so I got outplayed at the poker table yesterday vol i cannot dodge bullets

Ok. So if I'm stepping to a 1/2 or a 2/4 game, what kind of bankroll should I bring?

$60?

$100?

$200?

I hate to sound so moronic, I know the game, I'm just not familiar with cash games.

^ I always buy in for the max at the table at any stakes I'm playing and that is usually 100 BB. So for 1/2 that would be $200, 2/4 $400 etc.

To the OP you didn't get outplayed exactly but just played the hand a bit wrong imo. Depending on how the table is playing and particularly the player whoreraised I would try and play the hand accordingly. I like to see alot of flops since I feel like my game is better postflop instead of preflop so I would havejust flat called there too. After the flop there are a few things wrong you did: 1. If you thought your AK was good there I would have reraised, or if Idecided to call there on the flop it would only be with the intentions of calling that bet to bluff on the turn no matter what card came out. Alot of playersfire a bullet after they raise or reraise preflop so him betting the flop doesn't really mean much.

Originally Posted by 84jordan03

Just a little bit of info for you OP: the check at the turn should have of been a red flag that he was only protecting his original bet after the flop. A big bet on the river, following a check on the turn is often a bluff (assuming the river is a card like you mentioned), especially with aggressive (assuming thats how he built his stack) chip leaders

A bet on the turn would of showed him protecting his hand. The check says he is weak...

Damn I would love to play poker with NTers.
roll.gif

Well I didn't read that through but i'm gonna stick to my initial reaction.

Everytime theres a poker post on NT it's about how they suck at poker. I'm going to make one soon about how I just won 5k or something.
laugh.gif

I often check after my hand improves to where I know it's good against someone who has been betting, let them value bet, and then raise it so I don'tthink the check necessarily shows that he's weak.

- Tical.

Originally Posted by TD The God

Originally Posted by IluvJordanXI

Dude: pocket Queens
Me: J and 10

Flop: 3,J,10

Me: I raise 5
dude: call

Flop: 3,J,10,7

Me: I raise 10
dude: call

Flop: 3,J,10,7,Q

Me: raise 10
dude: re raise 15
Me : call

3 Qs....
eek.gif
smh.gif
damn
Your fault, for letting him catch that hand....he could have had any big hand and you were letting him catch up by just raising BS amounts....not sure what limit you were playing but still

1,2 NL

me: 54c
him: AA

im big blind, he raises from mid position to 10$, I call
flop comes 24J rainbow
he raises 15$, I call after a good 30 second long stare down
Turn comes a 5, I check, he goes all in - I call....and I took his entire 100$ stack...

pimp.gif

I'm retired tho.....until 2009 or until I find a job

I play cheap poker, so the highest amount is $20. I was trying to bait him in but I guess I kind of hesitated because dude was calling with no hesitation. Iknew he had no flush but he might had a straight.

Iluvjordan- there was really nothing you could do in that situation to change the outcome cause that other player isn't folding an overpair to that boardespecially playing small stakes. Its just one of those situations that happens where you got lucky and then unlucky. And for the other person who said it wasyour fault for letting him catch up.... you gotta make money when you get good hands or your not gonna be a winning player and I'm pretty sure hewasn't letting go of Queens in that situation even if you moved all in. you were a 70% percent favor after the flop came out and and 82% percent favoriteafter the turn so it wasn't bad percentage wise to milk him. For future advice its okay to milk bets every once in a while but when playing small stakesdon't be afraid to bet pot or close to it as players who play small stakes or bad players in general have a hard time folding hands especially an overpairand will call you down whether your betting 20% of the pot or 80%.

Yeah i probably would have done the same as iluvjordanxi. Try to milk it as much as i can and not scare him away with a big bet.

The guy OP was playing with doesn't seem as good as he's making him out to be, I played a couple times on online poker and he seems like the averageplayer. You let him take control basically the whole hand. After the flop he bet and you called. Then after the turn he checked and you checked. Pretty easydecision to do a high bet at the end since you gave him so much confidence.

idk about going over the top preflop

think about it you have one limp caller than a big reraise usually represents a BIG hand if they are an amateur player
then you also have one limp ALL IN not that your worried about him but you hafta think at least one of them has KK in most situations
so a call preflop isnt bad but i think after the flop since u didnt raise the flop i think you made yourself vunerable
and the check after really made you vunerable
if you would had raised on the flop he folds
if you would have bet on the turn he folds
because at least on a board like that you can kind of semi bluff because you believe that you have outs on him to get you out of the bluff anyway
just my .02

Originally Posted by T i c a l

I often check after my hand improves to where I know it's good against someone who has been betting, let them value bet, and then raise it so I don't think the check necessarily shows that he's weak.

- Tical.
Yeah but in this case there was already a player all in. On the flop his bet looked strong because players **generally speaking** don't betflops with players all in unless they are very strong. Bet the flop=strong. Bet the turn=STRONG. Then he could check/fold turn if OP made a bet. Hewouldn't want to check raise a bluff in this spot with dude still with chips sitting at the table and expose this kind of image to everyone.

poker stories are boring.....no one cares how you should have either raised more or folded your AK.......you were the OG raiser, he was a caller, when he wentover the top of you, why didnt you just push harder or fold...if you had him pre flop (which you did not know) the J and Q should have scared you....you couldhave pushed with the 7's on the board....but his advantage cuz of stack size.....

Poker is a game of imperfect information.

Everything depends on the situation at that exact moment.

Back
Top Bottom