Snowboarders Please Enter..

Hank Scorpio,

My size in everything. I buy boots first, find one you like and go to board shops. I definitely recommend getting a wide board. I had too much toe drag, but I wear nike boots and they are long, I use oakley canopy for my googles. Air brakes are expensive but they are the best value since you can change lenses on the fly. But a helmet with vents and a lock on clip for googles. I used a giro surface. That board is nice but I hate the channel system for the bindings that burton uses now makes it a hassle for finding parts and service at resorts. I would wait until the end of the month that's when clearance season begins and you can get great deals on new stuff.

Hank Scorpio,

My size in everything. I buy boots first, find one you like and go to board shops. I definitely recommend getting a wide board. I had too much toe drag, but I wear nike boots and they are long, I use oakley canopy for my googles. Air brakes are expensive but they are the best value since you can change lenses on the fly. But a helmet with vents and a lock on clip for googles. I used a giro surface. That board is nice but I hate the channel system for the bindings that burton uses now makes it a hassle for finding parts and service at resorts. I would wait until the end of the month that's when clearance season begins and you can get great deals on new stuff.

Thanks for the advice, man. I really appreciate it. I was thinking of getting boots first and then working my way up to everything else. I know this is NT and we all have/had a fascination for sneakers, so, I'm sure these will be well received :lol:

View media item 822654
I used the BOA system for the first time yesterday and it's the BEST way to put on boots. Never been so much easier to put on and take off boots. I love the design too.

I'm also looking into getting the Burton Cartels. They've gotten AWESOME reviews!

View media item 822656

went today... i'm getting better and better :smokin
i really got to work on putting my dominant leg in the back :smh:

I know what you're going through, my man. I was FINALLY able to board toeside properly for the first time yesterday. Granted, I did take a lesson and it really helped me.

I'm picking up new boots and bindings when '14 stuff goes on sale... Also looking at those Cartels. Not sure which boots I'll grab yet.

Toe is cake once you learn the mechanics. Its all about using your front foot as your "pivot", swing your hips and back leg (sorta like toeing first with your back leg) and as soon as you feel it, start toeing with your pivot. Its all about sticking it too, once you find the right pressure that gets you to turn toeside you basically got it. Dont be afraid to whip around the board, you have more control than you think. Just stick it, if you fall youre either putting too much swing or not enough.

Hank Scorpio,

Thanks for the advice, man. I really appreciate it. I was thinking of getting boots first and then working my way up to everything else. I know this is NT and we all have/had a fascination for sneakers, so, I'm sure these will be well received :lol:

View media item 822654
I used the BOA system for the first time yesterday and it's the BEST way to put on boots. Never been so much easier to put on and take off boots. I love the design too.

I'm also looking into getting the Burton Cartels. They've gotten AWESOME reviews!

View media item 822656

I'm taking the same approach as raij above me, and those boots look like they're just what I need. Do they run big or true to size?

Last edited:
Just got back from Windham Mountain in Upstate New York--Had a blast!

I've gone boarding several times, but I finally got a lesson and I improved ten-fold. I can finally toe turn and lock in different turns as I go down the slopes. Went down some blues with partial ease as well. I went down the blue during the end of the day, so, I had to deal with a lot of ice. It's never fun to go over a sheet of exposed ice
mean.gif

Thinking about getting my own board and boots with bindings and helmet.

Can anyone please give me some recommendations for a beginner board and all the stuff I need? Money isn't an issue. Although, I don't want something that's overkill. I won't be doing tricks or jumps anytime soon or ever will for that matter. I just want something that'll last and give me a smooth ride with tight response. I've heard good things about the Burton Easy Livin Bend: Flying V. I was told I need something with a camber. Makes sense why I'd need it.

Also, can someone show me any good value goggles too? I finally started gaining some speed and that wind is killer along with the sun.

I know my sizes too.

Boots: Size 10
Board: 156cm
Bindings: Large
Helmet: Medium
I've broken my wrist snowboarding, taken my fair share of face plants, but the worst pain I always feel is losing an edge doing backside carves on ice and falling directly on both knees. Literally takes my breath away. Don't know what it is about my knees.

Last edited:
Toe is cake once you learn the mechanics. Its all about using your front foot as your "pivot", swing your hips and back leg (sorta like toeing first with your back leg) and as soon as you feel it, start toeing with your pivot. Its all about sticking it too, once you find the right pressure that gets you to turn toeside you basically got it. Dont be afraid to whip around the board, you have more control than you think. Just stick it, if you fall youre either putting too much swing or not enough.

Yeap, you're absolutely right about that. The next thing I want to learn is how to stop toeside.

I'm picking up new boots and bindings when '14 stuff goes on sale... Also looking at those Cartels. Not sure which boots I'll grab yet.

Do you know where I can go to grab the 2014 sale items? Online is cool with me too. I found The-house.com to be good, but they sell out quick.

Yeap, you're absolutely right about that. The next thing I want to learn is how to stop toeside.

Do you know where I can go to grab the 2014 sale items? Online is cool with me too. I found The-house.com to be good, but they sell out quick.
dogfunk.com has a sale going right now.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much a beginner and want to start taking this seriously, I'm 6'0, 190lbs, would a 156W too small of a board?

http://www.dogfunk.com/burton-blunt...6d2lkZSBzbm93Ym9hcmQ6MTo0OndpZGUgc25vd2JvYXJk

I'm 5'10"-5'11 and I was told 156cm was perfect for me. I think you'd need a 158cm.

What's your show size though? Because I don't think you need a wide board unless you have a 12-13 size shoe.

I was going to pick these up in an 11.5
http://www.dogfunk.com/nike-snowboarding-vapen-boa-snowboard-boot-mens

You could rock with a 156 no problem. Friend is about your height and weight, hes in the military and for a rental he had a 156 (not wide) and he liked it. Dont think you need a wide board. If you are getting your own board, try for a 157-158.

I was on a 154cm yesterday and It wasn't bad at all. Handled really great.

Thanks!

Has anyone ever heard of Never Summer snowboards? I just got back from Paragon Sports in NYC after work and the salesperson spoke VERY highly of it. I'm looking into either the Never Summer Proto or the Never Summer Cobra.

Anyone have some input about these boards?

View media item 716418NeverSummer Evo board 153, Ride El Hefe Bindings, Nike Kaiju QS boots... size 11, no drag at all. the wedgie footpads on the bindings help with that. I swear by NeverSummer Been doing it for about 20 years now. I'm 30 and about 185lbs. my other setup is a burton Shaun White Yeti board with burton P1 bindings, and ride boots...more for powder riding. these new boards allow u to stay shorter, while having more control and pop. New Libtechs with magnatraction are nice too

Anyone know a good beginner board for under $200 (on sale) that comes in a 160+? I'm looking for my dad and that's his budget.

Honestly go on craigslist. They have great deals all the time, you could get a whole decent setup (board, bindings, boots) for around $200.

Thanks!

Has anyone ever heard of Never Summer snowboards? I just got back from Paragon Sports in NYC after work and the salesperson spoke VERY highly of it. I'm looking into either the Never Summer Proto or the Never Summer Cobra.

Anyone have some input about these boards?

I wish I got one of these instead of burton white pro model last year, These guys are coming up, everyone who has one loves it. Handmade, three year warranty. Expensive and I never seen one on sale unless it's a demo board. You live in ny so few people have heard of them but out here in pnw those are the boards been used the most by advanced riders.

Back
Top Bottom