Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by Regis

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Its not considered racist because he isnt black. If he was black, this thread would be 15 pgs by now
And thats ALL there is to it.
If Lin was black I don't see how it'd be racist of Whitlock saying his penis is small. It's just be pretty gay. Please extrapolate how it'd be racist.

I'm pretty sure OP is black. Maybe all the Asian posters in this thread should make it known that they're outraged over this. I mean really it's either racist or you're saying only black speak up when something racist is said about them. The only problem with the tweet was who tweeted it and it being unprofessional of that person. Not that it was racist or wasn't funny so therefore it's racist.

If this was a NTer who said that you all would've laughed on twitter and kept it moving and there wouldn't even be a thread. All the damn signs you're crying about were held up by Asian ppl celebrating Lin. So you're either saying they weren't and were actually mocking him or they're self hating Asians or are you saying the non Asians laughing at the signs and jokes are racist?
nerd.gif

What Im saying is that if it were a tweet playing on negative black stereotypes there would be a pretty decent uproar.
If Melo made a shot at the buzzer and someone tweeted that theyre surprised a black man was able to get something done on time I can guarantee you many people would have a problem with that. 
I remember when Lebron made his "Decision" and there were some pretty lengthy threads implying that Dan Gilbert was acting more like a slave owner than the owner of a pro team.

A few months ago you couldnt even say "animal" on NT cause people were getting offended even when it was obvious it wasnt being used with any racial implications.

So I ask you...

Can we just give all racial jokes a pass as long as its funny and with good intentions? 

Or are we only racially sensitive towards black people and everyone else is fair game?

I seen the race card get pulled too many times on NT  so Im pretty surprised to see how many people think this is ok.

Ima remember you dudes when you pull the race card for the slightest off hand comment.

Ol stereotypes are ok as long as it's about my big penis and great dancing abilities type dudes.
Why be passive aggressive with the second part?  
laugh.gif
 All the stereotypes in the second part are usually geared towards blacks.  I agree with the first part about dudes sometimes pulling the race card but the passive aggressiveness I can't roll with that. Maybe its just me but the main reason I   
laugh.gif
 about this is almost everytime somebody says the race card it pertains to black people like we are the only ones that ever use it.

If Melo made a shot at the buzzer and someone tweeted that theyre surprised a black man was able to get something done on time I can guarantee you many people would have a problem with that.

roll.gif
:lol:, Im black and that was pretty funny.
But all this Lin stuff is racist. Whether they're praising him or not. I didnt really look through this whole thread, but REGIS made a good point in his last post.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

And thats ALL there is to it.
If Lin was black I don't see how it'd be racist of Whitlock saying his penis is small. It's just be pretty gay. Please extrapolate how it'd be racist.

I'm pretty sure OP is black. Maybe all the Asian posters in this thread should make it known that they're outraged over this. I mean really it's either racist or you're saying only black speak up when something racist is said about them. The only problem with the tweet was who tweeted it and it being unprofessional of that person. Not that it was racist or wasn't funny so therefore it's racist.

If this was a NTer who said that you all would've laughed on twitter and kept it moving and there wouldn't even be a thread. All the damn signs you're crying about were held up by Asian ppl celebrating Lin. So you're either saying they weren't and were actually mocking him or they're self hating Asians or are you saying the non Asians laughing at the signs and jokes are racist?
nerd.gif

What Im saying is that if it were a tweet playing on negative black stereotypes there would be a pretty decent uproar.
I remember when Lebron made his "Decision" and there were some pretty lengthy threads implying that Dan Gilbert was acting more like a slave owner than the owner of a pro team.

A few months ago you couldnt even say "animal" on NT cause people were getting offended even when it was obvious it wasnt being used with any racial implications.

So I ask you...

Can we just give all racial jokes a pass as long as its funny and with good intentions? 

Or are we only racially sensitive towards black people and everyone else is fair game?

I seen the race card get pulled too many times on NT  so Im pretty surprised to see how many people think this is ok.

lol'd at your example 
roll.gif
roll.gif

I agree. I think most of this was done in good spirits but at the end of the day it's still alienating, dismissive, and offensive. If you're cool with this then let it be cool across the board and lets all lighten up. If not, then you're just leaving Asian people as the one race that gets ragged on without repercussions because you think it's not that bad.

Playing the "race card" implies that someone is trying to gain an advantage by falsely accusing someone of being racist. Ex: I didn't win American Idol because the judges are racist. That would be playing the race card. This has nothing to do with DoubleJs07 bringing up the racist comments that people like Jason Whitlock have made about Jeremy Lin. Get it right, my dudes. Know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.

laugh.gif
 At his comment. If I was Lin I would just fire back "at least I can see my few inches of fury when I take a piss."

I'm asian, and I'm not offended by all the Lin comments/jokes. I'm just offended by how it's so socially accepted here in America to make asian jokes. In my opinion, asians are the least respected (or is it feared?) race in America.

Originally Posted by B fr3sh

I'm asian, and I'm not offended by all the Lin comments/jokes. I'm just offended by how it's so socially accepted here in America to make asian jokes. In my opinion, asians are the least respected (or is it feared?) race in America.

grin.gif
the ignorance is strong with this one...

Originally Posted by sreggie101

grin.gif
it's his opinion and I agree

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

grin.gif
I also agree. People just insult Asians for no valid reason. Like what have Asians generally done to harm others?

Originally Posted by sole searchin

NooEra wrote:
Eh its all in good fun in this case. Who the *%+! cares?

Racism is EVERYWHERE and ITS NOT GOING AWAY in our lifetimes. The sooner ya'll realize that the better.

White folks, asian folks, black folks, people of middle eastern decent and so on and so forth; they're all racist.

Im sorry to all those who are easily offended by what some buffon has to say about your race. It will NEVER be that serious.
----------------------------------------------------

It's not even worth worrying or thinking about.
That's the thing, who does really care? No outcry about anything from this tweet yet, but if a white man, or another columnist said something about a black athlete being a gorilla, monkey, cotton picker the out cry would be insane.

It's not that serious, until it happens to black people.

*shrugs* I didn't really care much about the tweet, but it came from Whitlock who is all about no racism and defending the minorities, etc.
idk, maybe its because we have the most NEGATIVE stereotypes out there? even the whole asian small wewe stereotype is subjective, some girls dont care, while blacks are always referred to as some kind of lower-level human (your immediate choice of derogatory names is proof in itself)

Its funny comparing this thread to the one about the guy interviewing people at BYU about black history, night and day.

grin.gif
Anyone who does not think society feels this way is living in a dream world.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

grin.gif
 I also agree. People just insult Asians for no valid reason. Like what have Asians generally done to harm others?
first off, Asians are more accepted than blacks, if you disagree its because you choose to not honestly evaluate the way blacks are treated and the way Asians are treated
the only empathy you guys are granted is because you have a reputation of having the best work ethic and are still subject to racial degrading, thats whack

Originally Posted by slickp42189

first off, Asians are more accepted than blacks, if you disagree its because you choose to not honestly evaluate the way blacks are treated and the way Asians are treated
the only empathy you guys are granted is because you have a reputation of having the best work ethic and are still subject to racial degrading, thats whack
If you are talking about education and career-wise then that is debatable, but even then black people can still put themselves in a prosperous situation if they work hard. But overall and especially in Hollywood and the media that simply isn't true. They degrade Asians blatantly without thinking twice i.e. closing eyelids and the word that rhymes with "think" because they get away with it just about every time. The white folks don't do that to blacks without expecting consequences.

Lol at the tweet. Thats a good joke. You gotta listen to Patrice Oneal on opie and anthony talk about his relationship with asians. He speaks so much truth about how they treat people its hilarious.

If you are talking about education and career-wise then that is debatable, but even then black people can still put themselves in a prosperous situation if they work hard. But overall and especially in Hollywood and the media that simply isn't true. They degrade Asians blatantly without thinking twice i.e. closing eyelids and the word that rhymes with "think" because they get away with it just about every time. The white folks don't do that to blacks without expecting consequences.

any examples? I'm trying to think of this horrible oppression which Asians are going through in America and not seeing it.

Blacks more accepted in Hollywood, sports, entertainment, music

Asians more accepted in school, jobs, law enforcement, court of law, and other aspect of normal life

Now you tell me as a normal non-celeb how you would prefer to be treated?

Back
Top Bottom