So, you're not allowed to show emotion in baseball.....

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by JONFARR

Its funny to see how many people on this forum hate baseball (and a lot of other great sports like Hockey). The simple minded just can't grasp much outside of basketball and football.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I actually kind of like how baseball players take it upon themselves topolice the game. You think someone is showing you up? +%*% 'em, throw abaseball at them. You know how many times I wish I could have peggedsomeone with a baseball after they pissed me off?
All of this.

+1 I threw at peopleat least a dozen times in my decade of pitching. There are some things that you just don't do on the baseball field. Never went at heads though, but a good fastball to the ribs teaches lessons.

The emotion that players display when celebrating is what makes it fun. Otherwise, it's going to seem like a bunch of robots playing. I remember when Jose Reyes of the Mets was told to tone his emotions/celebrations down. He's never been the same player since.

Originally Posted by DubA169

just imagine if a player got dunked on, the guy celebrates, and the next time down the court he throws the basketball at the dunker's head. we would say it's ******ed. But throwing a 97 MPH hard ball and someones head is all good. it's ridiculous and kind of barbaric
Yeah, since that's the same thing...
eyes.gif

First, guys don't throw at people's heads for stuff like this... Pitchers will put one in somebody's ribs or back... Second, a better comparison for basketball would be somebody giving up a hard foul the next time down the floor. But people will cry and complain if an NBA official give someone a tech for celebrating or somebody a flagrant for the hard send-a-message foul back down the court... Or they'll cry foul when an NFL referee throws a flag for excessive celebration...

If an MLB umpire took away a run by putting somebody pimping a homer on second or third, or issued an extra out for excessive celebration, people would piss and moan about that too... 

Baseball players police themselves and people don't like it. The NBA and NFL are over-officiated and controlled by whistles, and people don't like it. I know DoubleJs ain't this way, but this topic is nothing more than something for people who don't like baseball to complain about.
grin.gif

they should allow more emotion in baseball. their "unwritten rules" at times are a joke.

there's certain times i understand their reasoning for plunking someone but alot of times it's over something small or pety. if i hit a home run, (as long as my team isn't getting blown out at the moment) you damn right im going to show a little emotion because it's hard to hit a home run. if the pitcher takes exception to that then screw him, ill try and hit a line drive at him somewhere down the line.

alot of pitchers (especially in the AL due to them not having to bad unless they play interleague ball in a NL park) seem to overly celebrate when they strike someone out or get out of a tough situation which is fine by me but it's funny when they get butthurt over someone celebrating scoring a run or getting a hit when they act like they won game 7 of the world series when they strike a guy out. i notice closers are the worst when it comes to this.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

just imagine if a player got dunked on, the guy celebrates, and the next time down the court he throws the basketball at the dunker's head. we would say it's ******ed. But throwing a 97 MPH hard ball and someones head is all good. it's ridiculous and kind of barbaric
Yeah, since that's the same thing...
eyes.gif

First, guys don't throw at people's heads for stuff like this... Pitchers will put one in somebody's ribs or back... Second, a better comparison for basketball would be somebody giving up a hard foul the next time down the floor. But people will cry and complain if an NBA official give someone a tech for celebrating or somebody a flagrant for the hard send-a-message foul back down the court... Or they'll cry foul when an NFL referee throws a flag for excessive celebration...

If an MLB umpire took away a run by putting somebody pimping a homer on second or third, or issued an extra out for excessive celebration, people would piss and moan about that too... 

Baseball players police themselves and people don't like it. The NBA and NFL are over-officiated and controlled by whistles, and people don't like it. I know DoubleJs ain't this way, but this topic is nothing more than something for people who don't like baseball to complain about.
grin.gif
I love baseball, but the sensitive nature/unwritten rule component has ALWAYS bothered me....I love seeing guys get hyped...this goes back as far as seeing Pascual Perez doing his thing on the mound back in the 80's....I like seeing Barry Bonds doing a spin after a HR, Rickey popping his collar, Sammy Sosa jumping out of the batters box, Joba getting fired up after a SO, etc etc....there is nothing wrong w. emotion....ESPECIALLY emotion that is adrenaline based.  Baseball is full of purists and traditionalists who hate seeing these types of things, and I understand that.  The game does police itself, but I don't think what Phillips did really warranted getting beaned. 

As long as the pitcher doesn't throw at a guy's head, I'm perfectly okay with it. I actually like, as other people said, the idea of policing themselves. You do something to show another player/team up, there may be repercussions, just like there may be for the pitcher who beans the batter.

i love how hockey players police their sport. i think throwing a baseball at someone is ridiculous. i'm not calling for it to be abolished, i think it's silly.

throwing a ball at someone doesn't make you less vagina. actually fighting the person that wronged you does. (hockey)

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

baseball has stupid "unwritten rules"

it is what it is...DUMB
this. so the pitcher can stand there on his pretty little mound 60ft away and hit people with a 90mph ball as he pleases? then why doesn't he stand there and let the batter run up take a swing at his ribcage... how would he like that?
eyes.gif

Its funny to see how many people on this forum hate baseball (and a lot of other great sports like Hockey). The simple minded just can't grasp much outside of basketball and football.
indifferent.gif
what i can't "grasp," is why a hitting a stationary player with a 90mph projectile is somehow an accepted part of a non-contact sport. in basketball/football.. if somebody hits you hard, you hit them back on the next play. baseball is not that kind of sport.. so why is nonsense like this permitted?

i'm glad i never played baseball... if somebody ever hit me with a pitch i would've rushed the mound and broken one of their ribs. if i dont end up in the hospital, they will.

i didn't think it deserved a beaning cuz he did it after he touched home facing his dugout... it wasn't taunting.

but at the same time, i figured they'd hit him, as did Phillips.

they should allow more emotion in baseball. their "unwritten rules" at times are a joke.
Nobody is stopping them, they are allowed to celebrate.

The problem is that it is a self-policed sport.  You can celebrate all you want, the problem is if you piss the other team off they can do something about it.

It's one thing that I like about baseball...and you can say the same about hockey.  You celebrate heavy in hockey, enough to show up the opposing team, best believe their goon is going to be on your %%+.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating a run.  I could see why the Nats got pissed off.  Phillips ran over their catcher, stepped on home and then pounded his chest.  Think if someone did that to your teammate?  You're going to be happy about it, GT F O.

Imagine if the internet was around during the days of Don Drysdale and Juan Marichal, ya'll pansies panties would've been twisted in all sorts of ways.

Originally Posted by DT43

it is what it is...DUMB
this. so the pitcher can stand there on his pretty little mound 60ft away and hit people with a 90mph ball as he pleases? then why doesn't he stand there and let the batter run up take a swing at his ribcage... how would he like that?
eyes.gif

indifferent.gif
what i can't "grasp," is why a hitting a stationary player with a 90mph projectile is somehow an accepted part of a non-contact sport. in basketball/football.. if somebody hits you hard, you hit them back on the next play. baseball is not that kind of sport.. so why is nonsense like this permitted?

i'm glad i never played baseball... if somebody ever hit me with a pitch i would've rushed the mound and broken one of their ribs. if i dont end up in the hospital, they will.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

Just get over the fact that your mind can't grasp the slightest bit of complexity. Baseball is a thinking mans sport, its all good that you don't like to use your brain and all but don't try to discredit a sport because it doesn't compute.

If you played baseball the pitcher wouldn't have to worry about hitting you with a pitch because you wouldn't be able to hit the ball in the first place and would make for a easy backwards K at best left at the plate wondering what just happened and what a backwards K might even be. Also, if you watched baseball you would know that batters have tried what you said and barely ever make it to the mound. And more often than not the ones that do make it to the mound get blasted again by the pitcher, take a look at some old footage of Nolan Ryan pal.

laugh.gif
What?
You can hate baseball all you want. I don't even care if you click baseball threads. Just know what the hell you're talking about if you decide to post, because that's waaaayyyy off.

at certain times they overreact though, my thing is that alot of pitchers especially AL pitchers beaning someone for celebrating is like the pot calling the kettle black and they have the benefit of rarely ever having to bat so they can drill someone for celebrating while being able to celebrate all they want with no reprecussions.

i like how they police themselves to an extent but they overreact at times. my take on celebrating is prevent the person from scoring or don't get struck out and you won't have to deal with the batter or pitcher celebrating.

^^^^

It's a team sport, so if you get unjustifiably drilled, your pitcher will drill someone for you.  That's the way it works
wink.gif

I'm not really into baseball, but I played as a kid, and this reminds me of one time this kid pitched 5 innings without any hits and my cousin got a hit off him and I guess he got pissed. Next at bat he throws that #%$# at my cousins thigh so my cousin runs up and lays him out clean. #%$# was so funny to me man. I understand the fact that you can't allow people to show you up, but at the same time it is kinda silly when it's over something petty. I mean at least in hockey when them goons come after you you can hit back. And Dub you sound ******ed, you never seen a dude foul someone after getting %!$%!!$ on by them? It's the same thing.

I saw this today and I found it to be ******ed. All Phillips did was fist pump which is understandable and not out of line at all. It's not like he did cartwheels or anything. The catcher likely would've celebrated too if he held onto the ball.

Nah, that *!*@ just boring. Ain't nothing simple about me.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I actually kind of like how baseball players take it upon themselves to police the game. You think someone is showing you up? +%*% 'em, throw a baseball at them. You know how many times I wish I could have pegged someone with a baseball after they pissed me off?
roll.gif

more emotion should be allowed to be shown but at least players are policing the game in that sense, the pitcher can peg the guy if he wants to or not. it's not like the nba where a technical foul is automatically called by the refs

Originally Posted by DT43

it is what it is...DUMB
eyes.gif

indifferent.gif
what i can't "grasp," is why a hitting a stationary player with a 90mph projectile is somehow an accepted part of a non-contact sport. in basketball/football.. if somebody hits you hard, you hit them back on the next play. baseball is not that kind of sport.. so why is nonsense like this permitted?

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

Just get over the fact that your mind can't grasp the slightest bit of complexity. Baseball is a thinking mans sport, its all good that you don't like to use your brain and all but don't try to discredit a sport because it doesn't compute.

If you played baseball the pitcher wouldn't have to worry about hitting you with a pitch because you wouldn't be able to hit the ball in the first place and would make for a easy backwards K at best left at the plate wondering what just happened and what a backwards K might even be. Also, if you watched baseball you would know that batters have tried what you said and barely ever make it to the mound. And more often than not the ones that do make it to the mound get blasted again by the pitcher, take a look at some old footage of Nolan Ryan pal.
it's quite evident that you're the simple minded one here.
laugh.gif

the finer aspects of each baseball, basketball, and football are all equally complex.  listen to yourself right now, you  honestly sound like a clown.

"only the thinking man indulges in baseball, while the simple and mentally inept are reduced fallowing basketball and football"

riiiiiiiiiiight. you give pretty clear insight into the type of person you actually are, i'm not even going to get into it though. +%#$@*! tool
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom