So i just got a speeding ticket

I nor anyone I know have ever had the cop not show up for the court date. And once they show up you are not winning that case :lol:

I got a reckless and got dismissed in court.

y'all saying op will have to pay over 250+ in fines for a speeding and blocking rearview ?

that's crazy Man I don't know how nj is but I'm in va. I took my 8 hour driving course a month before I had court, went to court, pleaded no contest, judge asked the cop if i had any priors, no, asked if I was I cooperative, says yes. judge said pay an 86$ fine and it will be dismissed. case closed.

talking about getting a lawyer LOL. I'm surprised he didn't give you a reckless you're lucky

Last edited:
such a waste of time, money, gas..... it was interesting hearing other cases though. and how lawyers are very tedious and organized with their stuff

This has happened to me in NJ. What you're going to need is to plea to "Unsafe Driving". Its an amended charge which carries 0 points on your license. Fine will cost anywhere between $400-$600. Cost depends on judge's discretion; so he'll take into account the 80 and 55 violation. Most likely will be in 525-600 range since you were speeding 25mph over the speed limit.

Like others mentioned, call or mail court your "Not Guilty" plea. Show up and ask the prosecutor to speak. Explain this is your first speeding ticket and that you have no prior moving violations. Politely ask for "Unsafe Driving" amendment. Pay the fine and your'e done.

Not sure about the obstruction thing, but hope this info helps.

When people say they have no prior violations do they mean in the state where their license resides? :lol:

When people say they have no prior violations do they mean in the state where their license resides? :lol:

Most states have an agreement (Driver License Compact) whereby violations that occur out of the state where the driver is licensed will still be counted against the driver. So if an NJ driver gets a speeding ticket out in another state, the points will carry over onto the NJ license. Each state calculates the assessment of points differently. So 4 Ohio points doesn't necessarily mean 4 NJ points. Also, out of state tickets can be handled by either traffic school or pleaing down to a non-point violations so that no points are assessed.

http://www.dmv.org/articles/dealing-with-out-of-state-traffic-tickets/

Last edited:

Most states have an agreement (Driver License Compact) whereby violations that occur out of the state where the driver is licensed will still be counted against the driver. So if an NJ driver gets a speeding ticket out in another state, the points will carry over onto the NJ license. Each state calculates the assessment of points differently. So 4 Ohio points doesn't necessarily mean 4 NJ points. Also, out of state tickets can be handled by either traffic school or pleaing down to a non-point violations so that no points are assessed.

http://www.dmv.org/articles/dealing-with-out-of-state-traffic-tickets/

Yeah this is still confusing af to me. I got speeding tickets in VA but my license is NY so I just assumed I have 0 points on my license and I verified that by checking my driver's abstract. So when I got my first speeding ticket in NY and they asked me if my license is clean I said yeah. Based on the Driver License Compact NY doesn't count out of state tickets unless it's a major violation? Now I just how to find out what a major violation is.

Anyone from this thread still subscribed? I have a question about speeding tickets and contacting the officer. Heard you could do that and they may drop the case 

Back
Top Bottom