***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Ok, I just came back from the game. Today's game made me hella angry. Rowand not running to first on the K, Winn sucking, Medders sucking, Howry gettinginto the game, among other things. Anyway, looks like the playoffs are set. Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, and Rockies are going to the playoffs. I thought wemight have a chance with Cook injured, Street injured, Gonzalez was injured for a while there, and now they have to deal with Tulowitzki being out, andthey're still winning. Colorado's just playing too good.

I see some people aren't sold on Bumgarner. I think he did OK considering his first start in the big leagues, September baseball in a wild card race, andhis velocity being down. Could it be that his velocity is down because of a dead arm period? Bumgarner pitched pitched 141.2 innings in 2008 and 131.1 inningsin 2009 in the minors. Pitchers go through this type of thing.

I liked his composure. He bounced back real well after allowing a couple of solo shots. He minimized the damage, which is key for a young pitcher. Anotherthing I liked was his 4 Ks, 3 of the looking variety.

As for his stuff impressing people or not, it was hard to tell from my vantage point. I'll judge his stuff later when I have a better idea of the type ofstuff he has. Like FRANCHISE said, he's still developing. For today, he did well.

im still optimistic. we got one more series against the rockies. chances of another sweep are highly unlikely. im still pulling for them regardless.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

you JUST got back paul? 2 hours later?
We went to go eat.
laugh.gif

Maybe Bochy was getting radar-gun reports that Bumgarner was throwing mostly in the high 80s throughout his stint with a top-out of 91 mph and figured disaster might be imminent if he left him in much longer. During spring training, Bumgarner was throwing in the mid-90s, but the velocity wasn't really there during his major-league debut. He moved the ball in and out and made some nice pitches, but he didn't blow a single hitter away with a swinging strike. That isn't what you expect from a 20-year-old phenom from Hickory, N.C.

Asked about his velocity dip after the game, Bumgarner didn't duck it. He said it's been an issue in some of his most recent starts at Double-A Connecticut as well. But he isn't sure of the cause.

"I don't know," he said. "It feels the same coming out, it's just not reading on the radar gun. I guess I may be getting a little tired. I don't feel it, but I guess that's what's happening. Hard to say."

Over 25 starts, Bumgarner had pitched a combined 131 1/3 innings at Class A and AA before making his Giants debut, so it's not like he's been terribly overworked. Then again, he did just turn 20 a little more than a month ago. Perhaps he's just going through a "dead arm" period.

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Pablo signing tomorrow. Who's going?
Who's going? I don't got tickets, mainly because money's short right now, so I'll be at the Starbucks next to Lefty's sippingmy overpriced coffee.
laugh.gif

I thought about going earlier, but decided not to since I went to the Pablo signing at Sports Gallery like a month back. I kind of want to go now though to getmy 16x20 signed, but it's sold out.

Where do you get your 16x20's?

And do you get them framed after they are autographed?

The whole process is really, really expensive ...

I think Prints Plus could frame that 16x20 for you. I'm just not sure how much it costs. I don't even know where a Prints Plus is anymore after the oneat Serramonte closed down.

When you go to Lefty's and buy a ticket for the Pablo signing, they got the choice of an 8x10 or a 16x20 for you. They got two poses, one where he'sbatting righty and the other pose is him batting lefty.

Good info.

Thanks for the 411.

Gotta get a steady pay check to throw away money like that though. Na mean?

Wait, I just checked Yahoo Local for Prints Plus and they say that the one in Serramonte still is open. I thought it closed down. Oh well, I guess you can goto any frame store really to get it framed.

Let's say you get your 16x20 signed at Lefty's, they got a protective sleeve, kind of like what they got for baseball cards, so it's not totallyunprotected. It's the rigid ones so they don't bend your 16x20 or 8x10.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. It's not the exact one, this one is for a baseball card, but you get the idea.

wsmpdw.png

With a short 3 game road trip and then another 6 game road trip later this month our chances at the playoffs look slimmer and slimmer now that we're 3games back. We'll need help from SD later this week, take 2/3 from LA, then sweep the Rockies next week just to get back in the race. 'Cuz at thispoint it just seems like Colorado is never gonna lose.

Originally Posted by What up

Where do you get your 16x20's?

And do you get them framed after they are autographed?

The whole process is really, really expensive ...
I print my getty images on Adoramapix.com usually for about $10. Sometimes they have 16x20s on sale for $4.95 though. As for framing and all that,I'm waiting until I have a job to do that. As of now I have like 20 16x20s just in top loaders for protection and a bunch of jerseys just folded up inplastic bags.

I think getty is mainly for newspapers and other media outlets, but they do sell images at outrageous prices. Sometimes, however, people have"access." I have no idea how they get access, but for a limited time they can download images off getty. So once in a while I will get an email fromone of a few people I buy images off of and they tell me that they have access. I send in my list of images and they email them to me.

It's definitely illegal for these people to be selling images, but as long as I get the images I want for autographs, I'm cool.
laugh.gif

Just talked to Tim Lincecum. He said his back tightened up on the flight Sunday night from Milwaukee. He hoped to start as late as 3:30 Tuesday before trainers told him to back off. He is on muscle relaxers and sleeping better. Feels good enough to play light catch today if they will let him. Had back issues in high school and says they crop up from time to time, but it is no different from the occasional spasm someone would get from sitting in an office chair. Said he really is not too concerned. Very encouraged by the progression in the last 48 hours. Will listen to trainers and hid body, but if thr progression continues, he sees no reason he cannot pitch Monday, or earlier. Thought Bumgarner was awesome and envied his swing. I will post a fuller version with direct quotes when I return to the press box.

I thought Mad Bum was pretty solid in his first outing, While his velocity isn't there, he is still young and maybe he's just tired pitching inseptember. He seems to be a sidearmer from what I saw, and sidearmers aren't usually fireballers...He should develop into a very solid pitcher.

RaWeX05, here's your fixed sig. Pick one.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

RHoHaHdHsH?HHHWHhHeHrHeHHHwHeH'HrHeHHHgHoHiHnHgH,HHH wHeHHHdHoHnH'HtHHHnHeHeHdHHHrHoHaHdHsH.

Back
Top Bottom