Saudi Arabia: Ban All Things Red For Valentines's Day

[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]AllThings Red For Valentines's Day[/font][/font]
(CNN) -- Saudi Arabia has asked florists and gift shops to remove all red items until after Valentine's Day, calling the celebration ofsuch a holiday a sin, local media reported Monday.

art.valentine.muslim.afp.jpg

With a ban on red gift items over Valentine's Day in Saudi Arabia, a black market in red roses has flowered.

corner_wire_BL.gif

"As Muslims we shouldn't celebrate a non-Muslim celebration, especially this one that encouragesimmoral relations between unmarried men and women, " Sheikh Khaled Al-Dossari, a scholar in Islamic studies, told the Saudi Gazette, an English-languagenewspaper.

Every year, officials with the conservative Muslim kingdom's Commission for the Promotion of Virtueand Prevention of Vice clamp down on shops a few days before February 14, instructing them to remove red roses, red wrapping paper, gift boxes and teddy bears.On the eve of the holiday, they raid stores and seize symbols of love.

The virtue and vice squad is a police force of several thousand charged with, among other things, enforcing dress codes and segregating the sexes. SaudiArabia, which follows a strict interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism, punishes unrelated women and men who mingle in public.

Ahmed Al-Omran, a university student in Riyadh, told CNN that the government decision will give the international media another reason to make fun of theSaudis "but I think that we got used to that by now."

"I think what they are doing is ridiculous," said Al-Omran, who maintains the blog 'Saudi Jeans.' "What the conservatives in thiscountry need to learn is something called 'tolerance.' If they don't see the permissibility of celebrating such an occasion, then fine -- theyshould not celebrate it. But they have to know they have no right to impose their point of view on others."

Because of the ban on red roses, a black market has flowered ahead of Valentine's Day. Roses that normally go for five Saudi riyal ($1.30) fetch up to30 riyal ($
glasses.gif
on February 14, the Saudi Gazette said.

"Sometimes we deliver the bouquets in the middle of the night or early morning, to avoid suspicion," one florist told the paper.

Saudi Arabia has often come under criticism for its treatment of women, most recently in a United Nations report that blasted the kingdom for widespread discrimination. Under Saudi law, women are subject to numerous restrictions, including a prohibition against driving and a requirement that they get a man's permission to travel or have surgery.

A businesswoman told the Times of London this month that she was detained and strip-searched by the religious police for holding a meeting in a coffee shop with male colleagues.
Two years ago, a teenager was raped by seven men who found her alone with a man unrelated to her. The governmentsentenced the 19-year-old woman to 200 lashes and six months in prison for being in the company of a man who wasn't a family member or her husband. She waslater pardoned. The seven rapists were sentenced to two to nine years in prison.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/02/12/saudi.valentine/index.html

thats wild. i cant believe how crazy their system is when it comes to women.

Originally Posted by Purple Face

Banning Valentine paraphernalia = fine, understandable
Banning a color = fail, irrational

word i was thinking the same thing. i guess red is just that sexy. but i'm willing to bet all the dudes out there with serious cake are celebratingvalentines with their wifeys.

Recently, from reading various stuff over the past few months, I have come to the conclusion that the UAE and Saudi Arabia just suck (for us Americans atleast. HUGE conflicts of intrest).

Worst holiday in the world...a way for people to make money and exploit...flowers? chocolate? all this other crap....

i think saudi wins on this one!

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Man Muslims continue to give other Muslims a bad name
smh.gif
yeah, it's sad... not every country is as good as the usa, as much as i hate some things about this country.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by 1 IN A BILLION

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Man Muslims continue to give other Muslims a bad name
smh.gif
yeah, it's sad... not every country is as good as the usa, as much as i hate some things about this country.
indifferent.gif

Wow, I just noticed he said that.
indifferent.gif
Indeed. Those are thererules.No drugs and no alcohol. Women should have rights though.
Valentines Day is a Hallmark holiday seeing that it has nothing to do with the martyrdom ofSt. Valentine. The United States is not the only country that celebrates it though. In Iran while they practiced Zoroastrianism, their was a day dedicated tolove that goes as far back as the 20th century BC.

Originally Posted by copped

Worst holiday in the world...a way for people to make money and exploit...flowers? chocolate? all this other crap....

i think saudi wins on this one!

couldn't agree with you more. it's the biggest gimmick to get people to spend their money, and of course, the suckers for love will fall for it.

they have different beliefs....most of the women probably wouldnt care....the women they're arent drama queens like here...if you dont like it then dont gothere simple as that. US should be the last ppl to judge ppl when ppl die randomly in school shootings

Some of you sound very salty about Valentine's Day. I imagine anybody who complains about being given a free day to celebrate must be off their rocker.

THIS is why people have stereotypes about ALL Muslims being radicals - because SOME of them take things too far, WAY too far. It sounds extremely uptight overthere. People need to relax and enjoy themselves.

Back
Top Bottom