Serious Topic. Your feelings on suicide vol. weak or strong

it's the most selfish act someone can do. see when you decide you no longer want to be here, you take the easy way out a quick few seconds and it's allover. but what about the people that are left here to mourn your absensce? to question what they did wrong or where they should've stepped in. it's notfair it's not right. but a lot of things aren't fair or right in the world, yet they continue to happen, suicide being one of them. it's sad butit's life...well, actually it's death. SiGH

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

Originally Posted by seventh letter

How does it make you a strong person if you commit suicide oding on pills

Now jumping from a building on the other hand...
Word, you gotta be really brave to jump off a building.

indifferent.gif
I don't know how you can disagree with that, that's the hardest way to commit "that" imo

i dont think its as black and white as just strong/weak.

there is usually a mental/emotional struggle that takes them out of their own sanity.

i cannot fathom someone actually going to that length, especially if it wasn't a completely last resort.

there are so many venues to get help nowadays, that it is truly sad how misguided some get.

Originally Posted by eye see soles

I wouldn't call it weak because sometimes there are hereditary traits the person has (depression, anxiety, stress, cancer, etc.) that drives them to take their life.

It's not strong either.

It's just fate.

Wow.. That's deep.

Man, I had a epiphany on this subject on a balcony (BTW, I'm wasn't jumping, just smoking a cigarette and enjoying the scenery.) I was watching thishomeless man, with one leg in a wheelchair, rolling himself to this water outlet. You know the water outlet, where you attach a hose to it to wash your car.And this homeless man leaned over, almost tipping over his wheelchair, just to turn on the water and have a sip. After he was done, he bounce back in hischair, and kept it rolling. It made me think. Damn if this man can do that for just 1 sip of water. Life is truly truly a precious thing. I just felt likenothing in life can be that bad for you to commit suicide. But the thing is, an issue like this is never black and white. It has its gray area for me too. Ifyou are old, and you are suffering from pain and an illness, and you feel like you can't take it anymore. I don't see how you can force him to live inpain.

I cant judge anyone, or their actions upon themselves. What they choose to do, is their choice, brought about by a timeline of issues, stress, and otherproblems.

As for me, I'm not religious so I'd be too scared to kill myself, not knowing what would happen after that last single second of life. Would I just belying in dirt forever? Or were the Bible and other scriptures right. Would I be whisked away to heaven, even though I commited a sin? Would I be sent to hell?Too many questions, no answers. I'd battle through it, no matter what, and prove to anyone and everyone, most importantly myself, I'm capable ofovercoming anything in my way.
If I had a mental illness beyond my control, who's to say what would happen.
I just couldn't imagine leaving my friends and family in that fashion, leaving their last impression of me as someone so disturbed I'd kill myself. Andover what? Some small problems in the sense of the universe.

if they feel its a must, then go ahead, even tho i havent lost anyone close to me due to suicide, so maybe my views are skewed.

This is a personal subject for me.

I just recently had a cousin who committed suicide on November 13th, 2008.

She graduated from Spelman, had her own magazine, just recently gotten a job with the Boston Globe (Coordinator for a teen magazine dealing with...teen suicideand depression, how ironic.)

My cousin Angie was only 25. Making $60,000 a year at that young of a age, would think that problems would surface and disappear. I guess not.

She was beautiful, talented (LOVED TO PAINT.) Artistic, beautiful...but hurt.

She was found hung in her apt. We may never know why, but all that we know was that whatever she was dealing with...she couldn't deal with it anymore anddecided to end her own life.

I just hope she's at peace with herself and whatever problems she had, I hope they're gone now.

frown.gif

I think suicide tells that the person was either weak or afraid of the results of the conflict/problem they where going through. So I guess they end it beforeit reaches its peak. All people suffer with problems in life some can take it and the others cant. IMO when they commit suicide its like a cry for help thatwas never answered or never heard.

Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem...

My cousin jumped off the bay bridge back in 07' devistated the family...

I can't judge people only pray that they get through their issues before it gets that bad

This is ironic. First of all, i regard suicide as a non-necessarily beneficial attempt to create "something". I don't neccessarily mean to say itis futile action or mark of weakness. On the contrary, its takes great courage to be able to TAKE YOUR OWN LIFE. in that sense, one becomes most human in anact of self-destruction. you take full control of yourself and deactivate what nature essentially intended to be a slave. i believe suicide to be the mostHUMAN thing one can be capable of doing. societies definition of humanity is much different than mine. society is not intelligent and is diluted.
now, one would commit suicide for two reasons: 1) as an act of altruism or 2) as an act of egotism. If one attempts to deactivate themselvs out of somealtruistic desire, that person is hoping to give someone else an easier physical life. this self-deactivating person holds society (however impotent it may be)to a high regard and wants these people to live comfortably by sacrificing him/herself, having deducted enough proof of such a result.
A person may also want to commit suicide as a means to deactivate him/herself due to the realization that HIS/HER life would be easier without society. it isunderstandable, that one may want to remove themselves from the stupidity of modern humanity. suicide is a humanistic form of escape (and, in my opinion, notan EASIER way out; i dare you to stick a knife in your throat and tell me how easy it is to conjure the courage to make such a decision).

society is nationalistic and, because of this, will gravitate towards the most local of belief systems. In Japan, suicide was not considered something for theweak to perform. it was an act of courage; a belief I am most inclined to agree with.

I'm probably gonna catch a lot of heat, but I don't really see it as that big of a deal.

Some people don't see life the same way as others. To be quite honest, a lot of times I feel like i'm just here going through the motions.

I wouldn't consider myself depressed in any way, but if I were to die anytime soon, it just doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal. If forwhatever reason I felt compelled to be more of an action taker on any particular day, it'd still be the same, lackluster event. Seconds after I die,i'll be replaced by new life and the cycle will continue. Probably even faster because i'm Chinese and we multiply like rabbits.

A friend of mine decided to take his life a couple of years ago. Nobody knows why he did it, but as a friend, I think the best thing I can do is to trust hisjudgment.

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

She graduated from Spelman, had her own magazine, just recently gotten a job with the Boston Globe (Coordinator for a teen magazine dealing with...teen suicide and depression, how ironic.)

My cousin Angie was only 25. Making $60,000 a year at that young of a age, would think that problems would surface and disappear. I guess not.

She was found hung in her apt. We may never know why, but all that we know was that whatever she was dealing with...she couldn't deal with it anymore and decided to end her own life.

I just hope she's at peace with herself and whatever problems she had, I hope they're gone now.

frown.gif
dam dude theres not even a slight hint on way she hung herself? I mean I dont think she just lost it overnight, most likely longterm lingeringproblem, and you guys have no clue?

wierd

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

She graduated from Spelman, had her own magazine, just recently gotten a job with the Boston Globe (Coordinator for a teen magazine dealing with...teen suicide and depression, how ironic.)

She was found hung in her apt. We may never know why, but all that we know was that whatever she was dealing with...she couldn't deal with it anymore and decided to end her own life.

frown.gif
dam dude theres not even a slight hint on way she hung herself? I mean I dont think she just lost it overnight, most likely longterm lingering problem, and you guys have no clue?

wierd
It wasn't her first or second time attempting...

She was suffering from depression for a long time.

She was on meds and seeing a psychiatrist, but you never know what may drive a person to that point.

frown.gif

its hard to say because both weak and strong can apply whichever way you back up your answer n there are so many examples for a strong argument but if i had tochoose one. id have to say strong. it takes a lot to even take risks today such as investment and big purchases whether it be housing or cars cuz one wrongmove n you could place urself in a ditch. but to end ur own life knowing its a sin(for catholics) and realizing your gonna die within the next 5 seconds isscary for anyone even da most hoodest people out there. forreal, no matter how much anyone tries to front, everyone is scared to die.

I have to strongly disagree with those that are replying with "weak" or "selfish."

The fact that we are posting on NT already establishes a certain quality of life, that is going to be different from those that consider or attempt suicide. Ifyou're considering suicide, thoughts aren't defined in terms of strong or weak, nor are they thought in terms of selfish or thoughtful. If they werethought in these terms, it implies that these people would care what other people thought, and at this juncture in their lives, their decision-making isskewed.

Those loose phrases that we may casually throw around like, "I'd rather die than . . . " become a reality, because they have reached their rockbottom where they really would rather die. Have we all had struggles? Yes, but some of us are fortunate enough to have a shining light to look forward to. Whatare one of the ways to help someone who is suicidal? Help them see those lights.

But for those that can't see it, is a pain that is not so readily visible to simply say "weak" or "selfish."

Originally Posted by 1 of 1

Have we all had struggles?
We all have struggles, every single human being on earth has struggles. The ones that give up on their struggles are weak and selfish. That'show I see things. Although their are different degrees of what you define as "struggles", there's no excuse why you should end your that'sgiven to you. I guess you see things from a different prospective if your religious, which I am.

Back
Top Bottom