So, do you think KOBEs will be worth as much as JORDANs are now in 20 years?

Originally Posted by dmxfury

We will never see what Jordan did to the shoe game EVER again in our lifetimes. Perfect combination of factors, way to hard to recreate a perfect storm like that again

The only reason I say no is because people are too narrow minded to let it happen.

What I find intriguing is the responses are people thinking in the 'now'.

There are plenty of examples of peoples perception of a player changing as generations move forward. Case in point, Michael Jordan. Because he wasn't subjected to instant media like current players a lot of info gets forgotten, falls through the cracks or blatantly ignored (which some in this thread seem to do). A lot of the points have already been discussed so I won't go there. With Kobe, he could fart and it would be on Twitter in milliseconds.

I also believe highlight films play a huge part to the reason why people who didn't see Jordan play put him on a higher pedestal than he deserves. Thats not to say I dont think he isn't the greatest to play.......thus far. I am saying the gap between Jordan and other players (such as Kobe) may not be as wide as some would like. One could YouTube a clip of Shawn Kemp and make an argument that he is Top 10. Images are always stronger than research so that doesn't apply to the diehards but it does for the majority.

I can say with confidence that in 20 years it won't be considered blasphemy to put Kobe and Jordan in the same sentence.

The only reason I say no is because people are too narrow minded to let it happen.

What I find intriguing is the responses are people thinking in the 'now'.

There are plenty of examples of peoples perception of a player changing as generations move forward. Case in point, Michael Jordan. Because he wasn't subjected to instant media like current players a lot of info gets forgotten, falls through the cracks or blatantly ignored (which some in this thread seem to do). A lot of the points have already been discussed so I won't go there. With Kobe, he could fart and it would be on Twitter in milliseconds.

I also believe highlight films play a huge part to the reason why people who didn't see Jordan play put him on a higher pedestal than he deserves. Thats not to say I dont think he isn't the greatest to play.......thus far. I am saying the gap between Jordan and other players (such as Kobe) may not be as wide as some would like. One could YouTube a clip of Shawn Kemp and make an argument that he is Top 10. Images are always stronger than research so that doesn't apply to the diehards but it does for the majority.

I can say with confidence that in 20 years it won't be considered blasphemy to put Kobe and Jordan in the same sentence.

20 years ago did people think Js would be worth this much?

Who's to say Kobes won't be as (or at least close) to Jordans in the future.

A lot of kids/teenagers never saw Jordan play besides highlights....those same kids watch Kobe play now, and some idolize him. In 20 years they'll want the shoes they grew up liking/ having (same way older dudes want Js now).

I think there's too many haters, or lack of people with open minds to realize what the Kobe line can become in the future.

I could care less if Kobes are worth anything in the future, but I could see them gaining value as time goes on....especially when he retires. Hopefully he makes the decision to stop the sig line when he chooses to.

A lot of kids/teenagers never saw Jordan play besides highlights....those same kids watch Kobe play now, and some idolize him. In 20 years they'll want the shoes they grew up liking/ having (same way older dudes want Js now).

I think there's too many haters, or lack of people with open minds to realize what the Kobe line can become in the future.

I could care less if Kobes are worth anything in the future, but I could see them gaining value as time goes on....especially when he retires. Hopefully he makes the decision to stop the sig line when he chooses to.

s dubl wrote:

Nope. But people who missed out when his career began to get white hot, desired what they missed. Also remember this, his shoes didn't feature a large swoosh after the 1. This is huge for Jordan shoes, and for those who do not like the looks of the swoosh. Jordan's are far more versatile that the ordinary Nike shoes.

s dubl wrote:

I'll be the one who can say it, know why? The economic climate that was around during MJ's initial hey day was quite different than what it is now. That era represented excess, and expensive sneakers were an important part of the urban culture, which was spread out to the 'burbs via Hip Hop. During that time, Jordan ushered in the Hip Hop era, even though he did not understand, nor was a part of that movement. The movement embraced him and his style,  his swagger. One of the Kobephants on here called him a butthole, well, yeah! Many of those cats in Hip Hop culture adored Mike, then loved the arrogant swagger the he moved with. Kobe Bryant, due to his mishaps, does not  share that same respect. Perhaps in Asia he is seen to be cool, but many in the inner city, young brothers, see him as just another guy getting paid.  

s dubl wrote:

Whose shoes do you think will add to your swag, Kobe Bryant's, or Micheal Jordan's? I can say this, in the future, even more info will be available. Whose rep do you think will stand the test of time? Who was the original? Who was the blueprint to which even Kobe will emulate?

Not to make it look like it is right, but has anyone been beat down for a pair of Kobe's? 

s dubl wrote:

You know what they say about having an "open mind", right? People can steal your "common sense" from you, if you leave it open for too long.

s dubl wrote:
Perhaps the same value as Penny's shoes, but not MJ's.  Too much history, too great of a legacy. Kobe Bryant is a great player, but Jordan is an original.

Being an original is a major selling point, one so strong that nobody has to ever see you play in order to want to wear what you are selling. Take a look at Chuck Taylors.

Has anyone ever seen him play?

Don't let Nike/Jordan Brand get their quality control issues together, that combined with a strong push from MJ himself, can keep JB going long after all of us are gone. 

s dubl wrote:

Nope. But people who missed out when his career began to get white hot, desired what they missed. Also remember this, his shoes didn't feature a large swoosh after the 1. This is huge for Jordan shoes, and for those who do not like the looks of the swoosh. Jordan's are far more versatile that the ordinary Nike shoes.

s dubl wrote:

I'll be the one who can say it, know why? The economic climate that was around during MJ's initial hey day was quite different than what it is now. That era represented excess, and expensive sneakers were an important part of the urban culture, which was spread out to the 'burbs via Hip Hop. During that time, Jordan ushered in the Hip Hop era, even though he did not understand, nor was a part of that movement. The movement embraced him and his style,  his swagger. One of the Kobephants on here called him a butthole, well, yeah! Many of those cats in Hip Hop culture adored Mike, then loved the arrogant swagger the he moved with. Kobe Bryant, due to his mishaps, does not  share that same respect. Perhaps in Asia he is seen to be cool, but many in the inner city, young brothers, see him as just another guy getting paid.  

s dubl wrote:

Whose shoes do you think will add to your swag, Kobe Bryant's, or Micheal Jordan's? I can say this, in the future, even more info will be available. Whose rep do you think will stand the test of time? Who was the original? Who was the blueprint to which even Kobe will emulate?

Not to make it look like it is right, but has anyone been beat down for a pair of Kobe's? 

s dubl wrote:

You know what they say about having an "open mind", right? People can steal your "common sense" from you, if you leave it open for too long.

s dubl wrote:
Perhaps the same value as Penny's shoes, but not MJ's.  Too much history, too great of a legacy. Kobe Bryant is a great player, but Jordan is an original.

Being an original is a major selling point, one so strong that nobody has to ever see you play in order to want to wear what you are selling. Take a look at Chuck Taylors.

Has anyone ever seen him play?

Don't let Nike/Jordan Brand get their quality control issues together, that combined with a strong push from MJ himself, can keep JB going long after all of us are gone. 

Will Kobe's be worth as much as Jordans? As a whole line...Kobe Line VS Jordan Line... No.

You could say that about any other line though.

As far as individual shoes? Yes...There will be Kobes that go for as much as some Jordans in the future.

Will Kobe's be worth as much as Jordans? As a whole line...Kobe Line VS Jordan Line... No.

You could say that about any other line though.

As far as individual shoes? Yes...There will be Kobes that go for as much as some Jordans in the future.

I can't see them being as legendary as #s I through XIV of the Jordan line.

Then again, I don't know...there's a whole generation of kids growing up right now who know Kobe a lot better than they know Michael. What will be their classics?

I really like what Nike has done with the Kobe line of shoes because they literally look like no other basketball shoe out there. They're unique, and that uniqueness mostly comes from the low cut, obviously. They've also taken advantage of Nike's latest technology every year, combining Zoom and Lunar Foam, and utilizing Flywire as well. The shoes are low, sleek, and impossibly light - and you know exactly who they belong to as soon as you see them.

Personally, I can't see myself wearing a low cut shoe to ball in. But I get the idea, and I like it...

I can't see them being as legendary as #s I through XIV of the Jordan line.

Then again, I don't know...there's a whole generation of kids growing up right now who know Kobe a lot better than they know Michael. What will be their classics?

I really like what Nike has done with the Kobe line of shoes because they literally look like no other basketball shoe out there. They're unique, and that uniqueness mostly comes from the low cut, obviously. They've also taken advantage of Nike's latest technology every year, combining Zoom and Lunar Foam, and utilizing Flywire as well. The shoes are low, sleek, and impossibly light - and you know exactly who they belong to as soon as you see them.

Personally, I can't see myself wearing a low cut shoe to ball in. But I get the idea, and I like it...

Originally Posted by Shoes2Shades

Don't think so, you can't even get retail for the Nike Kobe 1 now.

and you could get jordans 1, 2, and 3 for 30-40 bucks at big 5 when the iv's and v's originally came out.....

also inbetween jordan's 3 peats you could get the first retro jordan's 1, 2, and 3 for the same price as above...

as great as you may think the jordan line was sales wise...it wasnt like the shoes were selling out in every colorway and number... I only remember the original IV's being sold out and very hard to find where im from...

every sig shoe from bo's to griffeys to jordans went on clearance back in the day...

the hype with the retros from 99 on up is a whole nother beast where dudes began to collect j's and other shoes like baseball cards and not even wear um.

why you gonna buy a shoe and not wear it? %%+@ dont even make sense...

Originally Posted by Shoes2Shades

Don't think so, you can't even get retail for the Nike Kobe 1 now.

and you could get jordans 1, 2, and 3 for 30-40 bucks at big 5 when the iv's and v's originally came out.....

also inbetween jordan's 3 peats you could get the first retro jordan's 1, 2, and 3 for the same price as above...

as great as you may think the jordan line was sales wise...it wasnt like the shoes were selling out in every colorway and number... I only remember the original IV's being sold out and very hard to find where im from...

every sig shoe from bo's to griffeys to jordans went on clearance back in the day...

the hype with the retros from 99 on up is a whole nother beast where dudes began to collect j's and other shoes like baseball cards and not even wear um.

why you gonna buy a shoe and not wear it? %%+@ dont even make sense...

Back
Top Bottom