So I'm going to be a Respiratory Therapist....

I've recently decided to become an RT, and will start prereqs in the fall at JC then hopefully get into the program...
    So I was wondering if any of ya'll current RTs can share some tips on how to find a job quick after you finished the program, and things you would've had done different had you known better. Thanks in Advance. I'm just trying to make money to help my fam out.

I'm a respiratory therapist.

Tell me, what state are you in? It's probably hard to find a job in the market we're in now, but here in California, it's especially hard to find a job.

First stop should be an spelling class
laugh.gif

Damn forreals, Im in California, Daly City where do you work at Paul Is On Tilt? and whats your wage, how long you've been an RT? if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by HRelos

Damn forreals, Im in California, Daly City where do you work at Paul Is On Tilt? and whats your wage, how long you've been an RT? if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in Daly City, too. I work at St. Luke's Hospital in San Francisco. I've been an RT since November 2009. I'm currently making roughly $36/hr.

What school are you looking to apply to? There's a few in our area. I say you should consider all of them, because if you don't get into one of the programs, at least you'll have backup programs to apply to.

Oh really? cool, well I've been attending at Skyline for the past couple years as a business major but it ain't cutting it for me so, I'm going to try to get in at Skyline. Where are other programs located at? and how do you exactly get in the programs once you finish the prereqs???

I went to Skyline. It's a good program. The instructors are really good.

Other programs in the area are in Ohlone College, Napa College, Foothill College, and yeah, Skyline College.

Another option is Western College and Kaplan, but that's like $30,000 to complete. They accelerate that program. It's for people who are in a hurry or whatever. IMO, you're better off going to either Ohlone, Napa, Foothill, or Skyline. They teach you the basics and build on them. Western and Kaplan just rush you through in like 18 months. Another drawback of going to Western or Kaplan is that if you want to get your BA, your credits won't transfer... so you're kind of stuck there.

I've heard that employers also prefer those who went to Ohlone, Napa, Foothill, and Skyline. They've been putting out quality respiratory therapists. Western and Kaplan are relatively new, and like I said, they rush you, so the quality of therapists they produce might be less.

I suggest you complete your prerequisites first. You can apply to the program even if you need like a history class or whatever to still be completed, but it makes you a better candidate to have your prerequisites done.

I hope that helps. Is there anything else you want to know?

Originally Posted by quik1987

Both my brother and sister are RTs. You can make 100k.
Yeah, you definitely can, if you got the drive.
laugh.gif

Work 3 12-hr shifts at one hospital and then you have 4 extra days in a week to do whatever, include work at another hospital for like a day or two, and you still have your normal two days off a week.

If you're lazy, then you can just use those extra days to lounge or whatever.
laugh.gif

How else can I improve my chances in getting in the program? and Is the program relatively hard to get into?? also what do you exactly do once you are a certified RT? sorry if these questions sound ignorant,hah

Originally Posted by HRelos

How else can I improve my chances in getting in the program? and Is the program relatively hard to get into?? also what do you exactly do once you are a certified RT? sorry if these questions sound ignorant,hah
Nah, don't worry about asking the questions
laugh.gif
. I'll try to answer them the best I can to help you out.

I'm going to speak for Skyline when I say this because it's the program I am most familiar with. This just passed about a month ago, but there was an "open house" for the program. It was held open to the public to come and learn about the program. You can meet the instructors and ask them any question you had about the profession. They get to meet you and remember a face and name. That would be one way of increasing your chances to get into the program.

I also mentioned having all your prerequisites done. That's big there. If you don't have your prerequisites all done, then you can still apply. I don't see how it would not hurt to just apply, even if you don't get in, at least you tried. I believe your application would be good for another year. If you don't have all your prerequisites done, then I suggest you get your science classes out of the way first. Those are big and more important than a P.E. class or history class or what have you.

You can pass by the room and just inquire about the program. I don't see how that wouldn't hurt either. Like the open house, you can meet the instructors and have any questions answered... as long as they have time to sit down and chat.
laugh.gif

Once you get certified, you can start working. There is another set of boards you can take. It's considered "optional" but employers are starting to make it a requirement. And I don't see why you should not take it. I mean, it helps you add more to your resumé, which is a good thing when you apply to hospitals. It's going to cost more money to get those boards out of the way and become "Registered," but in the end, it's worth it. Those set of board exams consists of a written exam and a clinical simulation exam.

I hope that helps. Anything else I can help you with?
laugh.gif

$36/hour sounds good and there's a RT program at my school too, but anyone know how hard the RT classes are compared to a Medical Assistant program? Just wondering.

Originally Posted by jt solemates lm

$36/hour sounds good and there's a RT program at my school too, but anyone know how hard the RT classes are compared to a Medical Assistant program? Just wondering.
I have no idea how the Medical Assistant program is, so I can't speak on that.

I will say that the Respiratory Therapy program is tough, but that should be expected with anything. The way I look at it is that respiratory therapists just have to deal with sputum and blood. The nurses have to deal with feces, urine, blood, abdominal contents, etc.
laugh.gif

Paul Is On Tilt, how tough was it for you get through the RT classes? Did you really have to input what you learned from human physiology on a cellular level for the classes?

Paul Is On Tilt, how tough was it for you get through the RT classes? Did you really have to input what you learned from human physiology on a cellular level for the classes?
Nah, just know the basics. They even go over it in the program to refresh your memory.

Acid base is big though, but again, you're going to be "re-taught" it in the program.

Have a general idea of what it is about, though. That will help.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Nah, just know the basics. They even go over it in the program to refresh your memory.

Acid base is big though, but again, you're going to be "re-taught" it in the program.

Have a general idea of what it is about, though. That will help.

that's cool how they help you refresh your memory when it comes to that in the RT program. thanks for your input but i'm looking to get into the nursing program at my school. hopefully they'll help me "refresh" my memory when i'm in.

Oh, thanks for mentioning the nursing program. That actually reminded me something I wanted to say.

Last year, the RT program had 100 applicants and 25 applicants got accepted (this is at Skyline). Just imagine what the nursing program is looking like. 700 applicants and I don't know how many people get accepted. That's also something to keep in mind.

If you want to become a nurse, when you do apply, apply to both the nursing program and the RT program. No harm in doing that. If you get accepted into the nursing program, then pursue that. If you don't get in the nursing program, but get accepted into the RT program, then pursue that. At least you increase your chances at getting in somewhere.

^ real talk about the nursing program having way more applicants than any other health care program. even more real talk when it comes to applying for more than one program to increase chances of getting accepted in any program.

my girl was just talking about becoming a RT, since she doesnt want to pursue nursing anymore, what does the job entail? i had never even heard of the career until she brought it up

Back
Top Bottom