Setting up a sneaker store?

Hey guys, I would just want to know some basic info on what would it take if I decided to open up a small "sneakers-only" store, Dunks, AF1's,Max's and Jordans in Europe? Do people at Nike have some strict rules deciding who may or may not sell their products, what are their requirements?

not to sound like an +%#+@+# or anything, but if you need to ask a messageboard maybe this isnt the biz for you.....

You guys completely misunderstood me, Im not asking for business advices, just for some tips, experiences on how Nike deals with small retailers...what'swrong with asking?

Wow @ some of you.
smh.gif

I'd like a little insight, as well. Owning my own sneaker store would be like a dream to me.

before Nike will even allow you to sell their product, you have to show a specific number of dollars earned per quarter. i don't know what that amount is,but it's substantial.

after that, you still won't get the opportunity to sell the shoes you want to sell. they would start you off with lower end product for a few quarters. ifyou show positive results, then they will give you the opportunity to get better shoes, and so on...

it's not as easy as you may think.

in all, the process to get to where you want to be selling their upper end shoes will take several years, if you ever even get to that point.

niketalk will be no help to you if you want that kind of advice. honestly.

Seriously, if you people don't know @#$%, then don't bother replying to this thread and bringing the negative.

OP, I don't know about Europe, but I know many people who has their own sneaker shop in Asia places, eg. Shanghai, Taipei.. But I think it really dependson what kind of shoes you want to sell. That's all I can say, hopefully someone can give some better insight, because having a sneaker store would be dope.

this negativity on NT is getting to be a problem it needs to stop ! Were all here to help each other out if you dont have anything good to say then dont sayanything and move on some of you guys are taking it way to far leap off !
mad.gif

well bro im trying to open store soon and let me tell you something its not so easy . alot of things you need to look into like competitors in your area howother stores like the one you plan on opening are doing in your region and you should really try to shoot for more then nike/jordan brand , likeadidas,puma,reebok,DC,Supra,Clae,kswiss,asics,new balance, vans, converse starting with all these brands and selling them well in store will get you on higherground with nike and theyll start to send you better and better shoes the more you show them success in your store usually they start off with sneakers likethe sweet classics,big nike,classic colored dunks and Air Force 1s and slowly move you up to misc nike basketball sneakers and little by little give you betterdunk and air force 1 relases and sneakers like hyperizes and hypermaxs and hyperdunks and kobes , pennys etc etc will start showng up at your store and if yourtrying to do the whole Jordan Brand thing like me theyll start you off with team jordans and a couple of numbered releases like some jordan 1s releases its aslow but rewarding proccess i have alot of friends who have done this and im personally asking for a sb account(not easy at all) because nike sbs and jordansare my true passion and so far so good on my end shoot for it if its something you really want . it takes time and patience good luck to you bro hit us back upwith news on how things are going !

agreed with the dude on the low end stuff first and then they will look to the numbers your stores produce...i think your best bet as with all other smallsneaker stores and even websites, you got go as a consignment store. VERY VERY doubtful you can pull numbers to get a account directly with nike unless you arethe only sneaker shop in Kazakhstan or something.

Originally Posted by osubass1

before Nike will even allow you to sell their product, you have to show a specific number of dollars earned per quarter. i don't know what that amount is, but it's substantial.

after that, you still won't get the opportunity to sell the shoes you want to sell. they would start you off with lower end product for a few quarters. if you show positive results, then they will give you the opportunity to get better shoes, and so on...

it's not as easy as you may think.

in all, the process to get to where you want to be selling their upper end shoes will take several years, if you ever even get to that point.

I've heard this same line for years, so hoow do you explain the new shops that open up around me comin out the box with the high end shoes? forretail...no consignment or re-sell

EL..

I would say OSU is correct if you have no relationship with someone at Nike..

You are correct, there are stores in our area (DC) who have opened up as Tier 0 accounts... thats almost unheard of..

But like life.. its not always what ya know.. but who ya know.

Good luck on your venture.

Some years ago there was a LONG informative thread on Opening a Sneaker Shop and it was insightful as well as scary!! lol

I see.
I wasnt saying he was wrong, but I found it odd to see shops opening with some of the hard to find shoes already

EL.. thats why I was saying both of you were right... there's no rhyme or reason to most as it isnt to those who have been trying for a while and then seea store pop up next to them which puts them at a greater disadvantage of getting that account.

I just got word, that one of the shops I had in mind specifically, is another local store that changed names, and locations and "started over"

would Nike let somebody do something like that...move from state to state, or maybe open a 2nd store? Like if you had a spot with all the hot shoes in San Franand wanted to open another operation in Seattle, could you do that with the same accounts in tact, or would you have to build up again for your 2nd store?

Im not sure how that works. I never really paid attention to how Retail works other than Merchandising.

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

I just got word, that one of the shops I had in mind specifically, is another local store that changed names, and locations and "started over"

would Nike let somebody do something like that...move from state to state, or maybe open a 2nd store? Like if you had a spot with all the hot shoes in San Fran and wanted to open another operation in Seattle, could you do that with the same accounts in tact, or would you have to build up again for your 2nd store?
It depends on how well the og store is doing, usually for a tier 0 store that wont happen , but again like already stated it depends on
your relationship with nike. For the stores I'm involved with it was a case of opening a second spot and continuing everything else.
Not tier 0 however, energy, quickstrike, adidas consortium,etc.

Doesn't anyone remember Seattle Retro Shoe Store? That guy opened up his own shoe store and posted tons of info about it here. I'm notsure if it's still open or not, but I'd try contacting the owner of that store.

That's why he was asking on a message board. Because sometimes people before him have tried it.

Back
Top Bottom