So what's up with so many sub-par NBA prospects declaring for the draft?

Lance Stephenson, FR, Cincy - 2nd round to undrafted
Dee Bost, SO, Miss State - Second round to undrafted
Samardo Samuels, SO, Louisville - Second round to undrafted
Keith Gallon, FR, Oklahoma - Second round to undrafted
Derrick Caracter, JR, UTEP - Second round to undrafted

It's rare for an NFL prospect to declare early unless he is projected as at least a third-round pick... virtually guaranteeing a spot on the regular season roster. Early entries in the NFL are also at least redshirt sophomores before entering.

Why are there so many solid NCAA basketball players forgoing a few more years of development for a chance at the league? All of the above prospects were highly recruited coming out of high school, but have a solid chance of not even being drafted. Of course with Steph and Caracter you've got character issues, so there's more that we don't know. But Gallon? Really?

Heck, back when high schoolers could enter, you had guys like Jackie Butler declaring and going undrafted. Korleone Young and Ndubi Ebi could have saved their careers by entering college for at least a year or two.

I know that for instance, Eric Bledsoe is likely declaring early because his stock has him landing almost certainly in the first round. A large factor in that decision is also the looming possibility of a recruiting infraction where his grades jumped significantly in his senior year of HS, something like a 1.9 to a 2.6. I'm sure that a lot of these guys just don't want to put up with school anymore, simply because they are solely at a university to play ball.

Basically what I'm wondering is why? Is it the allure of the dollar? Pressure to financially support family members? Other temptations? It really is facinating for me that so many kids will declare early for the NBA draft but never even start a game and end up in the NBDL.

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

It's rare for an NFL prospect to declare early unless he is projected as at least a third-round pick... virtually guaranteeing a spot on the regular season roster. Early entries in the NFL are also at least redshirt sophomores before entering.

Why are there so many solid NCAA basketball players forgoing a few more years of development for a chance at the league? All of the above prospects were highly recruited coming out of high school, but have a solid chance of not even being drafted. Of course with Steph and Caracter you've got character issues, so there's more that we don't know. But Gallon? Really?

Heck, back when high schoolers could enter, you had guys like Jackie Butler declaring and going undrafted. Korleone Young and Ndubi Ebi could have saved their careers by entering college for at least a year or two.

I know that for instance, Eric Bledsoe is likely declaring early because his stock has him landing almost certainly in the first round. A large factor in that decision is also the looming possibility of a recruiting infraction where his grades jumped significantly in his senior year of HS, something like a 1.9 to a 2.6. I'm sure that a lot of these guys just don't want to put up with school anymore, simply because they are solely at a university to play ball.

Basically what I'm wondering is why? Is it the allure of the dollar? Pressure to financially support family members? Other temptations? It really is facinating for me that so many kids will declare early for the NBA draft but never even start a game and end up in the NBDL.

basically

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new collective bargaining agreement that will have to be hammered out after next year I believe. The owners will be pushing for less money/years on contracts and not that it'll probably effect these borderline prospects the most as far as getting some money, so maybe they're trying to get it now while the gettins good.

Or I could be completely wrong and they are just getting bad advice.

fixed.

I understand why, but I still can't believe he left. But, I guess overseas or D-League money is better than no money.

If there's a larger pool of mediocrity, there's a higher chance they could fool a team into guaranteed money than if compeition was better.

Exactly what Scooper said.

In Bledsoes case , his family reallyy really...really need money flowing in that fam.

This happens every year and this year is no different. There are a myriad of reasons. Money, hating school, family pressure, grades, bad advice, etc. *shrugs*

There could be a lockout after next season, I believe.

but yeah:
This happens every year and this year is no different. There are amyriad of reasons. Money, hating school, family pressure, grades, badadvice, etc. *shrugs*

Two of the guys you mentioned have been projected in certain mock drafts to get drafted in the late 1st round.... (Gallon/Stephenson).  Doesn't mean that it will happen, but like Dre said:

This happens every year and this year is no different. There are a myriad of reasons. Money, hating school, family pressure, grades, bad advice, etc.  

Originally Posted by dreClark

This happens every year and this year is no different. There are a myriad of reasons. Money, hating school, family pressure, grades, bad advice, etc. *shrugs*

Its not rocket science really.

Back
Top Bottom