Selma MLK Film Starring David Oyelowo, Cuba Gooding Jr., Oprah Winfrey, Common RD: 1/9/15

i dont understand why people are "getting tired" of these movies?

...maybe you shouldn't watch them. 

This is part of the reason I don't want to see it in the movies...I feel like they purposely released it around this time where we as black people are vulnerable & pretty feel obligated to support the movie since it deals with one of our most influential figures & one of the worst days in our march for civil rights

On a side note I've walked across that bridge before that was chilling experience
Well, why wouldn't they release it during the time it has the highest earning potential?

I don't understand why people on here aren't supportin this film..

It is a very real feelin film..the parts with Oprah..the bridge scene..very chilling stuff..

I'm confused, as little as its done, how are yall tired of our story being told on film? We should definitely expand, but let's not act like history gave us many bright spots. We have what we have.

Those the same ppl that claim tyler perry is stereotyping blacks but dont want to support black history on film
mean.gif

mean.gif
ppl are lost
no its just they keep on recycling the same add black folks over and over again... there has been 100's 1000's of great black folks...but nope they just keep on talking about and making movies about the same ole same black folks.... 

i mean has there been a major black panther movie... hell a crispus, tubman.... washington carver.... geronimo, so on and so forth.... its like ok every once in a blue moon we will give yall a decent positive movie of blacks in a positive light.... and well what a surprise it directly/indirectly ties with mlk....

its like as if he is the only black person who has ever did anything of significance or is important

I'm confused, as little as its done, how are yall tired of our story being told on film? We should definitely expand, but let's not act like history gave us many bright spots. We have what we have.
I think people are tired of the, "Only MLK, Malcom X, and Rosa Parks helped the civil rights movement" storyline that we have been fed over the last 50 years.

Taking my daughters next weekend. Does anyone who's seen it already think it would be too graphic for children?

I think people are tired of the, "Only MLK, Malcom X, and Rosa Parks helped the civil rights movement" storyline that we have been fed over the last 50 years.
exactly its as if only 3 n's ever did anything in the entire existence of black ppl.... and even with those same folks they still water down and half tell the truth

This pretty much sums it up. You go from that and it jumps to athletes and entertainers. That's people's perception of Black History. There's no in between. It's sad.

Those the same ppl that claim tyler perry is stereotyping blacks but dont want to support black history on film :smh:

:smh: ppl are lost
no its just they keep on recycling the same add black folks over and over again... there has been 100's 1000's of great black folks...but nope they just keep on talking about and making movies about the same ole same black folks.... 

i mean has there been a major black panther movie... hell a crispus, tubman.... washington carver.... geronimo, so on and so forth.... its like ok every once in a blue moon we will give yall a decent positive movie of blacks in a positive light.... and well what a surprise it directly/indirectly ties with mlk....

its like as if he is the only black person who has ever did anything of significance or is important

Thanks for responding to that kid. He goes thread to thread sounding like a shucking teenager

I dont think it would be, at the most just cursing

Cursing they can handle. Light violence they can handle as long as people aren't getting their heads busted open with blood gushing out, etc. I know the history of the events. :lol:

I'm asking for people that have seen it is it graphically violent? I want them to know what happened but there's only so much an 8 year old can take visually and I'm not trying to stunt my kid's psyche with something crazy. Feel me?

I'm tired of the same old slavery/civil rights pics...therefore I don't even watch them.

mean.gif

I'd like to see a Selassie movie.

Last edited:
This is the way history almost always works, it gets down whittled down over time to

Great man did x.

Great man did y.

It's obviously more complex than that, and of course many people are involved, but thats what history class is for, films are always going to narrow the focus onto to key figures.

exactly its as if only 3 n's ever did anything in the entire existence of black ppl.... and even with those same folks they still water down and half tell the truth

You acting like most of the history they teach us in school growing up isnt watered down & half tell the truth

No matter who they make the movie on it isnt gonna be 100% factual, most of our history is a theory anyways, atleast the civil rights movement wasnt that long ago & we can actually gather info from ppl who lived it

I dont think it would be, at the most just cursing

Cursing they can handle. Light violence they can handle as long as people aren't getting their heads busted open with blood gushing out, etc. I know the history of the events. :lol:

I'm asking for people that have seen it is it graphically violent? I want them to know what happened but there's only so much an 8 year old can take visually and I'm not trying to stunt my kid's psyche with something crazy. Feel me?

Its too much for an 8 year old. For a teen, I think it would be OK.

oyelowo did a GREAT job. There were times I was watching him perform and was like 
eek.gif

Dude has a bright future man. 

But do you understand how Hollywood works?

If Xmen or Spiderman isn't successful, you dont get Blade or Spawn.
I'm not looking at it from a studio exec standpoint, but as a guy tired of seeing the same stories rehashed decade after decade...

There's hardly anything new coming down the pipeline, and the stories aren't varied enough when you're talking about dealing with a majority black cast.

The lack of imagination in most films catering to black audiences is the main problem.

Back
Top Bottom