Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

I agree even though I am not a collector. I am a shoe guy. I love to buy and WEAR my shoes mainly Jordans since I was 5 or 6 years old. The fad will fadem, hopefully. But I think it speaks more to the mindset of people today. They look for quick hustles and an easy way to fit in.

Just my 2 cents.

Fret not fellow enthusiasts, a time will come when these "fashionistas" posing as sneakerheads will move on to the next hot item, just be patient...

Originally Posted by AIR J XIII

Fret not fellow enthusiasts, a time will come when these "fashionistas" posing as sneakerheads will move on to the next hot item, just be patient...

I'm as old as grits and I still buy Jordans.  If you've grown up buying and appreciating sneakers, you always will. It never goes away.  It lies dormant for a while then something happens and you're right back on the hunt.  

It's not dead. 9 years after MJ's third and final retirement, they're still selling strong. And jb is definitely making less sig retros and mass producing team j's. I wish jb would do what Nike did and have multiple production dates for every retro.

Originally Posted by cashm0neyand1

As a 13 year collector i have to say yes. the sneaker culture sucks now. you cant even buy the kicks you want without going above and beyond and out of your way. i think its officially time to throw in the towel

Well said

I gave up on Jordans before the hype seemed to kick into overdrive. After 2009, I had a lil over 100 pairs of Jordans. Yea I had to camp out, but they were never as ridiculous as they are today.

The hypebeast & resellers aren't the only ones at fault. Jordan Brand altogether has been slapping it's collectors in the face with the high prices, & Micky Mouse quality. After the packs and a couple releases I couldn't bother with Jordan Brand anymore. Time to time I check up see how the sneaker game is going and it's terrible. JB wants $160 for retroes with bad material? Get outta here, I don't know how y'all can throw your money away on kicks that will yellow 1yr later.

Originally Posted by airBOZretroIII

Here it is. Been waiting for this thread since yesterdays release.
After every shoe release these days we get threads like this one from people who are salty they didn't/couldn't cop.
Its getting a bit ridiculous

Ok... So what about the people who feel like this, and didn't miss the release?

laugh.gif
i bet by the time the "fad" finishes most of us will be in our 50's, if we are alive by then

It's tough to say its dead....it's just a little unfortunate that it is ridiculous sometimes to cop these recent retros. But for the people who have been collecting and still have fire it's the best. This is an addiction that most of us have copping these Js. But I love when I'm walking down the street with OG HEAT and everyone breaks their neck cus it's something from 96 and not 2012.

As a 13 year collector i have to say yes. the sneaker culture sucks now. you cant even buy the kicks you want without going above and beyond and out of your way. i think its officially time to throw in the towel

i agree with this.  im age 31 and selling a lot on the bay cause i see where its going.   will get the jb 6 oly and some high 11s and then im out

i hope its a fad all though im young i hate to see this all happening. i hate seeing idiots older then me dressing as if they are younger than me!

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

agreed, but threads like this one popping up everyday in JB makes me feel the way I do about the JB section.

But like dude above said, I'll just slow down for right now, stack my money, and be back in full effect when everybody leaves this fad.
This, if anything the JB section is dead

Unlike cards or games, sneakers are a neccesity and people wear and use them. So the culture can never fully die.

it's gonna go up and down and you gotta take the good with the bad. The problem now imo is that it is now "cool" to wear j's in high school. unlike last year when a fraction of the people in this age group were wearing them.

Actually wouldn't you want it to die? That way you could walk into any store any time and get whatever you wanted.

I recently had this feeling about my sneakers.  I am starting to sell off my collection a little a time, and it seems like the time is right, because everyone wants Jordans right now.

Originally Posted by Sneekaz

its far from dead. it will be dead when the sneaker companies file for bankruptcy or when kids stop caring about sneakers
^Agreed. For better or WORSE, it's more alive than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

As a long time collector... (almost 30 myself) I completely agree. It's getting annoying. So many people want the shoes, and have NO idea what they are. People in Houston today are calling around looking for "shamu" Jordan 12. Yes, shamu.... As in the killer whale from sea world. %+%??I'm bout done wit Jordans. I've been done with lining up. If I really want the shoe, I will buy it, but I find myself wanting them less and less because of all the BS that comes with it
lol dude, this had me laughing out loud. Haha are kids seriously calling these shamu's? My goodness...that is so pathetic. Nonetheless, that it is pretty hilarious. 
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom