So its looking like I'm going to be a resident of this area soon... I need assistence

Will be working out of DC more than likely

Soooo I may be leaving my beloved Chicago to explore a career opportunity in the DC area. I need info

Housing.. best area minus the wallet breakers close to public trans

Only been for 3days spent at Howard... So Whatelse Is Good? What should I look out for, avoid...

Everythings a blur right now bottomline Put Me On

Another Chicago head! Welcome. DO you have any idea where in DC you'll be working? Also how close to there would you like to live?

what airport...?

Regan? Dulles? bwi?

since you said dc and hu im going to assume you will be at Regan. i used to work there as well. which is right on the line of va and dc. how big of spot youlooking at? close counties there are...Arlington, Alexandria etc. You can also try ne dc...housing is a lil better priced. and md is always cheaper mo co, pgetc...the airport is metro accessible. and this area has metro stops almost everywhere. hope that helped...

If you're going to be working out of Reagan National I would pass on living in DC or MD and live in VA. You could get a spot either at The Aspen or TheCalvert (2 high-rise apartments in Alexandria city in between Old Town Alexandria and Crystal City Arlington both of which command higher rents), less than a10 minute drive to work and a moderately safe neighborhood, you should still be able to get a studio/one bedroom for around $1000-1300. You could also look atrenting something further south down Rt. 1 which would give you a quick 20 minute jump to work on the George Washington Parkway, you just have to be carefulabout what area you choose, there are some pockets of crap along there.

pimp.gif

SoleWoman wrote:

what airport...?

Dulles?

After talking to the director the office is closer to Dulles, however the airport will be determine by the assignment.

Whats Gas prices looking like out there?

I'm looking at $2.55 a gallon. Nowhere near Chicago. When I was there last summer and I landed at Midway and saw the $4.15 a gallon price... SMH...

Its looking around 2.90 right now so not to shabby but yea last summer was absolute insanity. I felt like crying quite a few times at the pump
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Its looking around 2.90 right now so not to shabby but yea last summer was absolute insanity. I felt like crying quite a few times at the pump
laugh.gif
One thing nice about this area is that the tax is low too. SMH at Cook County raising sales tax to 10%
sick.gif

SoleWoman wrote:

what airport...?

Dulles?

After talking to the director the office is closer to Dulles, however the airport will be determine by the assignment.

Does this mean you'll be working at a different airport at any given time? Or just don't know which one they're going to assign youyet?
Dulles is about 30 miles from DC, if you know that you'll have a permanent job at Dulles then get something out that way (Herndon, Reston, Centreville etc)but if you're going back and forth between Dulles and Reagan then I'd get something a little closer to DC as it's ALWAYS easier to drive away fromthe DC area in the morning then it is driving towards the DC area.

One thing nice about this area is that the tax is low too. SMH at Cook County raising sales tax to 10%

Yeah tell me about it. My aunt didn't tell me that and I went to buy some shoes and they were way more expensive then I thought they were gonna be.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

laugh.gif
sick.gif

Yea its really ******y, Cook County's taxes rank top 3 in the country. Insanity.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by The Badgeman

SoleWoman wrote:

what airport...?

Dulles?

Does this mean you'll be working at a different airport at any given time? Or just don't know which one they're going to assign you yet?
Dulles is about 30 miles from DC, if you know that you'll have a permanent job at Dulles then get something out that way (Herndon, Reston, Centreville etc) but if you're going back and forth between Dulles and Reagan then I'd get something a little closer to DC as it's ALWAYS easier to drive away from the DC area in the morning then it is driving towards the DC area.

Yea I'm not too sure about that, but it sounded like the former so I'll probably be looking a little closer towards that area. If you guyswouldn't mind naming the surrounding counties I would appreciate it.

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

Cake what's good
pimp.gif

Thats what I'm trying to find out mella. Believe I will be wearing a Sox fitted on the regular tho, going to Wizard games rocking a Bulls jersey and Bullyfitted, and I'm ordering my Culter Authentic soon. No converting here.
pimp.gif

If you end up working at Dulles then you want to look at either Loudon or Fairfax counties. As a whole the cities around the airport are OK, every city hasits sketchy area but it's pretty safe and sterile overall.

Thats what I'm trying to find out mella. Believe I will be wearing a Sox fitted on the regular tho, going to Wizard games rocking a Bulls jersey and Bullyfitted, and I'm ordering my Culter Authentic soon. No converting here.
pimp.gif

Good to see a fellow Chicagoan moving to the area. Born and raised in Chicago, Homewood specifically.
pimp.gif

Thats what I'm trying to find out mella. Believe I will be wearing a Sox fitted on the regular tho, going to Wizard games rocking a Bulls jersey and Bully fitted, and I'm ordering my Culter Authentic soon. No converting here.
pimp.gif

Good to see a fellow Chicagoan moving to the area. Born and raised in Chicago, Homewood specifically.
pimp.gif

Ok Ok I see you... Out there around the big cribs, my lady is from hazelcrest so I've been through there quite a few times. What brought you down there anddo you like it? How does it compare to the crib?

Thats what I'm trying to find out mella. Believe I will be wearing a Sox fitted on the regular tho, going to Wizard games rocking a Bulls jersey and Bully fitted, and I'm ordering my Culter Authentic soon. No converting here.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Ok Ok I see you... Out there around the big cribs, my lady is from hazelcrest so I've been through there quite a few times. What brought you down there and do you like it? How does it compare to the crib?
I moved Northern VA when I was 16 going into my junior year in HS after my mom found a better beauty supply store to run. It was a toughadjustment for me since I was so comfortable living in Chicago since it was all I knew.

One thing you'll definitely miss is the food. They got a couple of spots here, but not as many mom and pop joints. No pizza puffs, El Famous Burrito, hellthere isn't even a White Castle here. I fiend for Maxwell St. every day when I'm here.

It all depends on where you're staying. I live in Springfield and whenever I'm here it's pretty much dead. Everything closes at 10 PM. But spotslike Arlington have a lot more going on at night.

Public transit here is expensive as hell. I definitely miss CTA.

Chicago will always be home to me, I find myself going back when I graduate, but I've started to appreciate this area a lot more in recent years. Hope themove goes smoothly fam.

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Ok Ok I see you... Out there around the big cribs, my lady is from hazelcrest so I've been through there quite a few times. What brought you down there and do you like it? How does it compare to the crib?
I moved Northern VA when I was 16 going into my junior year in HS after my mom found a better beauty supply store to run. It was a tough adjustment for me since I was so comfortable living in Chicago since it was all I knew.

One thing you'll definitely miss is the food. They got a couple of spots here, but not as many mom and pop joints. No pizza puffs, El Famous Burrito, hell there isn't even a White Castle here. I fiend for Maxwell St. every day when I'm here.

It all depends on where you're staying. I live in Springfield and whenever I'm here it's pretty much dead. Everything closes at 10 PM. But spots like Arlington have a lot more going on at night.

Public transit here is expensive as hell. I definitely miss CTA.

Chicago will always be home to me, I find myself going back when I graduate, but I've started to appreciate this area a lot more in recent years. Hope the move goes smoothly fam.

c3b15c4f77815aab8453d8e7d16bfb49da4b4ec.gif

Welcome.

What are you going to be doing?

I only ask b/c I also used to work @ all 3 Airports for a company called KELLEE Comm. I would run through all of them in a day.

Federal Air Marshal... contingent on a few other phases.

but these people will only giving me a day to a week to get everything situation
smh.gif

Originally Posted by HARMCITY45

Cake gon' get his "Passenger 57" on Like Wesley Snipes....

laugh.gif

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... why would you wish that type of @### on me. You saw all the @### that man had to go through just to get the merch
smh.gif

I'm just tryna chill no qualms... just rackin up frequent flyer mileage ya dig?
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

whats good Cake, welcome to the DMV

if you need to quick access to Dulles you will probably wanna live in western fairfax county or loudon county. I have a job thats 100% travel (im currently inMiami) I live in southeastern fairfax county in the Alexandria part. I can get to BWI, park my car and get through security in about a hour n 15 minutes iftraffic isnt crazy and Reagan is just up the GW parkway about 25 min away. I don't fly out of Dulless often ( damn i hate that airport) but its a HIKE fromwhere I'm at

if you got any questions or want specific don't hesitate to hit the inbox

Back
Top Bottom