Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by Chosen One

Originally Posted by kiendienn

tumblr_lz8yypli7k1qlw4nio1_500.gif
Very well put together gif.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

childs vs kobe gif still my favorite
roll.gif
kobe trying to clean childs' jersey with his elbow
roll.gif

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by NYC game

Originally Posted by superflyinchopstickninja
That paranoia is out of control here.
I find it on this site yall take everything to heart it's like we can't even say the word asian without somebody getting butt hurt.

I don't know if it's just age cause I know for sure most of you are below the age of 27, or if yall just have a chip on your shoulder. 

Maybe you got teased or bullied in high school, I don't know.
Did you read what incident this thread was referencing to?
eyes.gif

Did you read what I wrote 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

Originally Posted by CrunchyBlack9

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

...What? How did you come to that comparison?

Me saying anything racial with a friend. Me saying he is the Asian anything or the Asian version or so and so. I'm not naïve to think its ok to say something that would offend a friends sensibilities at the expense of trying to fit in. 
You didn't feel comfortable because they called him the Asian Mamba? Ok, but how is that like a Caucasian person saying the N word? You stated they where Asian themselves, they didn't say yellow mamba, which is racist. Seems you're mad at the fact they were going out of their way to praise him. It seems like people can't be proud of one of their own being in the spot light, without someone criticizing on the other end....

i never understood how pretty much every race is called by color and its acceptable except asians.. like how is white/black ok and yellow isnt? its associating race with color of skin..

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

That paranoia is out of control here.
I find it on this site yall take everything to heart it's like we can't even say the word asian without somebody getting butt hurt.

I don't know if it's just age cause I know for sure most of you are below the age of 27, or if yall just have a chip on your shoulder. 

Maybe you got teased or bullied in high school, I don't know.
Did you read what incident this thread was referencing to?
eyes.gif

Did you read what I wrote 
indifferent.gif
Asians are so sensitive
laugh.gif
... That's why people in the media take these shots publicly without thinking twice. They just think Asians aren't going to respond so it's okay to do so and there's no repercussions. Like mentioned before, it is not in the Asian culture to respond to these insults. They just keep it moving and worry about more important things like providing for their family. If anything, it's especially ironic when black people talk mess about Asians for practically no reason. Hating or discriminating someone because of their race, that sound familiar?
grin.gif
The tweet in question was clearly not "just a joke". 

Why are Asians arguing with Blacks? MonStar put it great a few pages back... we're all on the same side.

It doesn't matter if you're Black or Asian or Latino, minorities are at the bottom of the pyramid in America. We keep arguing over who has it worse, but come on, we're all at a disadvantage.

BUMP

78441-650-366.jpg

MSG Network might be the next media entity to apologize for a regrettable reaction to the success of the New York Knicks’ Jeremy Lin.

After Lin led the Knicks to a 100-85 win over the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday, the network displayed a graphic featuring the point guard. Lin’s face was posted above a broken fortune cookie with the words “The Knicks Good Fortune

Originally Posted by LDJ

Gex The Damaja wrote:
You didn't feel comfortable because they called him the Asian Mamba? Ok, but how is that like a Caucasian person saying the N word? You stated they where Asian themselves, they didn't say yellow mamba, which is racist. Seems you're mad at the fact they were going out of their way to praise him. It seems like people can't be proud of one of their own being in the spot light, without someone criticizing on the other end....

i never understood how pretty much every race is called by color and its acceptable except asians.. like how is white/black ok and yellow isnt? its associating race with color of skin..

I'm not saying that's right but the reason why I said yellow mamba would be some what racist is because it's inferring Kobe got the nickname "black mamba" because he was black, totally disregarding the presence of the snake's name. No such thing as a yellow mamba so I, imo, think it has some under laying tones, related to Kobe's nickname, but that may just be me. Every other nickname is ok with me, but just that one struck me as something else...

Originally Posted by chickhien

Lol at oppression olympics.
"change comes from within". Lets be real here. We cant expect the media to correct stereotypes if we're the ones holding up the signs.

^ That

no one will take it serious until Asians form a protest instead of filling up the building for every Knicks home/away game with these signs

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

BUMP

78441-650-366.jpg

MSG Network might be the next media entity to apologize for a regrettable reaction to the success of the New York Knicks’ Jeremy Lin.

After Lin led the Knicks to a 100-85 win over the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday, the network displayed a graphic featuring the point guard. Lin’s face was posted above a broken fortune cookie with the words “The Knicks Good Fortune

Personally, I think the only person who has the right to complain is Jeremy himself. If it doesn't bother him, then why should it bother us?

How would black people feel if they took a head shot of Chris Paul and put a watermelon and chicken next to his face

Originally Posted by tim teufel

How would black people feel if they took a head shot of Chris Paul and put a watermelon and chicken next to his face
black people didn't create watermelons and then sell them at their restaurants. 
laugh.gif

Do we know that the person who made the graphic is black? It seems like you just wanted to avail youraelf to the opportunity to take a quick cheap shot at black people

The Fact is Jeremy Lin is an underdog, and that being said he is breaking stereotypes and some people are gonna be salty. I have developed these two pictures to illustrate the words I’m Asian if it matters. Doesn’t America cheer for the underdog it would be no different were the person of an another race, was in the same situation that his is in. He would attract haters and fans as well.  It would seem American society does root for the underdog that overcomes obstacles in his way.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Dirtylicious wrote:

slickp42189 wrote:

dude, you guys go back to your country as soon as you get a degree from Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Princeton

all of my Asian/ Mid-East friends are going right back to UAE, China, Taiwan because they say they can have a better life and make more money there, im not a second generation African, all of my family is American and this is my home

and therein lies one if the many issued asians face... we are not looked as true americans.

we'll alwys be considered foreign
Yes you are.  Dude was talking crazy like there's no such thing as Asian Americas at his college.  There's a big difference between Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming.

A difference, but not that big.  Jeremy's a first generation Asian-American, his father and mother raised him traditionally, he can even speak fluent (so-so) Chinese.... so there's not that big of a difference... Jeremy's just more Americanized since he grew up here, but he's always going to identify himself as Taiwanese/Chinese before American. 

There are fifth/sixth generation Asian Americans in the U.s (completely white-washed), those folks are the biggest difference.  They can't even speak their own native tongue and some don't even acknowledge their own cultural roots, talkin about eating meatloaf or spaghetti every night for dinner,  total #%@*+@ embarrassment to Asians, IMO.  

This exchange is interesting to me. Dirty says its an 'issue' that Asian Americans arent looked at as Americans. Then we have houngcover saying Americanized Asians are an "embarassment".
laugh.gif

Dirty, how do you feel about Asians who haven't stayed true to their culture?

mayweather was still wrong. lin isn't getting all the attention ONLY because he's asian, if anything its a small part of it. its simply because he came out of nowhere, on no1's radar, without any reputation, and dominated when he was put in 7 games ago and since then we, NY, have been winning since. Lin's leadership has drastically improved the quality of basketball we play and its apparent when dantoni sits him out. THIS is why lin gets attention.

black players don't get attention is the dumbest +#@% i've heard this fool say in a min. dude forgot that many of the stars in the NBA are black. rondo sorta did for boston what lin is doing for ny, he's leading the team and setting up plays and having team basketball being played. dude got mad attention after his impact was realized.

mayweather is racist against asians
30t6p3b.gif

..btw, a lot of the signs i see aren't racist per se, rather they make clever uses of his name. plus a lot of them are made by asians because they've been pouring into games to see him play.

Originally Posted by BronLe

Why is calling Lin a Yellow Mamba bad but calling Kobe the Black Mamba okay?
Because the Black Mamba is a real snake, and it symbolizes Kobe's game. It's a nickname that he not only embraces and goes by, but its a brand. 
People are calling Lin the "yellow mamba" as a racial spinoff of Kobe's nickname. 

Duh. 

I only used black as an example because the best players happen to be black. I'm saying it would be just as bad if they took a picture of Chris Paul and put chicken and watermelon next to his face as putting Lin in the middle of a fortune cookie

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

i would say all "brown" people (Asian, middle eastern, Latino) are the least respected in this country. i have a Cambodian GF and some of the stuff i have seen and heard just blows my mind. people don't even care when they talk to them. and we all know middle eastern right now can't get a damn break, they cant even leave their own house with out someone classifying them as terrorists. and than everyone thinks all Latinos are illegal Mexicans and stand in front of home depot.
smh only reason people find this story to be amazing is because he is Asian. if he was black nobody would give a +%%@

You can't be serious man...lolIs not because he's Asian, is because of the way he turned the team around, period!...at a time when both of the Knicks Major players were out and also because is NEW YORK!...a bigger market, with more publicity....if Lin was doing this in say Portland or Toronto, he wouldn't have a fraction of the media coverage he's getting wether hes Asian or a God damn middle earth troll...in the same toll, some nobody black athlete comes out of left field and picks up the NY Knicks from the floor he would be getting just as much attention!...ya need to get over these racial barriers...as a Latino I'm stereotyped daily, I'm not bothered by it and I will say this and I don't give a damn who gets offended, black people are the most publically stereotypical individuals even to their own race....

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Jason Whitlock was totally wrong in his comment and should be reprimanded.

Yellow Mamba?  Isnt Yellow an outdated  offensive term akin to Colored....The Asian Mamba would be better

its a play on kobe's nickname. the black mamba is a snake; and its colored black. but since kobe is black too...well you see where im going with this, hence yellow mamba. but i get what you're saying, yellow in reference to asians isn't PC. they should call him something else..like honey badger
laugh.gif
The name "black mamba" is given to the snake not because of its body colour but because of the ink-black colouration of the inside of its mouth. 
Black-Mamba-Snake1.jpg

Originally Posted by NooEra

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Yes you are.  Dude was talking crazy like there's no such thing as Asian Americas at his college.  There's a big difference between Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming.

A difference, but not that big.  Jeremy's a first generation Asian-American, his father and mother raised him traditionally, he can even speak fluent (so-so) Chinese.... so there's not that big of a difference... Jeremy's just more Americanized since he grew up here, but he's always going to identify himself as Taiwanese/Chinese before American. 

There are fifth/sixth generation Asian Americans in the U.s (completely white-washed), those folks are the biggest difference.  They can't even speak their own native tongue and some don't even acknowledge their own cultural roots, talkin about eating meatloaf or spaghetti every night for dinner,  total #%@*+@ embarrassment to Asians, IMO.  

This exchange is interesting to me. Dirty says its an 'issue' that Asian Americans arent looked at as Americans. Then we have houngcover saying Americanized Asians are an "embarassment".
laugh.gif

Dirty, how do you feel about Asians who haven't stayed true to their culture?
Dude is talking crazy and with a narrow perspective. An embarrassment for not eating Chinese food? If you born and raised in American culture, how are you not an American and do not identify as being an American?

If you are an American citizen, you are an AMERICAN. There is a huge difference between those born and raised in China/Taiwan than someone who was born and raised in America.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

i would say all "brown" people (Asian, middle eastern, Latino) are the least respected in this country. i have a Cambodian GF and some of the stuff i have seen and heard just blows my mind. people don't even care when they talk to them. and we all know middle eastern right now can't get a damn break, they cant even leave their own house with out someone classifying them as terrorists. and than everyone thinks all Latinos are illegal Mexicans and stand in front of home depot.
smh only reason people find this story to be amazing is because he is Asian. if he was black nobody would give a +%%@

You can't be serious man...lol Is not because he's Asian, is because of the way he turned the team around, period!...at a time when both of the Knicks Major players were out and also because is NEW YORK!...a bigger market, with more publicity....if Lin was doing this in say Portland or Toronto, he wouldn't have a fraction of the media coverage he's getting wether hes Asian or a God damn middle earth troll...in the same toll, some nobody black athlete comes out of left field and picks up the NY Knicks from the floor he would be getting just as much attention!...ya need to get over these racial barriers...as a Latino I'm stereotyped daily, I'm not bothered by it and I will say this and I don't give a damn who gets offended, black people are the most publically stereotypical individuals even to their own race....

laugh.gif
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that his race isn't playing a major role in the publicity that he's getting.  

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by ksteezy

You can't be serious man...lol Is not because he's Asian, is because of the way he turned the team around, period!...at a time when both of the Knicks Major players were out and also because is NEW YORK!...a bigger market, with more publicity....if Lin was doing this in say Portland or Toronto, he wouldn't have a fraction of the media coverage he's getting wether hes Asian or a God damn middle earth troll...in the same toll, some nobody black athlete comes out of left field and picks up the NY Knicks from the floor he would be getting just as much attention!...ya need to get over these racial barriers...as a Latino I'm stereotyped daily, I'm not bothered by it and I will say this and I don't give a damn who gets offended, black people are the most publically stereotypical individuals even to their own race....

laugh.gif
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that his race isn't playing a major role in the publicity that he's getting.  

It is, that's not to say a black, Latino or white athlete wOuldnt get the same publicity in such a huge market like NY....and that's where you are all wrong, this story is this big because it's NEW YORK.

The fact that he's Asian with a hell of a catchy name, just makes it much easier for writers and reporters to play with.

Back
Top Bottom