Sold something on ebay and seller is claiming its defective Vol. not tryna get scammed

So i sold a motherboard with processor on ebay.
the buyer paid and then i shipped.
the address he provided was
8 McCullough Dr.
U136691
New Castle DE 19726
United States

but the zip code for new castle DE is actually 19720, so the tracking number shows it was delivered to
8 McCullough Dr.
U136691
New Castle DE 19720
United States
I found this out after i shipped because he told me that he never received the item, even though usps shipping said it was delivered. he claimed i shipped it to the wrong zip code but a quick google search reveals there have been scams with people using that zip code and then scamming by saying the item was not delivered.

So i told the buyer on sep. 9
"The zip code for new castle deleware is 19720
19726 is for newark deleware.
your shipping information says new castle deleware"

He never responded to that message nor informed me if he ever did receive the package.
I get a message today from him saying that the motherboard doesnt work and that he has to use a different processor and all of this BS.

What should I do to avoid ebay siding with him and to avoid me losing money.
I already removed all money from my paypal and unlinked my payment information.

I actually just checked my paypal account and it shows my balance is negative 87 dollars

used electronic is always ehhh.... when it comes time to sell.

best to sell local so you can prove operability.

I've sold networking gear on eBay with no issues. I always ship ship via eBay and add signature confirmation to the package.

So i sold a motherboard with processor on ebay.
the buyer paid and then i shipped.
the address he provided was
8 McCullough Dr.
U136691
New Castle DE 19726
United States

but the zip code for new castle DE is actually 19720, so the tracking number shows it was delivered to
8 McCullough Dr.
U136691
New Castle DE 19720
United States
I found this out after i shipped because he told me that he never received the item, even though usps shipping said it was delivered. he claimed i shipped it to the wrong zip code but a quick google search reveals there have been scams with people using that zip code and then scamming by saying the item was not delivered.

So i told the buyer on sep. 9
"The zip code for new castle deleware is 19720
19726 is for newark deleware.
your shipping information says new castle deleware"

He never responded to that message nor informed me if he ever did receive the package.
I get a message today from him saying that the motherboard doesnt work and that he has to use a different processor and all of this BS.

What should I do to avoid ebay siding with him and to avoid me losing money.
I already removed all money from my paypal and unlinked my payment information.

I actually just checked my paypal account and it shows my balance is negative 87 dollars
ask this question on the ebay subreddit..they are very helpful in situations like this

**edit I mean ebay

ebay policy has been allowing this fraud :smh:

Not sure if they made changes to their policy but this article mentions ebay would announce changes in the Autumn.

"According to eBay, it will announce permanent policy changes in the autumn. “Learning from the experiences of the 50,000 UK and US sellers in the pilot, we have created a different returns experience, including putting obstacles in the way of suspected fraudsters to prevent refunds, or even blocking a buyer entirely when we suspect fraud before they’ve been refunded,” it says. “We’re also giving the sellers who offer free or 30-day returns the ability to allow partial refunds on faulty, damaged and lost item claims so that they can recover costs.”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...g-sellers-buyers-manipulate-system-protection

yeah I sell sneakers only via consignment

never sold 1 item on the bay

Take the L OP

sites like ebay designed to protect the customer

next time dont sell anything on a site like that that is subjective in its ability to work...ive only sold sneakers and clothes and on an "as is" condition

Does the item work? He's claiming it doesn't work with what he has currently which should be his problem because he should know what's he's buying for his setup

That's probably your only argument

If he opens up a return properly, eBay will side with him and force you to pay for a return label and once it’s received by you, you have a few days to refund or eBay will refund him from your paypal/credit card

Did he return the item? Once it arrives claim a item received not the same as sent. He claimed the motherboard needed a processor so it works? I've sold a few items on ebay and been fortunate to not get scammed but I always try to follow precautions.

I sell on Craigslist exclusively now. Although I might get a little less, it's an open and shut transaction

Back
Top Bottom