Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

Hahaha this guy. So we just wave a magic wand and everything is ok,
Yeah thats what I was saying. A magic wand will solve all our problems!

You don't think that 1-2% that runs the world doesn't love Drill music?
Why wouldn't they put wads of money behind these kids to promote it more?
Of course. They love it. They want to get as many gullible souls as they can to listen to and try to emulate that trash.
And yes there are some drill rapper that are being sponsered to spread that ignorance.

You don't think that the 1-2% that runs the world doesn't love drug, crime and gang-banging?
The reason why our communities are littered with drugs, crime, gang-banging is not solely our fault.
These have always been easy ways to make money, so they provide it to us easily.
They portray it as solely our fault, create laws specifically to cage us for the behaviors they have
groomed us for by provided resources and avenues to commit the crime.
What kind of time warp do you ****** be livin in? This is not the late 80s! This is NOT the 90s! Selling drugs is NOT an easy way to make money!
Selling drugs is an easy way to get locked up and enslaved, or killed. As a matter of fact that is one of the number one ways that the 1-2% get us to enslave OURSELVES.
Everybody already knows that we dont own the planes and boats that bring the drugs into the country. Everybody already knows that those drug are dumped in our neighborhoods by the govt.

But please explain to me how that automatically means that WE have to sell the drugs. Nobody is MAKING anybody sell drugs. People make that stupid decision all on their own.
Its LITERALLY a MILLION ways to make money without the possibility of getting locked in a cage and having your rights taken away.

Why?? Free Labor - Modern Day Slavery to make them richer for contracts they can attain
through their prisons they built, own and privately run.
And you guys sit there eat it up and point the finger solely at us
So if you already know that its a trap to enslave us then what kind of sense does it make to do it anyway. That is stupid.
That is like seeing a deep hole in the ground and at the bottom of it is a hundred dollar bill. In the back of your mind you are thinking " I want that $100. Its 'easy' money."
So you jump down into the hole without a ladder. At the bottom you quickly swipe up the $100 and feel satisfied about your come up, until you realize you have no way back out of the hole.
But instead of being mad at yourself, you get mad at the person who dug the hole to trap you in the 1st place. "Its not fair that someone built this hole for me to jump in."

My question is:
1. Was that $100 dollars really worth it?
2. How is constantly complaining about the fact that the hole is there in the first place gonna get you out of the hole?
What are you doing to help break the cycle and provide an opportunity for someone else lost?
What are you doing to expose those who are lost to other avenues of success and different cultues?
What are you doing to educate those that are lost to how we are actually perceived?
I talk to the young brothers all the time about staying free, and the traps that I personally have seen. I even mentor some young cats about *** to set goals and acheive them.
All I can do is be the best me I can be and offer some words of wisdom to those who will listen.

Is it really that easy to aspire to be something that you have no idea that exist
and no one has taken the time to expose you to the unforeseen opportunities?
Who said it was easy? Is it possible? YES! But only if you decide for yourself.

Is it really that easy to teach yourself self discipline when you grow up around a bunch of
unorganized, lost individuals who will not push or stay on you to do the right things?
People know right from wrong. If they say they dont, they are lying.
Once you are grown no one is gonna push you to do right, they are gonna push you to do wrong so that they can enslave you.
That is life. You have to learn from other people's mistakes. How many times have you heard that in your life?
it's not a popular saying for no reason.

How is complaining that no one ever told you gonna get you into a better situation?

the education system that is forced down your throat and even more unfathomable aspects?
Since when has the education system EVER been fair to the minorties. You already know history is tainted by those who wrote it.
Knowing that, seek the knowledege you wish to acquire. Its out there. there probably a Youtube video on it.

So stop saying it's so simple and easy to do this and that, and actually realize that

we are facing a major uphill battle that won't fix itself in merely a decade or two

Nobody said it would be easy. Thats the problem. people always looking for the easy way.
How about starting with the hardest thing to do. Change yourself and be an example.
It way easier to just follow what everybody else in the hood does like an autonomous robot zombie.
It takes strength to be an individual in a world of people who are unoriginal by choice.

Yeah thats what I was saying. A magic wand will solve all our problems!

Of course. They love it. They want to get as many gullible souls as they can to listen to and try to emulate that trash.
And yes there are some drill rapper that are being sponsered to spread that ignorance.

What kind of time warp do you ****** be livin in? This is not the late 80s! This is NOT the 90s! Selling drugs is NOT an easy way to make money!
Selling drugs is an easy way to get locked up and enslaved, or killed. As a matter of fact that is one of the number one ways that the 1-2% get us to enslave OURSELVES.
Everybody already knows that we dont own the planes and boats that bring the drugs into the country. Everybody already knows that those drug are dumped in our neighborhoods by the govt.

But please explain to me how that automatically means that WE have to sell the drugs. Nobody is MAKING anybody sell drugs. People make that stupid decision all on their own.
Its LITERALLY a MILLION ways to make money without the possibility of getting locked in a cage and having your rights taken away.

So if you already know that its a trap to enslave us then what kind of sense does it make to do it anyway. That is stupid.
That is like seeing a deep hole in the ground and at the bottom of it is a hundred dollar bill. In the back of your mind you are thinking " I want that $100. Its 'easy' money."
So you jump down into the hole without a ladder. At the bottom you quickly swipe up the $100 and feel satisfied about your come up, until you realize you have no way back out of the hole.
But instead of being mad at yourself, you get mad at the person who dug the hole to trap you in the 1st place. "Its not fair that someone built this hole for me to jump in."

My question is:
1. Was that $100 dollars really worth it?
2. How is constantly complaining about the fact that the hole is there in the first place gonna get you out of the hole?
I talk to the young brothers all the time about staying free, and the traps that I personally have seen. I even mentor some young cats about *** to set goals and acheive them.
All I can do is be the best me I can be and offer some words of wisdom to those who will listen.
Who said it was easy? Is it possible? YES! But only if you decide for yourself.
People know right from wrong. If they say they dont, they are lying.
Once you are grown no one is gonna push you to do right, they are gonna push you to do wrong so that they can enslave you.
That is life. You have to learn from other people's mistakes. How many times have you heard that in your life?
it's not a popular saying for no reason.

How is complaining that no one ever told you gonna get you into a better situation?

Since when has the education system EVER been fair to the minorties. You already know history is tainted by those who wrote it.
Knowing that, seek the knowledege you wish to acquire. Its out there. there probably a Youtube video on it.

Nobody said it would be easy. Thats the problem. people always looking for the easy way.
How about starting with the hardest thing to do. Change yourself and be an example.
It way easier to just follow what everybody else in the hood does like an autonomous robot zombie.
It takes strength to be an individual in a world of people who are unoriginal by choice.

Last edited:
Spike been washed, in order to invoke true reflection by art, the art must be good. This **** looks trash.

Bingo. Saw red hook summer on Netflix the other day...absolute trash.

You got dudes on here on their high horses looking down on "ignorant black people" as they put it...because they don't "understand satire" :smh:

Spike is making a movie about a city and people, and he's not representing them correctly. They have a right to voice their concerns no matter what.

Last edited:
Just because a movie is set somewhere, doesn't mean it's gonna replicate that city or its people to a T. Spike never claimed to be making a film representing Chicago or its neighborhoods as far as I know, so people should get over that fact. His responsibility isn't to make sure the people of Chicago are satisfied with its portrayal, nor is that realistic to be honest.

Just because a movie is set somewhere, doesn't mean it's gonna replicate that city or its people to a T. Spike never claimed to be making a film representing Chicago or its neighborhoods as far as I know, so people should get over that fact. His responsibility isn't to make sure the people of Chicago are satisfied with its portrayal, nor is that realistic to be honest.
it doesn't have to be 100% realistic but lets be serious, that first trailer looks closer to malibus most wanted or some ****. it really looks like a parody. you cant name the movie 'chiraq' knowing damn well where that name comes from and expect to get a positive reception when it looks like some clown ****, especially not from the people living that life. despite how you feel about Chicago gang culture it is what it is and it's serious, and if you're gonna capitalize on the name and reputation at least make your portrayal respectable. I understand he's adapting an older story as the basis for this but that doesn't excuse the total lack of authenticity and straight up cartoonish appearances of some of the characters. I love spikes movies but this isn't looking good so far. i'll reserve judgment for when I see it though.

it doesn't have to be 100% realistic but lets be serious, that first trailer looks closer to malibus most wanted or some ****. it really looks like a parody. you cant name the movie 'chiraq' knowing damn well where that name comes from and expect to get a positive reception when it looks like some clown ****, especially not from the people living that life. despite how you feel about Chicago gang culture it is what it is and it's serious, and if you're gonna capitalize on the name and reputation at least make your portrayal respectable. I understand he's adapting an older story as the basis for this but that doesn't excuse the total lack of authenticity and straight up cartoonish appearances of some of the characters. I love spikes movies but this isn't looking good so far. i'll reserve judgment for when I see it though.

Bingo. Take all my reps. That's all I've been saying.

Spike lost me with these fools rocking bandanas. Makes it look like some ignorant director from the burbs put this film together

All I'm getting from this is that Spike should've called it something different. And if that's really the case, it's a petty one. I mean, don't get me wrong, I 100% understand where you all are coming from, but this is Hollywood. Y'all are expecting realism from film makers who's job is to sensationalize to tell a story.

Sidenote, Y'all ever see Bangin' In Little Rock? I think somebody should make a film about Chicago under that same umbrella. Just a raw, straight to the point, uncensored display of what's really going on there. If something like that came out today...man.

Spike been washed, in order to invoke true reflection by art, the art must be good. This **** looks trash.

Bingo. Saw red hook summer on Netflix the other day...absolute trash.

You got dudes on here on their high horses looking down on "ignorant black people" as they put it...because they don't "understand satire" :smh:

Spike is making a movie about a city and people, and he's not representing them correctly. They have a right to voice their concerns no matter what.
This is another completely separate thing too.

The "it's satire" posts are for everybody posting like they aint know this is a satire or who actually don't know what the **** satire is.

If you think it's trash regardless of the format/genre it's okay for you to have that opinion. Go ahead and voice those concerns. That's just the typical judge a book by it's cover opinions movies get when the first trailer for movies come out.

However, it may also be yall dudes just don't like satires. I recall the same sort of posts in the Dear White People thread a year and change back.

The whole thing about movies is they are an art. If you don't think he's representing the Chi correctly that's okay and I can see from that standpoint wanting to hate the movie but that really has no bearing on if the movie itself is actually bad. This simply seems like nobody else has done a movie or attention getting documentary on Chicago and yall see this as the first movie actually about Chi and since it's the first you don't like what you're getting from the director/writer(s) but that has more to do with that whole situation being ignored for so long in the first place.

All I'm getting from this is that Spike should've called it something different. And if that's really the case, it's a petty one. I mean, don't get me wrong, I 100% understand where you all are coming from, but this is Hollywood. Y'all are expecting realism from film makers who's job is to sensationalize to tell a story.
if all you got from that is that I just think it should be called something else idk what to tell you baby pa, cause that's not the case. he could have called it anything but the fact remains that its (supposed to be) based around contemporary Chicago gang culture but it doesn't seem to come close to reflecting that, his entire portrayal is bordering on comical, and that's putting it lightly. and obviously film makers sensationalize, and I think we all know to suspend belief a little when watching any movie, but when they go way over the top they get called out on it. and that's regardless of the subject matter. this looks like a movie that spike would have spoke out against in the past. be real with yourself man, just a look at their clothes should tell you all you need to know.

if all you got from that is that I just think it should be called something else idk what to tell you baby pa, cause that's not the case. he could have called it anything but the fact remains that its (supposed to be) based around contemporary Chicago gang culture but it doesn't seem to come close to reflecting that, his entire portrayal is bordering on comical, and that's putting it lightly. and obviously film makers sensationalize, and I think we all know to suspend belief a little when watching any movie, but when they go way over the top they get called out on it. and that's regardless of the subject matter. this looks like a movie that spike would have spoke out against in the past. be real with yourself man, just a look at their clothes should tell you all you need to know.

Preach [emoji]128588[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]

Like I said, I feel you.

But I also feel like you guys are putting too much effort into thinking it should be "real." If you know it's Hollywood and if you know all the things that come with it, why even have an issue to begin with? You're complaining about **** like clothes man :lol:

I really feel like guys wanted to see those circa 1992 hood flicks, and if it we're any other director I'd maybe agree, but this is Spike Lee were talkin about. Do The Right Thing was about racism and I laughed my *** off during the movie at times, does that take away from how realistic and on point it was? That's why this logic from some of you is hard to understand.

Like I said, I feel you.

But I also feel like you guys are putting too much effort into thinking it should be "real." If you know it's Hollywood and if you know all the things that come with it, why even have an issue to begin with? You're complaining about **** like clothes man
laugh.gif

I really feel like guys wanted to see those circa 1992 hood flicks, and if it we're any other director I'd maybe agree, but this is Spike Lee were talkin about. Do The Right Thing was about racism and I laughed my *** off during the movie at times, does that take away from how realistic and on point it was? That's why this logic from some of you is hard to understand.
Hollywood or not. The people of Chicago own the term Chi-raq. If you are going to commercialize it and make money on it then you should portray the people properly (Not seriously but at least authentic in flavor/vibe). 

If he made a movie called "Piru City: A Westside Story" based the whole story on the classic broadway play "West Side Story" and had a bunch of clowns in it trivializing their life and struggles and putting them on display to be laughed at by mainstream america.... He wouldn't try walking down the street in Compton. It's as simple as that. People in Chicago have been shot for less offensive things.

No they don't own it :lol: They don't even own the name Chicago.

Also the whole point of commercializing and monetizing something isn't about respecting the ppl it's based on.

This whole don't make fun of us or you can't walk our streets is complete bull ****. So the **** what? That whole mentality is weak as **** if all you got in return is threats.

So, again, if it was called something different, would this even be an issue?

Y'all hear Chi-raq and your minds automatically think about Drill Music and whatever else the mainstream media associates with the term. Who's fault is that?

So, again, if it was called something different, would this even be an issue?

Y'all hear Chi-raq and your minds automatically think about Drill Music and whatever else the mainstream media associates with the term. Who's fault is that?
can't speak for anyone else but heres how to rectify the situation in my eyes

1) Cast more Chicagoans in primary roles... Alvin Johnson... that's the best you could do?

2) Change the city. Do your story remake somewhere else.... The idea of a sex strike highlighting issues about Chicago violence is not viable. 

3) make an incredible film... we'll see if he gets let off the hook.

You guys are centering the focus around music because thats where you heard the term but its really more about the streets being a literal war zone. He probably could've called the movie Drill and recieved like 1/5th of the backlash

So make the movie you want not the way he wants to do it :lol:

If anything all this anger or passion about this should motivate you or somebody else that feels the same way to go make the movie you feel the ppl deserve.

Last edited:
I know what Chiraq means, and so does everybody else, that's why everybody has this image already painted in their minds of what they think it should look like. All I'm saying is that this is art and he's gonna put his own creative spin on it.

Short of actually disrespecting it's citizens, I don't see what's so wrong about it.

Last edited:
Like I said, I feel you.

But I also feel like you guys are putting too much effort into thinking it should be "real." If you know it's Hollywood and if you know all the things that come with it, why even have an issue to begin with? You're complaining about **** like clothes man :lol:

Come on bro clothes matter in movies and you know that. It's called wardrobe, a whole team of people get paid to assemble it.

And it is you're right, it is Spike Lee. The dude who made Clockers and He Got Game. Not trying to say he should get put in a box but we know how he can keep it gritty.

Anyway, we can just agree to disagree. I feel like if he was gonna base his movie around a certain culture you should do it accurately. But for all I know the movie might still do that, so I guess we can't call it just yet anyway lol.

But you were using clothes as a reason why a movie isn't realistic, I just found that odd :lol:

But yea, agree to disagree. I would've loved if he took a different, more straight forward approach. But it's kinda cool to see it from this point of view also.

Back
Top Bottom