SEATTLE SEAHAWKS THREAD

ESPN710 Seattle definitely, and I just listen to Brock and Danny...not really a fan of Danny, but Brock Huard is pretty good. Coach Carroll is on there every Monday, and they interview players quite frequently.

Elpablo, I contemplated using PayPal but went with my card after seeing it was a 2-3 difference.

Last edited:
I can rock with 950 and 710 either way respectively 

I didnt realize when I chose paypal I would have to wait for them to give the actual price, but I've dealt with the same situation when ordering out of the states, so I have no problem waiting

what station is the best that discusses the Seahawks

is it just ESPN 710?

kjr has hugh millen, but he is like the ninjahood of sports radio. he smart about his topic but when he is wrong he will never admit it

I'm definitely not a fan of Hugh Millen. 950 just has way too much of him during football season. And Mitch gets on my nerves too nowadays.

710 with Brock and Danny is good stuff. Brock gives me more insight without the stuttering and hardheadedness of Millen.

Brock Huard is the best, by far. I do enjoy Softy though because he at least has a sense of humor.

It is worth mentioning John Clayton though, because he's on 710 ALL THE TIME and he does talk about the Seahawks a lot. It's kind of nice having him as a local, honestly.

Stephen Williams balling out there. Would love to see him get some more reps with the first team next week.

Christine Michael was showing out yesterday too, his burst is insane. The 3-headed attack is going to be :x

Brady coming for that starting role :nerd:

Crazy to think, the most concerning thing for me thus far has been Russell Wilson and his inconsistencies. Nothing to lose sleep over as of yet though but it's something to keep track of.

Seen this on Field Gulls the other day, this article was written for folks like me 
laugh.gif
 Im still not too worried but his overthrowing is something that catches my eye. Our line needs Carp back as well

[h2] [/h2][h2]A quick note on Russell Wilson's overthrow "problem" and panicking[/h2][h2] [/h2]
By Aaron Di Silvestro  on Aug 23 2013, 10:58a 144

20130817_jrc_sn8_181.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

[color= rgb(38, 53, 100)]STAY CONNECTED[/color]    

Try not to panic over small sample sizes. Actually, don't be a try-doer be a do-doer.

TWEET  (6)  SHARE  (5)  144COMMENTS  ⋆REC (5)

During the pre-season game against whoever it was we played last week a number of overwrought commenters decided that Russell Wilson had an overthrow problem. I'm not here to point fingers or call names but those people were being idiots. Objectively.

Wilson's stat line, as Danny dryly noted in the post game, was a kinda okay 8 for 12 and 127 yards and 2 TDs.

At this point even if you agree with my implied message that there isn't a problem you're probably grumbling that stat lines still can't make up for scouting. I know that's putting words in your mouth but that's my prerogative as the writer. I'll put anything I want in your mouth and you'll like it. For now though just words.

The thing is that I agree. For small sample sizes, and for preseason in particular, scouting is just plain more important than stats. But you still need to inform your scouting with a knowledge of how numbers work if you're not going to be an objective idiot.

Here is how the thought process works when you panic over a small sample size:

That chart looks weird. It's because "Am I worried?" is on top. That's intentional on my part. Even though the throw comes first  in the decision tree the dominant vertex is not "Wilson overthrew it" instead it is "Am I Worried." Every time there is an overthrow you do the worry check and eventually you'll decide that there's a problem and look for the cause. That's not analysis or scouting, that's narrative.

Scouting would be looking at his throwing motion without starting at the conclusion that he has an overthrow problem. Analysis would be looking at the numbers to see if he does have an overthrow problem. Narrative is saying, he overthrew four times, he has an overthrow problem.

I think it's difficult to overturn bad narrative with good scouting because it's so subjective. The numbers on the other hand are not. They're objective. Objective and stupid crazy sexy.

If you found yourself wondering if Wilson was having problems with overthrowing you should have first asked yourself if Wilson could have an overthrow without it being a sustainable problem. The answer is obviously yes. Then you should have asked yourself it it was possible for those events to occur close together by chance. Again, yes. Then you should have busted out the old stat text book and seen what the probability was. Then you could make an informed conclusion.

I'm going to make some assumptions here with the huge list of complicated numbers you need to do this problem but you can change them to suit.

Assumptions: Wilson can overthrow on 1/4 of his incompletions without it being a problem we need to worry about.

That's it. That's all we need.

Now the math savvy will recognize that if we call all four incompletions overthrows (were they? According to Danny over twitter "no" - this is how I do research) then there is only a 4% chance of that happening (.25^4) at our assumed overthrow level! Wilson has a problem! Except we've seen Wilson play in something on the order of twenty games of football. The probability that this will have happened once? .56 =1-.96^20.

Assuming worst case numbers you guys are worrying over something that was odds on to happen by chance. Stop that.

The reality is that you don't even need to do the math to arrive at appropriate conclusions. You can get a pretty good intuitive sense for when something is a trend or chance by feel if you pause to ask yourself which you think it is. If you don't know the answer then, yeah, break out the calculator. But after just a few times around that block you shouldn't need it to forestall the panic.

That's all. Now I'm going to go look for some other things to put in your mouths.

Back
Top Bottom