School me NT: on former quality of JB products

K I thought all this was fake and everyone was whining all the OG collectors being elitest talking about the quality issues, but its really true...my roommatehas a pair of 01 retro xi's i sold him and he wears them a lot they are still clean great condition, i un-ds my cdp xi's yesterday, go to clean themtoday thinking of selling them because they fit a little large, and patent leather creasing, already after one wear, the rubber midsole had dirt and is alreadyalmost scuffing, i thought it was a joke but its really made me question buying jordan releases, space jams are my favorites, and id almost rather buy a pairto sell and buy a vnds 01 pair, either that or stick to sb's. i dont know about the og nike jordans cause i havent had them since i was a little kid, butthe new quality is really lacking i am not a believer

^^ 01's XIs are good, but not perfect.
Original XIs are the best. If you think that 01's are good, then you should literally HOLD the 96's in your own hands.
That's when you know that Collezione's are worse than Converse.

Originally Posted by brooklynnyc3000

Originally Posted by Dbacolypse

Better leather, better nubuck, better rubber, better foam midsoles, better air pockets, better zoom...pretty much everything about the og's was better quality.
- Word is born.

Back in the days, the Signature Air Jordans were actually meant for basketball. Now it's just meant for casual wear.

JB got team Jordans for the court.

Long time ago, dey had good quality
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Now...
indifferent.gif
dey $%#!*$ the aquas & cdp 12's up puttin a shineycoat on'em...
177.gif
177.gif

Originally Posted by SW33TS1NC3R1TY

Better leather, better nubuck, better rubber, better foam midsoles, better air pockets, better zoom...pretty much everything about the og's was better quality.
- Word is born.

Back in the days, the Signature Air Jordans were actually meant for basketball. Now it's just meant for casual wear.

zoom is better now then back then....but everything else is accurate.
Zoom is better now in newer numbered J's including the 2009's and other other Nike shoes, but not better in the retro J's. I guess itcould be a difference of opinion.

funny thing my friend who has a good amount of og's let me try on a pair of his 1994 III's (thought i was dreaming) and i now understand what u olderheads are talkin bout with the quality issues.......thanks for the advice guys much appreciated

all i know is mediocre leather. i started in 06 w. mars IVs. I have Dark charcoal VIIs from 02 but i wouldn't no good quality if it was right in front ofme

Originally Posted by nublee

- Word is born.

and even the team jordans don't stand up too well
smh.gif
I have to disagree because I have a two pairs of Melo M3's as a my beaters and they are barely creased and they still feel verycomfortable!...And I also think JB knows that people are not playing ball in retros so they use those cheap materials... Look at the XX3's and the2k9's they have some great quality!...along with the fact that they know people will buy anything with that jumpman logo on it

I think the only way for the younger heads to truly understand what us older heads complain about is for you guys to try on a pair, like rockinjs23 stated afew posts above me.
You can look at pics on the internet all day of older retros compared to newer ones, and still not understand until you try on a pair of og's or pre 03retros.

I miss the feeling of picking up a suede release and not having to inspect it to find numerous problems. I'm not one to usually complain about quality, butsuede releases used to not have any of the problems we see now.

the retro 2003 xii playoff's feel like newspaper compared to the og xii playoff's from 1996, the difference is night and day. everything pre-2001 isjust top teer.

this post is summed up real quick. og xii. theses things are built like tanks. i dug ditches in my og taxis and years of wear and could still outlast the packtaxis. you can put a grenade in a og xii and still could be balled in. thats the difference.

You won't go wrong with older Jordans I don't care what anyone says. Just spend the extra money and it will be well spent trust me.

Materials, fit, comfort, it was all better on the OG's. 1994,99-2001 were the best years, however, 2002 was not that bad, the retro VII's were madepretty well, after that it all went down hill. I remember the Olympic VII's release, it was the first time i had to go back and forth to the mall to returna shoe twice. I normally wear an 11.5, ok cool. I purchase an 11.5 its too tight. Ok go back and get a 12, its way too big, unfortunately for myself they donot make an 11 3/4
laugh.gif
Also the DMP XI"S which everyone seems to sweat beyond belief was HORRIBLE. Because of the banana shape on them, and the placementof the patent leather, the heal of the shoe would pull down off your foot. I remember thinking how the hell could they have not figured this problem BEFOREreleasing them. The patent leathers placement prevents proper toe flex thus causing the heal to be pulled down. This was NOT the case with the 2001retro's, not to mention the patent leather on the 01's was much softer and flexible. JB's fit, comfort, shape, materials just went to......... wellyou know.

Originally Posted by mrflightclub23

And I also think JB knows that people are not playing ball in retros so they use those cheap materials... Look at the XX3's and the 2k9's they have some great quality!...along with the fact that they know people will buy anything with that jumpman logo on it
QFT. People often talk about the quality of JB and how bad it is, when they really mean JB retros. The quality of the retros has definitelyslipped over the years, likely for the reason mrflightclub23 mentioned: they're not used to ball in. The quality of the newest shoes from the signatureline is quite nice. The XX3 and 2k9's, as mentioned, are perfect examples. Granted, if you guys like quality, I recommend getting the signature shoes whenthey first release because I'm pretty certain that 7-10 years down the line when the XX3 and 2k9 are undoubtedly retroed, the quality will bedisappointing.

Between 94-99, you just got what you paid for -- a true replica of a shoe Mike glorified on the court.

The first retros of the o.g. color I, IIs, and IIIs (with Nike Air on the back with the retro card box).

The o.g. colorways of the IVs, Vs, and VIs from 99 - 01.

You just had pride in what you wore, because it was pride put into the product made.

Now, psht.

[Biggie] "Game Done Changed".

Get some solid worn (but good condition) black IVs from 99... then compare to the CDP joints released last year... smh.

Originally Posted by Paul is a Reseller ph1k85

The recent retros such as the V's are yellowed straight out the box.
In the past, they had to be worn a good amount for them to yellow.
The V's used to use real 3M reflective material on the tongue, which literally "glowed". Now they have downgraded to some lowerquality material that is not very bright.

What up NT, it's been a while but I had to reply to this one cuz youngsters just don't get it. Basically it's "RETRO's" thatwe're all complaining about, cuz we compare them to the original's and like everybody is saying, it's no contest. From the fine leather tosynthetic leather, extra cushioning to hardly any, clean suede to dusty and faded looking suede, colors are off and whatever paint they're using on thesoles now a days is just wrong. No better example the retro IV, a mere image of the original. Again this is retro's (although that's their big moneymaker)I speak of. I think everything else JB is doing from their line is great quality, just stop charging us up the wazoo for generic feeling retro's, itstill bares the name JORDAN which should stand for greatness. That's how I feel about it. Make it the way you made it originally.

better price and better box and better kicks colorway and everything else

Really the only way to explain it is to buy a pair.

You'll never look at this trash JB puts out again as anything halfway decent once you have some OG's. Newer stuff is just terrible.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

Materials, fit, comfort, it was all better on the OG's. 1994,99-2001 were the best years, however, 2002 was not that bad, the retro VII's were made pretty well, after that it all went down hill. I remember the Olympic VII's release, it was the first time i had to go back and forth to the mall to return a shoe twice. I normally wear an 11.5, ok cool. I purchase an 11.5 its too tight. Ok go back and get a 12, its way too big, unfortunately for myself they do not make an 11 3/4
laugh.gif
Also the DMP XI"S which everyone seems to sweat beyond belief was HORRIBLE. Because of the banana shape on them, and the placement of the patent leather, the heal of the shoe would pull down off your foot. I remember thinking how the hell could they have not figured this problem BEFORE releasing them. The patent leathers placement prevents proper toe flex thus causing the heal to be pulled down. This was NOT the case with the 2001 retro's, not to mention the patent leather on the 01's was much softer and flexible. JB's fit, comfort, shape, materials just went to......... well you know.

Not to mention the CDP XI cushioning might not have even beat out a pair of chucks for comfort. They were an atrocity. Sold my pack within 48 hrs. It actuallymade me sick to my stomach how they murdered my fave shoe of all time.

Back
Top Bottom