SoCal NT heads! School me on the differences between LA/Long Beach/OC & San Diego..

To make a long story short, I'm a 21 year old that has been living in San Diego my whole life and have always been curious as what life is really like upnorth. In a matter of two years, there's a very good chance that I will be moving out of my parents house and begin a new life somewhere else.. better yet,somewhere NEW.

I've been up north to the LA/LB/OC area a handful of times the past two years with friends who moved away from home and went to college and the vibe.. thescene.. the atmosphere.. It's very different from San Diego and personally, I like it.

However, I'm still left with a lot of questions. If you were me.. and the time was right.. where would you would rather live? What else should I knowbefore I make the big decision of moving away from home? In the end, the decision is really up to me but I thought it'd be a good idea to get some inputfrom SoCal heads. Represent now!
smokin.gif

Out here, EVERYTHING is spread out. In SD, you're within an arms reach of almost everything.

SD has a real downtown, only real downtown up here is the Disney variation.

I <3 SD, I definitely want to live down there once i'm older.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Out here, EVERYTHING is spread out. In SD, you're within an arms reach of almost everything.

I <3 SD, I definitely want to live down there once i'm older.
Yeah, that's exactly what I love about SD.

I speak in the mindset of someone who's trying to find himself, who still wants to have fun, experience what it's like to live in a different city andof course, to meet new people.

Orange County is like Californias personal Flordia, nice laid back atmopshere

LA, is where everythings at. The big clubs, nice females, the landmarks, musems, where everything good&bad is going on.

LB, is hot not much out there. People I know that are from there come to the city often.

I think since you said you enjoyed the vibe of a different city, you should check out LA, somewhere around the Hollywood area. But if you're just lookingfor a change of pace, there are little nooks and crannies close to universities in Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Newport.

Some of my friends live around the Glendale area and drive all over LA. Expect to drive a lot as well.

Originally Posted by Mercutio

I think since you said you enjoyed the vibe of a different city, you should check out LA, somewhere around the Hollywood area. But if you're just looking for a change of pace, there are little nooks and crannies close to universities in Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Newport.

Some of my friends live around the Glendale area and drive all over LA. Expect to drive a lot as well.
I've had a number of people mention this "change of pace"? Can someone elaborate a little bit more.

And as for the driving situation, I've seen firsthand what traffic is like combined with the "defensive" drivers out there. It's verydifferent from San Diego freeways.. i think I'd be able to manage.

As far as the ladies go, where are all the cute Filipinas at?
smokin.gif

Being that you are from the 562, I will give you a pass, but I strongly disagree.

Downtown LA is no longer the 9-5 "bustling" and shutdown at sundown, that we once knew.

There are tons of things to do in Downtown, unfortunately, if you are not around the area, you don't know about it. There are tons of bars and lowkeyclubs that really do cater to the more "professional" crowd. Take that for what it's worth. I definitely dig the Downtown vibe now that I amolder, compared to the Hollywood vibe I used to dig when I was 21-24. There are a ton of bars and restaurants around the area. Try to look them up onurbanspoon.com, it is a great site with great reviews. The addition of LA Live, will only make Downtown better. However, some fear that it will key thelowkey vibe that has been built in the past 5 years.

In terms of living. Downtown LA is not cheap by any means, however, the surrounding areas are cheaper (Echo Park, Silver Lake, etc.)

The people that say there is nothing to do in Downtown LA just haven't experienced it.

Everything is a drive away, with no traffic, everything is within reach. The Long Beach scene, Seafood in San Pedro, the beaches in Orange County. I avoidtraffic like a plague, it's a skill
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Being that you are from the 562, I will give you a pass, but I strongly disagree.

Downtown LA is no longer the 9-5 "bustling" and shutdown at sundown, that we once knew.

There are tons of things to do in Downtown, unfortunately, if you are not around the area, you don't know about it. There are tons of bars and lowkey clubs that really do cater to the more "professional" crowd. Take that for what it's worth. I definitely dig the Downtown vibe now that I am older, compared to the Hollywood vibe I used to dig when I was 21-24. There are a ton of bars and restaurants around the area. Try to look them up on urbanspoon.com, it is a great site with great reviews. The addition of LA Live, will only make Downtown better. However, some fear that it will key the lowkey vibe that has been built in the past 5 years.

In terms of living. Downtown LA is not cheap by any means, however, the surrounding areas are cheaper (Echo Park, Silver Lake, etc.)

The people that say there is nothing to do in Downtown LA just haven't experienced it.

Everything is a drive away, with no traffic, everything is within reach. The Long Beach scene, Seafood in San Pedro, the beaches in Orange County. I avoid traffic like a plague, it's a skill
smokin.gif

This was really helpful, breh!

I've heard many great things about Downtown LA and it's something that I like forward to experiencing when I get a chance to go out there again. Iactually just turned 21 in June so it definitely sounds like a plan when I'm a little bit older and situated. I like to get down and have fun but at thesame time, I like to kick back with my bros and enjoy a drink or two in "professional" venues.

I'm not too sure about living in Downtown LA, although that would be a trip if I ever had the opportunity to haha. Who knows? I've been around theCerritos/Norwalk/La Palma area and it seems like a very chill spot to live.

LA is where it's at.. But you're not just restricted to the city itself. Chances are no matter where you're at you'll probably hit LAfrequently, and traffic isn't bad at all if you're mostly going at night. I stay in Pomona and can get to downtown LA in 17 minutes easy at night.

Personally I like Long Beach a lot just because it reminds me of home in a lot of ways

I like Downtown LA's bar scene better (maybe coz like Ironman, I'm older and probably grew out the club scene)...

Broadway Bar, Golden Gopher, Standard (hit or miss), Edison, Elevate...and there are tons more rooftop bars scattered around like Thompson Beverly Hills,etc...

i think the "change of pace" dude was referring to probably has something to do how people live over there in LA..

i just went to LA last week and i def realized that their "pace" is much faster.. like you, i was born and raised in SD. im not saying dudes over inLA arent chill but you know how SD heads are.. we aint really on that fast life like i noticed a little in LA. In SD, we're pretty nonchalant about thingsand take it how it goes. Partying in LA is different than SD for sure. Ive been to clubs where some of them dudes were just mad ignorant and gave theimpression that their ____ dont stank.. maybe im being super biased but in SD, peoples are really chill and it doesnt really feel like a"competition" out here, as far as how girls act, and how dudes dress and present themselves..

going to SDSU, ive met many people from LA and SF, and they def can vouch that SD is straight for everything..

I cant hate though, LA is the destination for when i want to get out of SD for atleast a weekend. theres so much more to do "tourist" wise in LA. igot mad love for LA, LB and OC.. like you said, ultimately, its up to you.

Originally Posted by jp since 88

Originally Posted by Mercutio

I think since you said you enjoyed the vibe of a different city, you should check out LA, somewhere around the Hollywood area. But if you're just looking for a change of pace, there are little nooks and crannies close to universities in Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Newport.

I've had a number of people mention this "change of pace"? Can someone elaborate a little bit more.

And as for the driving situation, I've seen firsthand what traffic is like combined with the "defensive" drivers out there. It's very different from San Diego freeways.. i think I'd be able to manage.

tAs far as the ladies go, where are all the cute Filipinas a?
smokin.gif
CARSON/LBC/LAWNDALE/WEST COVINA

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

LA is where it's at.. But you're not just restricted to the city itself. Chances are no matter where you're at you'll probably hit LA frequently, and traffic isn't bad at all if you're mostly going at night. I stay in Pomona and can get to downtown LA in 17 minutes easy at night.

Personally I like Long Beach a lot just because it reminds me of home in a lot of ways

the only thing that LBC really has is bolsa chica the beash beach in lbc by far, and ocean BLVD where there is a lot of cruising and its just a niceatmosphere.

you should check out griffeth park at night. especially if you coming with a female
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MECKS

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

LA is where it's at.. But you're not just restricted to the city itself. Chances are no matter where you're at you'll probably hit LA frequently, and traffic isn't bad at all if you're mostly going at night. I stay in Pomona and can get to downtown LA in 17 minutes easy at night.

the only thing that LBC really has is bolsa chica the beash beach in lbc by far, and ocean BLVD where there is a lot of cruising and its just a nice atmosphere.

you should check out griffeth park at night. especially if you coming with a female
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Haha.

The LBC atmosphere is one that I like. I have a homie who goes to CSULB and I visit him every now and then. We kick it over a few bowls, go cruisin', peepgame.. pretty much just lay back and relax.

Thanks a lot for all of the info peeps. It means a lot!
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by Dunk These
eek.gif

whats gooood homie

hahah. i still lurk. i mostly just peep game in general. i aint tryna jack the thread but whats good bro!?!? you still in the game? long time no see/speak..

Back
Top Bottom