(Spoilers) ASOIAF Books Discussion (All Books Read Edition) (Spoilers)

All this stannis talk :lol:

It doesn't matter how eloquent your explanation is to why he may still be alive

Dude is dead :lol: He gone

Last edited:
I realize that they had to do something with the Dorne storyline because it was to complex for the show but geesh :x

Starting to question if Stannis even dies in the book and just how much freelancing they have done so far

They been free lancing for awhile. 3
Things the show did right that was freelanced.
Tywin & Arya
Tywin & olena / (the entire situation with the marriages and olena just trolling)
Baelish and Varys

I think what's going on with Sansa and Reek is working out well. Sansa currently in the book is kinda boring.

Im not against it.. . I am curious of what LF has planned for book sansa tho. I think hes waiting out the ramsay and stannis thing..

With stannis he knows hell be on his good side and given lands and titles if stannis happens to emerge and stannis gives the north back to Sansa.
With roose it could be the same situation as the show but he'll give sansa to rooses unborn son possibly. Same with
theons story. We need osha and wha that plan is

They been free lancing for awhile. 3
Things the show did right that was freelanced.
Tywin & Arya
Tywin & olena / (the entire situation with the marriages and olena just trolling)
Baelish and Varys
Also Hardhome

Also Hardhome.
I think book Baelish wants Sansa for himself.

Hardhomme technically happened in the book just different characters they just added jon snow chopping down the Walker.
and visualized what happened
Just like the Ramsay and theon stuff they never showed his torture in the book, we just heard about what happened.

Book Baelish is hard to read what he wants.
because I think he does one sansa but i think he wants power more.

I think his End game is get her in Winterfell, put a baby in her. have the baby be the heir while he is basically in command and also Warden of the north.
I think he feels like walder frey, every spit on him as lower born in a lesser house. now he's trying to climb to the thhe top and just give a big F-U to everyone

but that's also why I think he's waiting. if Stannis wins i think his plan works out better.
but if ramsay wins he can hold on to her for awhile see what happens with this dorne and Tyrell situation also.
Tyrells still initially wanted Sansa also.

Snow wasn't at Hardhomme in the book I thought? And while we all sorta knew Valyrian steel killed others, they showed it. Also Hardhomme was just a cool battle. George shoulda written it in.

Last edited:
You're both correct. Jon wasn't there in the books, you just read about what happened there from other people. The show added Jon and actually showed the battle which I'm glad they did. My favorite episode of GoT. The show has also added the Night's King. I don't think the current members of the Watch has seen him in the books. 

As far as LF goes I think he wants to rule the realm and Sansa is just a pawn to him. He loves her, but I think he loves the game more. I'm not sure how LF's plan is gonna play out. Even if he does marry Sansa, I don't think The North will follow him because he isn't a Stark. Sure Sansa is, but she would be Sansa Baelish by law. It's like the Mormonts said to Stannis "Bear Island knows no king but The King in The North and his name is Stark". 

If he does become Warden of the North then he'd control the Vale and The North and dude hasn't picked up a sword 
pimp.gif

yea WB is right with what i meant. Jon wasn't there but the letter was sent to Jon, I think it was Cotter Pike who had to go there with the 3 ships 2 provided by the iron bank of braavos.
The letter explained how they were takin them L's by the dead army. .

so that was technically canon (with the addition of Snow and nights king)

the night king stuff is interesting, was hinted at in the books but it is good to see them .

What hints specifically are you referring to? I agree I'm just curious if you're referring to obvious ones like old man's tale or more obscure stuff.

A lot of convos on Reddit and in podcasts on that Stannis and Ramsay scene.

Consensus: Neither Stannis or Ramsay have seen the body.

Debate: whether or not the emphasis on not seeing his body in that scene is because

A. the writer's are ******* with us

B. he's still alive, or

C. it's a play on the fact that they don't know what MAN did it but it wasn't a man, it was a woman.

So basically the convo we had on Monday
laugh.gif

Gotta be C.

In regards to the show what is left to be done with his story Arc ? No family or Army. He's lost faith in Melisandre and Davos is seen rallying the North in the trailer. He's gone

Debate: whether or not the emphasis on not seeing his body in that scene is because

B. he's still alive, or
C. it's a play on the fact that they don't know what MAN did it but it wasn't a man, it was a woman.

laugh.gif
Yeah, I think it has to be C. My issue was that there was definitely something going on. We can't look at the dialogue and the way the scene was shot and be sure of whether or not Stannis is alive, and they have to be very conscious of what they're doing and how it comes off at this point.

But yeah, Stannis is dead, afterward it cut to Brienne (as someone either here or the show thread mentioned), just makes sense that the emphasis was on what MAN took out Stannis. C just makes the most sense, but I can't help but feel like there's a little bit of A in there, too. No way they're oblivious to TV watcher's reaction to cut away deaths.

Last edited:

B. he's still alive, or

So basically the convo we had on Monday :lol:

has to be C, also think it's a little jab Roose is sending at Ramsey like he's incompetent and can be replaced as soon as Fat Walda gives birth to the rightful heir

Gotta be C.

In regards to the show what is left to be done with his story Arc ? No family or Army. He's lost faith in Melisandre and Davos is seen rallying the North in the trailer. He's gone
- Redeeming himself to his people/Davos.
- restoring the realm and placing a Stark back in Winterfell
- Regaining his honor after abandoning it when he burned his daughter (and debatably when he killed Renly)

Each characters story and death serves an ultimate purpose
- I can (and maybe do) agree with the argument that his story/death was solely to discredit, discourage and dishearten Mel since Thoros of Myre explained he was at his lowest point and no longer believed when he resurrected Berric but I don't think the two purposes/directions have to be mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
[thread="333173"]Spoilers Asoiaf Books Discussion All Books Read Edition Spoilers/2840_20#post_25681743​[/thread]

B. he's still alive, or

laugh.gif
Yeah, I think it has to be C. My issue was that there was definitely something going on. We can't look at the dialogue and the way the scene was shot and be sure of whether or not Stannis is alive, and they have to be very conscious of what they're doing and how it comes off at this point.

But yeah, Stannis is dead, afterward it cut to Brienne (as someone either here or the show thread mentioned), just makes sense that the emphasis was on what MAN took out Stannis. C just makes the most sense, but I can't help but feel like there's a little bit of A in there, too. No way they're oblivious to TV watcher's reaction to cut away deaths.
I agree that the framing and dialogue was intentional. The show runners were definitely hinting/winking at something. But after, it didn't cut to Brienne... It cut to Sansa and Theon. We didn't see Brienne ride in til a few minutes later.

Contrast that to when Maester Aemon said "A Targeryan alone in the world is a terrible thing" and before he'd even finished the sentence the camera cut to Jon entering the room and the camera lingers on him giving Aemon and Sam the "were you guys just talking about me?" face.

Last edited:
- Redeeming himself to his people/Davos.

- restoring the realm and placing a Stark back in Winterfell

- Regaining his honor after abandoning it when he burned his daughter (and debatably when he killed Renly)

Each characters story and death serves an ultimate purpose

- I can (and maybe do) agree with the argument that his story/death was solely to discredit, discourage and dishearten Mel since Thoros of Myre explained he was at his lowest point and no longer believed when he resurrected Berric but I don't think the two purposes/directions have to be mutually exclusive.

Valid points. I just don't see where the show will find time to put all of that in. First episode was packed an we didn't even see they Greyjoys or Bran. No to mention the real fight with the Others is going to ramp up soon ..

[thread="333173"]Spoilers Asoiaf Books Discussion All Books Read Edition Spoilers/2840_20#post_25681743​[/thread]

B. he's still alive, or

laugh.gif

I agree that the framing and dialogue was intentional. The show runners were definitely hinting/winking at something. But after, it didn't cut to Brienne... It cut to Sansa and Theon. We didn't see Brienne ride in til a few minutes later.

Contrast that to when Maester Aemon said "A Targeryan alone in the world is a terrible thing" and before he'd even finished the sentence the camera cut to Jon entering the room and the camera lingers on him giving Aemon and Sam the "were you guys just talking about me?" face.
All good points. It would have definitely been more heavy handed if that's where they were going.

I do think there's some credence to that leading into Brienne saving the day, though. I mean, one of the Power Ranger putty dudes actually exclaim 'It's a bloody woman' before she obliterates him. It doesn't hit you over the head the way the Jon scene does, but there's a lot there to be strung together to make sense of their true intentions.

Bottom line is that dude is dead, though. I think we can all (other than Tdogg) agree.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
It's looking more and more that way, yes. But I still want actual confirmation. No one but Brienne has seen him dead. Everyone else is like "Wait, what? I thought YOU killed him? You mean you didn't see what happened either?"

At least when Brienne "killed" the Hound, Arya went down to check the body.

I said that the convo was about who killed Stannis instead of is Stannis dead from the jump. 

But a body confirmation would be nice.
laugh.gif

It's looking more and more that way, yes. But I still want actual confirmation. No one but Brienne has seen him dead. Everyone else is like "Wait, what? I thought YOU killed him? You mean you didn't see what happened either?"

At least when Brienne "killed" the Hound, Arya went down to check the body.
I mean even in that scenario its about who killed him. "I thought you killed him" would imply there's a corpse just nobody saw who made it. 

my only argument over the last 2 days was why yall ride so hard stannis dead, but when Jon comes up. yall always like hes coming back and act like he never got killed at all

Not trying to spoil anything but looks like episode 3 we might get something regarding the Tower of Joy. The preview for it says that Bran explores the past.

Back
Top Bottom