Shoulder Surgery

So NT, i dislocated my shoulder initially 3.5 years ago, did PT/Rehab...which seemed good enough, until i did the same shoulder (worse) 3 months ago.
Got the MRI done and i have a Bankart and Hill-Sachs lesion which the doctor said would require surgery if i ever want to be 100% (or close to it) again. 

I have an appointment with the surgeon in about 2 weeks to discuss options/cost/rehab/recovery and to set a surgery date, but I just want to know if anyone has had this procedure done? How was the recovery? Are you back to your regular activities again? Doc gave me a rough estimate of about 4-5 months before i can start playing basketball again, which sucks, but it is what it is i guess...
ohwell.gif

So NT, i dislocated my shoulder initially 3.5 years ago, did PT/Rehab...which seemed good enough, until i did the same shoulder (worse) 3 months ago.
Got the MRI done and i have a Bankart and Hill-Sachs lesion which the doctor said would require surgery if i ever want to be 100% (or close to it) again. 

I have an appointment with the surgeon in about 2 weeks to discuss options/cost/rehab/recovery and to set a surgery date, but I just want to know if anyone has had this procedure done? How was the recovery? Are you back to your regular activities again? Doc gave me a rough estimate of about 4-5 months before i can start playing basketball again, which sucks, but it is what it is i guess...
ohwell.gif

Posting because I did the same thing couple months ago playin' soccer - fell on it dumb hard and it popped like 
sick.gif
...tried to be the tuff man and play through it a couple weeks later and it just popped out while I was runnin - that one hurt the worst - my boy tried to pop it back in (pause), but that @#* wasn't budgin'. 
sick.gif
sick.gif

I thought I was done for until it just popped back on its own when I went to sit down - felt like it was hanging by a thread...

...feels better now months later, but there are days when I can still feel it, and all the mobility isn't back - went for a rebound playin' ball and my left shoulder wasn't havin' it...

...I don't wanna go through this for the rest of my life so I've been thinking about surgery too. 

Posting because I did the same thing couple months ago playin' soccer - fell on it dumb hard and it popped like 
sick.gif
...tried to be the tuff man and play through it a couple weeks later and it just popped out while I was runnin - that one hurt the worst - my boy tried to pop it back in (pause), but that @#* wasn't budgin'. 
sick.gif
sick.gif

I thought I was done for until it just popped back on its own when I went to sit down - felt like it was hanging by a thread...

...feels better now months later, but there are days when I can still feel it, and all the mobility isn't back - went for a rebound playin' ball and my left shoulder wasn't havin' it...

...I don't wanna go through this for the rest of my life so I've been thinking about surgery too. 

Had the Bankart and Hills-Sachs procedure done about 2 years ago, best decision I ever made health-wise.
Original dislocation was about 5 years prior, even after many PT sessions and rehabbing at home I began to dislocate and sublux more and more often. Seeked out a surgeon long long after the original injury. Was on the waitlist for about a year (Canada). The surgeon found a large amount of scar tissue and multiple tears, he asked me why I didn't get it dealt with sooner as with no amount of Rehab, would I ever be able to be near 100% with the amount of damage that had accumulated. 

The surgery was actually very quick around 2 hours or less, but I was asleep for about 4 hours in total ( I was absolutely wrecked when I woke up, felt like that kid after the dentist on youtube). It felt like I got hit by a train when the drugs started to wear off but they'll give you a solid prescription for the next week or two. The arthroscopic procedure was really clean only 3 tiny holes (no real scars). The wounds closed up pretty quick and only small bandages after the first week. But the hardest part was being in a sling for that amount off time after (it feels like forever). PT was very challenging as they start you from scratch, I think I did about a 12 or 15 sessions. You'll lose a lot of strength and it'll take quite a while to get back to even (especially if it is you non-dominant hand)

Overall Recover time is really about how much Rehab you put in aside from the PT. I was back shooting around after 4 months but I baby'd it quite a bit, didn't play competitively till 6 months but I still was hesitant with it. I found swimming to be one of the better activities after the 3 month mark to start regaining strength and flexibility.

2 years post surgery now, I don't even think about it and I'd say its about as close to 100% as I could expect it.

Get it done. But do the research and prepare to put time in.

Had the Bankart and Hills-Sachs procedure done about 2 years ago, best decision I ever made health-wise.
Original dislocation was about 5 years prior, even after many PT sessions and rehabbing at home I began to dislocate and sublux more and more often. Seeked out a surgeon long long after the original injury. Was on the waitlist for about a year (Canada). The surgeon found a large amount of scar tissue and multiple tears, he asked me why I didn't get it dealt with sooner as with no amount of Rehab, would I ever be able to be near 100% with the amount of damage that had accumulated. 

The surgery was actually very quick around 2 hours or less, but I was asleep for about 4 hours in total ( I was absolutely wrecked when I woke up, felt like that kid after the dentist on youtube). It felt like I got hit by a train when the drugs started to wear off but they'll give you a solid prescription for the next week or two. The arthroscopic procedure was really clean only 3 tiny holes (no real scars). The wounds closed up pretty quick and only small bandages after the first week. But the hardest part was being in a sling for that amount off time after (it feels like forever). PT was very challenging as they start you from scratch, I think I did about a 12 or 15 sessions. You'll lose a lot of strength and it'll take quite a while to get back to even (especially if it is you non-dominant hand)

Overall Recover time is really about how much Rehab you put in aside from the PT. I was back shooting around after 4 months but I baby'd it quite a bit, didn't play competitively till 6 months but I still was hesitant with it. I found swimming to be one of the better activities after the 3 month mark to start regaining strength and flexibility.

2 years post surgery now, I don't even think about it and I'd say its about as close to 100% as I could expect it.

Get it done. But do the research and prepare to put time in.

broke my clavicle. i had the surgery to have the bone fixed with a metal plate and screws.

im nervous ill never be able to do what i used to. just im terms of playing golf, swimming, handball etc...

will i ever be the same again? im healing nicely and pt starts next friday but i need some words of encouragement

broke my clavicle. i had the surgery to have the bone fixed with a metal plate and screws.

im nervous ill never be able to do what i used to. just im terms of playing golf, swimming, handball etc...

will i ever be the same again? im healing nicely and pt starts next friday but i need some words of encouragement

Code, thanks for the info man. Your situation sounds exactly like mines.

I'm glad to know that you're back to as close to 100% as you can be. I'm mentally preparing myself for it, and i hope i dont have to wait as long as u did.

I know rehab's gonna be tough, but im determined to be back, and hearing stories like yours is encouraging thanks for the insight man.

Code, thanks for the info man. Your situation sounds exactly like mines.

I'm glad to know that you're back to as close to 100% as you can be. I'm mentally preparing myself for it, and i hope i dont have to wait as long as u did.

I know rehab's gonna be tough, but im determined to be back, and hearing stories like yours is encouraging thanks for the insight man.

I separated my ac joint and need surgery but I keep putting it off cuz i'm scared.
frown.gif
Anyone ever had this injury?

I separated my ac joint and need surgery but I keep putting it off cuz i'm scared.
frown.gif
Anyone ever had this injury?

Might be getting Tommy John surgery........
ohwell.gif
anyone ever have it??

Might be getting Tommy John surgery........
ohwell.gif
anyone ever have it??

Yes!  It hurts man.  I had my shoulder separated about a year ago playing ball and i have been putting it off too.  My doctor shook me with all the risks, and the fact that i have full feeling in my arm and it is perfectly functional.  I only have a slight cosmetic imperfection which bothers me and is the only reason i'm thinking about the surgery....but all those nerves in that area and the risks are huge so i don't no.

Yes!  It hurts man.  I had my shoulder separated about a year ago playing ball and i have been putting it off too.  My doctor shook me with all the risks, and the fact that i have full feeling in my arm and it is perfectly functional.  I only have a slight cosmetic imperfection which bothers me and is the only reason i'm thinking about the surgery....but all those nerves in that area and the risks are huge so i don't no.

So NT, just thought i'd update...
I'm booked for surgery on September 1. It was either that or August 18...well, i dont wanna spend the day before & my actual bday in the hospital 
laugh.gif

It's gonna be a Laterjet procedure. Basically, part of my shoulder socket bone has chipped off, so they have to get a graft from the the shoulder blade i believe, and screw it to the damaged area.

Recovery is about 3-6 months, so im hoping to be back playing bball competitively by Feb/March next year. 

Anyone ever got this done before?

So NT, just thought i'd update...
I'm booked for surgery on September 1. It was either that or August 18...well, i dont wanna spend the day before & my actual bday in the hospital 
laugh.gif

It's gonna be a Laterjet procedure. Basically, part of my shoulder socket bone has chipped off, so they have to get a graft from the the shoulder blade i believe, and screw it to the damaged area.

Recovery is about 3-6 months, so im hoping to be back playing bball competitively by Feb/March next year. 

Anyone ever got this done before?

Back
Top Bottom