Shooting reported at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.....Another one :{

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/06/us/oregon-umpqua-shooting-mother-online-posts/index.html

(CNN)The apparent online writings of the mother of the man who killed nine people at a community college in Oregon discuss guns and the autism spectrum, painting a partial picture of the environment the family lived in, their beliefs and the challenges they faced.

Online posts linked to Laurel Harper, mother of the gunman, are limited and incomplete, but they seem to indicate two things: that her son, Chris Harper-Mercer, had a developmental disorder, and that the family had a familiarity with firearms and gun laws.

On Tuesday, a spokesman for the agencies looking into last week's fatal shooting told CNN that investigators are aware of Harper's alleged social media postings and her son's online writings. Sgt. Jeff Eichenbusch of Roseburg police said that Harper is part of the investigation, just as would be any person who was close to the gunman.

Laurel Harper's apparent online writings come in the form of posts to several websites, usually about health topics. The bulk of the postings were on forums such as Yahoo! Answers and comments on NurseTogether.

Shooting at Oregon community college
15 photos: Shooting at Oregon community college
Public records link Harper to the same email address used in these posts from a Yahoo! user calling herself "Tweety Bird."

The postings, first reported by The New York Times, make references to Harper having a son who has a disorder on the autism spectrum and of the family having strong pro-gun views.

In response to a question posted on Yahoo! Answers three years ago, the account linked to Harper complains about "lame states" that consider a loaded magazine inside the home the same as having a loaded gun.

"I keep all my mags full. I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags. No one will be 'dropping' by my house uninvited without (acknowledgment)," the user Tweety Bird wrote.

Who were the victims?

In another post, answering a hypothetical question of how gunmen might be charged and sentenced, Tweety Bird argues which gun laws would apply, citing "my son, who has much knowledge in this field."

That post was from six years ago.

Oregon shooter's father: Gun laws have to change

Oregon shooter's father: Gun laws have to change 05:35
Her apparent views on guns differ largely from her former husband, Ian Mercer, who told CNN the shooting would not have happened if his son, 26, had not had access to 14 guns. All the guns were legally obtained by the shooter or family members over the last three years through a federally licensed firearms dealer, a federal official said last week.

Mercer said he has never held a gun. He doesn't want to, he told CNN. He laid out his personal philosophy on the issue: "I'm a great believer (in) you don't buy guns, don't buy guns, you don't buy guns."

Other nations don't see mass shootings at the same rate the United States does, Mercer said, asserting, "Somebody has to ask the question: How is it so easy to get all these guns?"

According to the Los Angeles Times, Mercer and Harper were married in 1989 and separated after 11 months. They divorced in 2006 and had joint custody of their son.

Ian Mercer said the son had lived with his mother. They moved to Oregon about two years ago.

Oregon shooter's dad: 'That's what guns are, the killers'

Advice on medical issues
The majority of the online posts linked to Harper, however, are not about guns or politics or law. She describes herself as a nurse, and mostly offers advice or expertise on health issues.

State records show that Laurel Harper is a licensed practical nurse in Oregon.

When strangers ask about a sore arm after getting multiple vaccines or taking vital signs or how to fill out nursing forms, Tweety Bird is generous with her responses.

Oregon shooting hero tells gunman, 'It's my son's birthday today'

Tweety Bird often shares her email address -- the one public records link to Harper -- in these posts, encouraging those with questions to reach out to her directly for additional guidance.

One area she claims expertise in is autism.

In several posts, she makes references to having Asperger syndrome, considered to be on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum. She also makes references to her son having the same developmental disorder.

While dispensing advice on handling anxiety five years ago, Harper purportedly wrote online that "I have Asperger's and I didn't do so bad. Wasn't easy (understatement) but it can be done."

Umpqua college shooting: Frantic students hid behind backpacks, chairs

In other online posts, she appears to share that "I also have an Asperger's kid," and that "my son has Asperger's. He's no babbling idiot nor is his life worthless. He's very intelligent and is working on a career in filmmaking. My 18 years worth of experience with and knowledge about Asperger's syndrome is paying off."

The account linked to Harper also makes reference to her son having been "a headbanger" as a kid, as she dispensed advice on how to deal with a child who might injure himself.

Multiple attempts by CNN to reach Harper have been unsuccessful.

What stops the mentally ill from buying guns?

What stops the mentally ill from buying guns? 02:03
Autism spectrum disorders can cause significant social impairments, communication problems and restricted, repetitive behavior patterns. But studies have shown there is no direct link between Asperger's and violence. The question was also raised three years ago, after Adam Lanza, who was said to have Asperger's, killed 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

CNN's Jason Kravarik and Patricia DiCarlo contributed to this report.

Welp

...her son, Chris Harper-Mercer, had a developmental disorder, and that the family had a familiarity with firearms and gun laws. The postings, first reported by The New York Times, make references to Harper having a son who has a disorder on the autism spectrum and of the family having strong pro-gun views. "I keep all my mags full. I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags. No one will be 'dropping' by my house uninvited without (acknowledgment)," the user Tweety Bird wrote.

I am sorry but this sorry sack of a mother should be arrested as an accomplice. She knew her son had a mental disorder and allowed him to have access to guns? I am sure she's the one buying all the prescription meds for her son too. What a complete moron! :smh:

sick.gif
 it's not fair!

This was our candle light vigil we held for Umpqua last night at the University of Oregon. 

About 400 people came out, we wrote cards to the community of Roseburg/Umpqua and had time to just reflect on everything that's happened so close to a place we call home.

Jon Oliver explains the disingenuous nature of people (politicians) who are saying this is a mental health issue as a way to deflect away attention from the gun control debate:

"Armed guards protect Senate Democrats as they demand new gun-control laws"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/8/armed-guards-protect-senate-democrats-they-demand-/

:rofl: Anyone else see the extreme irony in that?

:rolleyes

Law enforcement having guns (which they go through background checks and training before getting :rofl:), while guarding people that would be natural targets (which is their job), while they propose putting in laws that won't result in guns being ban (which you fundamentally don't understand).

And all this is also standard procedure

Nope, it don't see :lol:

Last edited:
not that its blown up yet... but there were THREE school shootings today. 3. worst in history. the problem with each passing shooting, is it spawns more copycats. gun control argument is stupid. criminals break laws. laws meant to make it harder for criminals make no sense fundamentally. u have to attack the root. the mentality of these shooters. why dont any of them value life. i would go further but it wouldnt be PC anymore so f it

One of them was a fight in the parking lot. Texas Southern was off campus. Pushing this narrative that people are getting killed at school when something happens in the vicinity.

gun control argument is stupid. criminals break laws. laws meant to make it harder for criminals make no sense fundamentally.
??????

you do know that you can have multiple laws, some making it harder for criminals and others aimed at the root cause right?

??????

you do know that you can have multiple laws, some making it harder for criminals and others aimed at the root cause right?
what law is there aimed at the mentality of people? o_O its illegal to be crazy? or illegal to not value human life? and then what? what u said makes no sense.

One of them was a fight in the parking lot. Texas Southern was off campus. Pushing this narrative that people are getting killed at school when something happens in the vicinity.
texas southern was on campus at student housing. 3rd was some insane freshman in college. 1st one was shots fired on campus but the gunman fleed. my wife works for a local cbs news station. ill take her news story over urs any day. no one said anything about people getting killed. i said shootings.

??????

what law is there aimed at the mentality of people? o_O its illegal to be crazy? or illegal to not value human life? and then what? what u said makes no sense.
so what is your solution? 

when i see "im not going to say something because its not PC" I just assume its some ignorant nonsense, please prove me wrong 

texas southern was on campus at student housing. 3rd was some insane freshman in college. 1st one was shots fired on campus but the gunman fleed. my wife works for a local cbs news station. ill take her news story over urs any day. no one said anything about people getting killed. i said shootings.

I don't care about your wife. I'm reporting what people who live down there said and other sources are saying.

so what is your solution? 

when i see "im not going to say something because its not PC" I just assume its some ignorant nonsense, please prove me wrong 
u just moved the goal posts. u just said some laws are aimed at the root, i asked u which ones, u have no reply. laws dont stop criminals. period. criminals by DEFINITION break laws. adding more laws, gives them more laws to break. thats it. at the same time, laws just inconvenience the average law-abiding citizen. if u need an example, look at airport security past 9/11. Anybody who flys knows how jacked up getting through security is. how u cant even take a full tube of toothpaste on the flight. ur practically harassed every time u step in an airport all because of the terrorist attack 14 years ago.

now if u remember it was just THIS year they did a study on the TSA to see how well theyre doing their jobs and they failed at a spectacular rate. wasn't it like they missed the vast majority of illegal items being snuck into the flights? so all this harrassment and bull******* rules to get through security...is for nothing. more laws dont stop crime. they just inconvenience the law abiding citizen who follows them.

the ONLY real solution, is to attack the root. there is something very wrong with the mindset of the youngest generation. there is a NEED to be noticed or popular or famous. so much so that theyre willing to be INfamous even for heinous crimes as long as everyone knows who they are. that plus the fact that so many people have no value for human life is a bad combination. that plus irresponsible gun-owners (half the time these kids get their parents' gun to kill people with) is a TERRIBLE combination. that plus the media turning every shooting into a circus gives them every ingredient they need to accomplish their childish goals. the mentality of the people committing these crimes is the problem. not the gun.

I don't care about your wife. I'm reporting what people who live down there said and other sources are saying.
"other sources" yea... ill take direct phone calls from local news stations over ur mysterious sources and people who live in a 100 mile radius of the attack. we all know when stuff goes down... all of the "i SEENT it!" and "yo my mans tony told me that..." people come out. cut it out.

Get More: Comedy Central,Funny Videos,Funny TV Shows
"Armed guards protect Senate Democrats as they demand new gun-control laws"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/8/armed-guards-protect-senate-democrats-they-demand-/

:rofl: Anyone else see the extreme irony in that?
You don't understand irony.

Not even gonna repeat what everyone else said :lol: but it's not extreme irony cuz those gun-control laws would help prevent random killers from getting guns and spraying the entire Senate with automatic weapons who those guards would have to try and stop. That's what the law is for, not taking guns away from trained guards.

Back
Top Bottom