So Alex Rodriguez is sitting on homerun #599...

The trend of the home run is dead due to all the cheaters. It may be just like this when he reaches 800.

The trend of the home run is dead due to all the cheaters. It may be just like this when he reaches 800.

in the age where roids is prevelent, this has stuck out more to me than the needles in his butt

a-rod-slap.jpg

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

He's a cheater (like many others)...that's why it's underwhelming.

Okay so my follow up question is

How come NO ONE not on Baseball Tonight, Sportscenter, MLB Tonight etc etc etc none of these baseball pundits ever bring it up during one of these live look in segments???

I mean seriously how can you sit there with a straight face and not bring up the PEDs???

Had A Rod never gotten caught I'd be really stoked about all this. I'd make more of an effort to catch his ABs.

I feel like I'm being robbed of what should be a great baseball moment.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

He's a cheater (like many others)...that's why it's underwhelming.

How come NO ONE not on Baseball Tonight, Sportscenter, MLB Tonight etc etc etc none of these baseball pundits ever bring it up during one of these live look in segments???

I mean seriously how can you sit there with a straight face and not bring up the PEDs???

Had A Rod never gotten caught I'd be really stoked about all this. I'd make more of an effort to catch his ABs.

the only people who care are Yankee fans... I would kinda care if he was clean his entire career. I was a big fan of his when he was with Texas.

the only people who care are Yankee fans... I would kinda care if he was clean his entire career. I was a big fan of his when he was with Texas.

They don't bring it up because most of us are tired of it and are no longer naive about the steroid era. We got it beat into our brains senselessly as more and more tests became public and more and more stars either acknowledged their use or made it clear they were guilty. Most people just accept the steroid era was there and if analysts/commentators brought up steroid usage every time a suspected/confirmed player was at the plate or on the mound, then we might not have enough time to even talk about the play by play itself
laugh.gif

If they say "Congrats to A-Rod, but he used PEDs" then it would only be fair if they followed that same protocol for every other former user whenever speaking about them, and that would be pretty illogical.

As a Yankee fan, I'm indifferent. A-Rod is my least favorite current Yankee next to Burnett, so I'm not planning to throw a party when he hits 600. It's an important milestone in baseball and especially if he continues to break records... but mainly because I know he's not clean is why I have less excitement as a fan of the game.

They don't bring it up because most of us are tired of it and are no longer naive about the steroid era. We got it beat into our brains senselessly as more and more tests became public and more and more stars either acknowledged their use or made it clear they were guilty. Most people just accept the steroid era was there and if analysts/commentators brought up steroid usage every time a suspected/confirmed player was at the plate or on the mound, then we might not have enough time to even talk about the play by play itself
laugh.gif

If they say "Congrats to A-Rod, but he used PEDs" then it would only be fair if they followed that same protocol for every other former user whenever speaking about them, and that would be pretty illogical.

As a Yankee fan, I'm indifferent. A-Rod is my least favorite current Yankee next to Burnett, so I'm not planning to throw a party when he hits 600. It's an important milestone in baseball and especially if he continues to break records... but mainly because I know he's not clean is why I have less excitement as a fan of the game.

A lot of people just don't care anymore because it just doesn't matter anymore because of the steroids scandal that's been beat into our heads as someone said before. He cheated when he took steroids and everyone besides Aaron, Mays, Ruth and Griffey all took steroids (of we know).

1 Barry Bonds 762
2 Hank Aaron 755
3 Babe Ruth 714
4 Willie Mays 660
5 Ken Griffey, Jr. 630
6 Sammy Sosa 609
7 Alex Rodriguez (16) 599

A lot of people just don't care anymore because it just doesn't matter anymore because of the steroids scandal that's been beat into our heads as someone said before. He cheated when he took steroids and everyone besides Aaron, Mays, Ruth and Griffey all took steroids (of we know).

1 Barry Bonds 762
2 Hank Aaron 755
3 Babe Ruth 714
4 Willie Mays 660
5 Ken Griffey, Jr. 630
6 Sammy Sosa 609
7 Alex Rodriguez (16) 599

Big J brought up good points there on page 1.  I would also of course add that aside from PED use for ARod being old news, it also doesnt serve ESPN to bash him or even talk about the negativity. That just undervalues the 600 milestone and ESPN does not want that, as you may have already noticed they are attempting to bleed this to death. Viewers wont tune in if they hear ESPN making 600 look ho-hum.

With that all said though the obvious factor as many in here have already said is that 600 HRs is still a big deal but it is not a once-in-a-lifetime deal. That's a major factor. We've all been over how roids have changed the game but it also is still amazing to see:

As of 1999 there were only 15 members of the 500 HR club in the 100+ year history of MLB. It was a sacred thing that everyone fawned over and you were a god if you got to that.

Then just from 1999 to 2009 10 members joined. We now have 25 members of the 500 club. Of these 10 new ones 7 of them have already been caught juicing.

Still with that said, only six players ever have gotten to 600 HRs. It's no joke. However ARod makes it looks like a farce to some people simply because he just turned 35 today.

Big J brought up good points there on page 1.  I would also of course add that aside from PED use for ARod being old news, it also doesnt serve ESPN to bash him or even talk about the negativity. That just undervalues the 600 milestone and ESPN does not want that, as you may have already noticed they are attempting to bleed this to death. Viewers wont tune in if they hear ESPN making 600 look ho-hum.

With that all said though the obvious factor as many in here have already said is that 600 HRs is still a big deal but it is not a once-in-a-lifetime deal. That's a major factor. We've all been over how roids have changed the game but it also is still amazing to see:

As of 1999 there were only 15 members of the 500 HR club in the 100+ year history of MLB. It was a sacred thing that everyone fawned over and you were a god if you got to that.

Then just from 1999 to 2009 10 members joined. We now have 25 members of the 500 club. Of these 10 new ones 7 of them have already been caught juicing.

Still with that said, only six players ever have gotten to 600 HRs. It's no joke. However ARod makes it looks like a farce to some people simply because he just turned 35 today.

There's cheating in every era. Hammering Hank took amphetamines but no one ever brings that up when speaking on him. People use the fact that they weren't banned and were pretty common. But it's banned now. Bonds took a cream that wasn't banned at the time. Don't take this as I'm defending Bonds like that either. Even Willie Mays has said that he and friends took pills to energize them for the length of the MLB schedule.

It's easy to get pissed off at a Bonds or Clemens or A-Rod because they were %+*+!@@@ before they even tested positive and when they did that just let the flood gates loose.

My point is that there was cheating in every generation in era of baseball. I'm not saying it's something that shouldn't be held against them or brought up but don't crucify one and them give others a pass.

There's cheating in every era. Hammering Hank took amphetamines but no one ever brings that up when speaking on him. People use the fact that they weren't banned and were pretty common. But it's banned now. Bonds took a cream that wasn't banned at the time. Don't take this as I'm defending Bonds like that either. Even Willie Mays has said that he and friends took pills to energize them for the length of the MLB schedule.

It's easy to get pissed off at a Bonds or Clemens or A-Rod because they were %+*+!@@@ before they even tested positive and when they did that just let the flood gates loose.

My point is that there was cheating in every generation in era of baseball. I'm not saying it's something that shouldn't be held against them or brought up but don't crucify one and them give others a pass.

^ I agree however this "era" of cheating completely blew up the record books. That's why people will always harp on it. We all know how sacred people feel MLB records are (whether that's right or wrong) and let's face it....this "era" was the only one that allowed players to become chemistry experiments and destroy all milestones plus be 38, 39, 40+ years old yet still be in their "prime."

Again, that puts the spotlight more on you then greenies in the 60's to get through a doubleheader.

Beyond that, Bonds also took more than "a cream" obviously. He was a walking lab experiment who cycled drug after drug after drug into his body for years.

^ I agree however this "era" of cheating completely blew up the record books. That's why people will always harp on it. We all know how sacred people feel MLB records are (whether that's right or wrong) and let's face it....this "era" was the only one that allowed players to become chemistry experiments and destroy all milestones plus be 38, 39, 40+ years old yet still be in their "prime."

Again, that puts the spotlight more on you then greenies in the 60's to get through a doubleheader.

Beyond that, Bonds also took more than "a cream" obviously. He was a walking lab experiment who cycled drug after drug after drug into his body for years.

Back
Top Bottom