling-Dr-94605/home/1571912

LOL. That junk looks like it's gonna fall apart.

Actually the structure of it was fine. The person who lived their was a contractor so hence why they probably bought it for cheap and fixed it up themselves. He or she left the outside as is which I assume was so to not advertise that the house was redone on the inside. Home invasions happen a decent amount in Oakland. But the lot size is what is the most desirable about the house. The house itself is old just like every other house in Oakland and SF for that matter. You definitely aren't getting the track homes like you get when you live in the suburbs with the huge garages and what not. So it's a real oxymoron when you look at it. You literally have to pay more to get an older house all solely due to location to SF and Oakland which are where most high income jobs are located.

^^^^Yup. Look there all the time. Going to open houses over there is like looking at carbon copies of myself and my wife. It's like everyone at the same stage of our lives are looking to move there, so it is just super competitive. Mills College would have been more ideal if we looked only like 3-4 years ago but people are gunning for any home there and honestly for the price, I just don't think it is worth it.

My uncle is an agent and helped sell the house below. Granted it is a nice house, huge backyard and uniquely different from other houses in that area but it only sold for $219k only back in 2013. It isn't quite on the desirable side of Mills College area but still has low crime. Anyways, it was posted for $725K (around my limit) and someone bought it for $952k!!!! There is no way that house is worth almost a million dollars. That means whoever bought it has the most expensive house on that block. So this is gentrification at its finest. Someone leaves and a rich person (or upper middle class for Bay Area folks) moves in to Oakland.

genMid.40751999_4.jpg

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/7569-Sterling-Dr-94605/home/1571912

That's not gentrification it's just location and the cyclical economy. Gentrification hasn't affected the home buyer market the way its affecting the rental market. Median sales prices are basically at pre-recession levels. They're a little bit higher but people aren't selling their homes for much more than they were 10 years ago. For the most part the type of people who are really in play if we're talking gentrification can't afford to buy a house now, and they couldn't afford it 20 years ago either.

A lot of people who are new just don't really understand how expensive was Oakland was before the current wave of gentrification. I actually grew up in that specific neighborhood, $750K is exactly what I would expect for a typical house on that block right now. That house is very unique with an abundance of open space so it makes sense it would go for more.

In general Eastmont Hills property values take a hit relative to the other middle class East Oakland neighborhoods immediately near by like Redwood Heights and Grass Valley because the schools aren't as good and 0.5 miles south, you're really in it.

Whoever paid $219K for that place in 2013 won the lottery. Chances were probably 1/1000000. Same w/ Maxwell Park, anything in that price range is a ridiculous bargain any time in the past 15 years.

Last edited:
^^^That's true. Rental market is crazier than the buying market.

My wife's sister bought a house near Highland Hospital in 2010 for literally $150K and there was a program Obama rolled out where you were given $25-50K additional as well when you bought a house. Through that 6 year span though, it was tough since there were some neighbors that were practically drug dealers. I would see photos of swat teams in front of their house all the time and even someone posioned one of the dogs at their house and it passed away. Now her house is about $450-500k and the area is so much better but still has it's small issues. I think buying back when the market was low was definitely hitting the lottery but it came with some issues though. Not sure if I could have done it myself.

What is even more funny is my wife back in 2008 when the market crashed put a bid on a house in the Sunset of SF for $550 and didn't go higher cause she didn't think it was worth it. She is kicking herself to this day for not placing a higher bid.

Back
Top Bottom