Socal NURSES

Originally Posted by m0nstar

I just graduated from high school this year (young cat, I know) but I already started occupational school down here in San Diego.

So far, my plan is to take a few certificate classes, Im taking MA right now and plan on taking CNA and Health Essentials after. After I get those certificates, I plan on going to community college to work on my Associates and transfer to a university to get that bachelors.

But I've also heard that you don't necessarily need to transfer to get your bachelors or it would take less then 2 years after community to get that bach.

Is this true?

lots of questions, so lets just start from the beginning.
you could get your RN from a junior college. that would mean that you have to have your pre-reqs finished before applying, not including the other classesneeded to fulfill the Associates of Science. The reason why many people opt for private colleges for RN is because of the waiting list (2 years or more at JCs)Although you could get in sooner, the cons is the cost, $30-$40k, minimum. (Westcoast, Concordia in Irvine, USC, etc)

When you get into the RN program, after your first semester, you are eligible to do CNA work at a hospital. CNA programs right now are only a semesterlong.

If you choose to pursue more after obtaining your RN, you could go to a bachelor's or master's program. For a bachelor's I've heard youcould do the accelerated program in a year or two (Mt St Mary's). For a master's program, there are accelerated programs that you could do in 36 months(Cal State Fullerton) - which is a Nurse Anesthesist Program. However, you have to have at least 1 year of critical care experience before applying for it.

As an LVN, you could do the bridge program into RN, which takes about a year (Westcoast college)

So what's the best way? Depends on your situation. If you want to get your career started, go private college and hope to score big on the scholarships,which usually have stipulations like committing yourself to the hospital that is going to pay for your tuition (2 year minimum)

If you could wait, go JC. But more importantly, ask yourself if you really want to do this. Ive seen so many people wait and wait, do the pre-reqs, get intothe nursing program, only to do their first floor care rotation and drop out coz they couldnt handle the sight of blood, smell of poop, and so on. Any hospitaljob is good to pick up, or even ask to shadow an RN for a day...

Originally Posted by m0nstar

I just graduated from high school this year (young cat, I know) but I already started occupational school down here in San Diego.

So far, my plan is to take a few certificate classes, Im taking MA right now and plan on taking CNA and Health Essentials after. After I get those certificates, I plan on going to community college to work on my Associates and transfer to a university to get that bachelors.

But I've also heard that you don't necessarily need to transfer to get your bachelors or it would take less then 2 years after community to get that bach.

Is this true?
You can take pre reqs and transfer straight into a university RN program. It gets competitive but honestly if you can maintain good grades and ahigh GPA I don't see why not just do that. You don't necessarily need to go to a private school. Hit me up homie I'd be more than willing to helpyou out.

Sorry not trying to thread jack but thinking about going to school to be an x-ray tech ...do we have any here? If so how do you like it? advice?

Back
Top Bottom