Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

cartel-drug-map.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/pablo-escobar-el-chapo
Where's MS, TN, and GA at on here? I'm pretty sure work is distributed to those states from the Chi

Last edited:
acuracy has no relationship to the quality of film.

Selma is a great movie but not accurate.

Inglorious basterds great movie not acurate.

This isn't documentary, it's film making, whats the point if you aren't going to take artistic liberties?

If you wan't accuracy go watch, Che Stephen Soderburgs 5 hour biopic, it will bore you to tears but danm is it accurate! :lol:

Those are two wholy different things I'm speaking about. Your talking about historically accuracy. I'm talking about CULTURAL accuracy.

If all the people in Selma spoke with New York accents it wouldn't be as good of a movie. This concept isn't hard to grasp at all.
The majority of the cast on The Wire all had NY accents and it is still one of the greatest tv series ever made.

If accuracy in depicting the culture makes the piece of work better to you then that's just you. Some times that's the case, some times the material is so good or so bad that cultural accuracy doesn't matter.

Not from these ****** he's not. It's an old comedy. REALLY old. Ancient Greece old.
Spike ain't trying to hide it either. One of the characters is named Lysistrata so he's obviously paying homage :lol:  

Yea this is based off an Old Play, but this also happened in Real Life In Liberia (Google "Pray the Devil to Hell" I think thats the name of the story), where the women withheld sex from men to get them to stop fighting in the Civil War.

This looks Good, I can't take Nick Cannon Series as a goon, but I guess it adds to the nature of it being Satire. Lol And NT is the last site I`d expect majority to enjoy a Spike Flick not named He Got Game.

cosign. I haven't seen his last couple movies. last spike joint i watched was his EXCELLENT 2 part doc on HBO on hurricane katrina. his recent stuff has been lowkey (outside of oldboy, but i'll prolly watch the korean one instead).

but this looks great. def looking forward to this.

There's some high and mighty black folk in this thread. :lol:

Some of you remind me of the racist white people who are boycotting "Star Wars" just because the lead actor is BLACK. Similar to trashing this movie just because Spike Lee directed it. This movie is made for black people to leave the theater and have a muture conversation about the high murder rate in Chicago, if not their own communities.

I say give it a chance before you dog the movie. A two minute trailer isn't going to depict every scenario within the movie.

Just my opinion.

Damn Nick Cannon. Ruining a movie just by starring in it.

My only issue, I couldn't commit to watching it with a possibility of Nick Cannon for more than half an hour.

Gets a nod for some of the other features tho

the problem is pride in genocide. It's fashionable and acceptable to take down our own kind. This movie doesn't look good to me.

Looks accurate to me.
All them "Drill Rappers" are some clowns anyway, so its only fitting that NC portrays them in a movie.

As far as the other issues like racism and gentrification, and lack of resources and education for the youth go, its not like these same problems dont exist literally everywhere else.
Besides:
racism is NOT a good reason why young blacks should be killing each other
gentrification is NOT a good reason for young blacks to be killing each other
lack of resources is NOT a good reason for young blacks to be killing each other and
lack of education is NOT a good reason for young blacks to be killing each other.

Those are not reasons for the violence they are EXCUSES for it.

All of these things were present before and during the Civil rights movement, in greater abundance, and it did not stop them from changing the entire country and in fact the world.
No one is gonna tell me that it cant be done in ONE city.

The only difference between now and then is that back then people made up their mind that they wanted a change and banded TOGETHER to make it happen.
Today black people would rather kill each other than to band together.
Unless of course its about a white cop killing a black man or woman. Only then do we exhibit A1 organizational skills to make positive changes.

Looks accurate to me.
All them "Drill Rappers" are some clowns anyway, so its only fitting that NC portrays them in a movie.

As far as the other issues like racism and gentrification, and lack of resources and education for the youth go, its not like these same problems dont exist literally everywhere else.
Besides:
lack of resources is NOT a good reason for young blacks to be killing each other and
lack of education is NOT a good reason for young blacks to be killing each other.

All of these things were present before and during the Civil rights movement, in greater abundance, and it did not stop them from changing the entire country and in fact the world.

The only difference between now and then is that back then people made up their mind that they wanted a change and banded TOGETHER to make it happen.
Unless of course its about a white cop killing a black man or woman. Only then do we exhibit A1 organizational skills to make positive changes.

Repped.

I'm excited to see it. I won't judge it yet. He used the same creative process he used for School Daze. That's pretty cool. We'll see next month though.

Looks accurate to me.

Besides:

I disagree.

The difference to me is there were fathers in the home, the father is the pillar of the black family, the systemic removal of that pillar was done to engineer the collapse we have witnessed.

I dont understand how people are saying this is making light of the issues of chicago? Are you all this dense? Lol. Like sorry if I sound condescending, but damn.

Its like the one movie about the Dad and Son during the Holocaust, it was not a Comedy, it took a light heart approach to tell the story of a horrific time in order for the viewer to be able to digest what other wise would be unfortable. If spike made this a hood movie with the typical formula, people would rooting for a character and talking anout how cool someone was missing the social commentary.

I dont understand how people are saying this is making light of the issues of chicago? Are you all this dense? Lol. Like sorry if I sound condescending, but damn.

Its like the one movie about the Dad and Son during the Holocaust, it was not a Comedy, it took a light heart approach to tell the story of a horrific time in order for the viewer to be able to digest what other wise would be unfortable. If spike made this a hood movie with the typical formula, people would rooting for a character and talking anout how cool someone was missing the social commentary.

View media item 1095080

Saw the trailer. Apparently its a black american take on a Greek play called Lysistrata.

I'm intrigued.

Back
Top Bottom