SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
Yeah SM2 is GOAT then comes ASM...the way I see it, Tobey was a perfect Peter, Garfield IS SpiderMan, dude portraid Spidey as if he was peeled out of the magazine :pimp:

STRAIGHT OUT THE COMIC! I mean it truly is amazing. Spiderman 2 is a good film, was a GREAT film in 2004 but looking back it's not that great as people make it out to be. The super genius failing school? Ok..
Dude with super powers having girl trouble...oookayyy
Taking J.Jonah Jameson serious? Since when?
Delivering Pizza's, Powers fading cause he wasn't mentally wanting to be spider man blah blah blah blah

Best part of the movies were the fight scenes with Doc Ock and the subway scene is so corny/cringe worthy. I mean what was the purpose of them crowd surfing Peter :stoneface:

Don't get me started on Kirsten Dunst, the whole trilogy she calls Peter tiger like one time :stoneface: she's not even hot...

I can ramble on forever and the fact that I was once obsessed with the Raimi trilogy speaks volumes for me. I'm just waiting for ASM 2 to convince you guys

SM2 is still a great film today, it really stands up well to me.

A genius failing school isn't far fetch when distracted and busy saving the city, yeah you miss reading a few books and studying when you are rescuing people every time. He isn't Meteor Man who can just hold a book and absorb everything in there. :lol:

A dude with super powers not being able to get girls is your problem? So what is he suppose to do, just lift cars over his head every time MJ is around? Squirt some of that web from his wrist to her eyes and that'll make her fall in love with him? :lol:

J Jonah Jamison casting was perfect, dude looked exactly like how he looks in the comics and nobody was taking him seriously.

And you don't get the inner struggle of wanting to be normal with a normal social life (being with the girl you love) versus being super and saving people having no social life?

I mean seriously, it really has to be explained why the people in the train carried Peter inside the train? You want them to just let him fall after he saved their life? Just leave him there on the edge of the train? And talk about corny, how about all the New Yorkers getting together up in arms to help Spidey? That was one of the worst and corniest scenes I have ever seen in my life. Like really, the contrustion workers had to line-up their rigs so Spidey could swing from place to the other faster? :rofl:

And say what you will about Dunst now, she was "hot" back then and everyone wanted to hit that upside down after she got all wet for SM1.

I mean you are already putting ASM2 on a pedestal before seeing it, wanting people to wait and see so that people become believers when you have no idea what happens in the film. :lol: Just ridiculous, watch it be SM3 status. :rofl:

Tobys Spidey still had jokes. he was just more subtle. I still stand by that Toby looked nerdy and all while Garfield looks like a cool hipster, it's almost hard to see why he is picked on while I wanted to bully Toby myself.

Last edited:
Convince us of what?

I loved ASM, and am hype for ASM2, I could care less if they do or don't connect with the Raimi versions, I can view them on their own, same as Burton 89 Batman, and Nolan's Begins.

Spiderman 2 was very, very solid, even for 2004, now in 2014. I already said, it was more CGIey than I remembered, but that doesn't take away from the heart and feel of the movie.

And to dismiss the abuse Peter Parker took in that movie is just plain silly. :smh:

That kid had it rough, he couldn't even fix his crappy bike when the tire went rollin out his window into the street. :lol:

He had one suit, and a Spidey suit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

^^ yes the crane scene is extremely corny in ASM, I'll admit. But the train scene is cornier. Nothing will touch dancing Tobey, I think we can both agree on that. Tobey was too dorky IMO. Peter Parker has some type charm to him, that's why he had all the ladies. Garfield fits that mold. He also looks like quick witted ashole which also fits the mold.

Peter doesn't have that hipster, I'm a cool guy charm, he has that dorky charm and he is a nerd of all nerds. He was always bullied but Flash Thompson, a jock.

Just take this as an example, in SM1, Peter was a total loser that the bus left him and even though the driver sees him chasing he still wouldn't stop and just laughed. When he got on the bus, no one even wanted to sit with him, even the other nerds and losers on the bus. It wasn't until he got bit by the spider that Pete started to defend himself, hell he was actually only forced to do so when he was cornered.

In ASM1, Garfield actually stands up to the bully and defends another nerd that was being picked on. That alone says he is less of a loser, just an outcast of sorts. I mean this translates to being a hero as well, he already has the desire to defend weak ones, powers just allowed him to do so while Tobys kind of had to develop and even struggled in SM2 if it's a normal life or a life fo a hero is what he wants. Keep in mind that all Peter really wanted was to be popular and have a girls and that is why he tried to wrestle and win money to get a car, it wasn't until the death of his uncle that changed his point of view. Tobys version is definitely more accurate in regard to being a nerd.

On being a science dude, Garfield definitely has the upper hand by making his web shooters and breaking into labs by deciphering complicated algorithms from a distance.

Peter Parker isn't a quick witted a-hole, quick witter yeah but not an a-hole unless of course the symbiote takes over.

Again Toby had his little jokes that takes a jab at his enemies, Garfield version just intensifies it and makes it more in your face. Garfield is definitely more a wisecracker but Toby was ok, definitely could have been better. Neither were as good as the cartoon version though that actually p*ssed his enemies off by his wisecracking jokes.

Both have their pluses and minuses but you simply cannot ignore Tobys version because it has it's moments and are better in some regards to Garfields.

No one is even defending SM3 so why keep bringing it up in a discussion between SM2 vs. ASM1?

Peter doesn't have that hipster, I'm a cool guy charm, he has that dorky charm and he is a nerd of all nerds. He was always bullied but Flash Thompson, a jock.

Just take this as an example, in SM1, Peter was a total loser that the bus left him and even though the driver sees him chasing he still wouldn't stop and just laughed. When he got on the bus, no one even wanted to sit with him, even the other nerds and losers on the bus. It wasn't until he got bit by the spider that Pete started to defend himself, hell he was actually only forced to do so when he was cornered.

In ASM1, Garfield actually stands up to the bully and defends another nerd that was being picked on. That alone says he is less of a loser, just an outcast of sorts. I mean this translates to being a hero as well, he already has the desire to defend weak ones, powers just allowed him to do so while Tobys kind of had to develop and even struggled in SM2 if it's a normal life or a life fo a hero is what he wants. Keep in mind that all Peter really wanted was to be popular and have a girls and that is why he tried to wrestle and win money to get a car, it wasn't until the death of his uncle that changed his point of view. Tobys version is definitely more accurate in regard to being a nerd.

On being a science dude, Garfield definitely has the upper hand by making his web shooters and breaking into labs by deciphering complicated algorithms from a distance.

Peter Parker isn't a quick witted a-hole, quick witter yeah but not an a-hole unless of course the symbiote takes over.

Again Toby had his little jokes that takes a jab at his enemies, Garfield version just intensifies it and makes it more in your face. Garfield is definitely more a wisecracker but Toby was ok, definitely could have been better. Neither were as good as the cartoon version though that actually p*ssed his enemies off by his wisecracking jokes.

Both have their pluses and minuses but you simply cannot ignore Tobys version because it has it's moments and are better in some regards to Garfields.

No one is even defending SM3 so why keep bringing it up in a discussion between SM2 vs. ASM1?

You have to update things. Hipster is the new nerd breh. And in the comics, Flash never truly bullied Peter, just ripped on him all the time. He's more of an outcast, than the stereotypical nerd. While Tobey gave a great portrayal, Maguire is more in line IMO.

Last edited:
Hipsters are not the new nerd, I mean I've been out of high school for a while but the super smart, skateboarding hipster whose quick witted are like borderline cool.

I mean come on, in a day and age where Big Bang Theory is the biggest show and Comic-Con gets bigger and bigger every year and get more coverage, you see more nerds looking like Toby more than Garfield, only thing missing is the cosplay.

Tobys Spidey also got the famous speech "with great power comes great responsibility' which I thought they really should have included in ASM1 so that's another point for Tobys version.

Last edited:
Hipsters are not the new nerd, I mean I've been out of high school for a while but the super smart, skateboarding hipster whose quick witted are like borderline cool.

I mean come on, in a day and age where Big Bang Theory is the biggest show and Comic-Con gets bigger and bigger every year and get more coverage, you see more nerds looking like Toby more than Garfield, only thing missing is the cosplay.

Peter was never the stereotypical nerd we think of, he was just an outcast. I guess I should've said that the nerdy look has been updated because what society thinks a nerd and a hipster look like to me is the same thing.

Last edited:
Peter was a stereotypical nerd before he got his powers for sure, it wasn't until after that he become more confident and overall stood up for himself. Garfields version was already on that level just w/o powers. I'd say he was considered more of an outcast when he got his powers and less of a nerd.

And yeah, nerds and geeks are somewhat cool but in a different sense and a different setting. I'd imagine nerds still gets picked on in school like Peter would while as an adult, you get more respect but still looked at as weird and unusual.

Y'all are trippin, ASM was meh. Nowhere near as good as SM2.
Basically, that's all that needs to be said.

I still don't know what ASM was trying to do cuz it really didn't convey a completel story. Real choppy. I barely remember Ben's death, no feels at all. Really seemed it went from get his powers to get his powers, messing with Gwen, fight a lame villain, somebody dies, corny ending with construction workers. Outside of action, visuals and Garfield's Spidey the movie isn't that good.

Eh, just personal preference I guess. Garfield just looks too cool to be picked on to me, Toby just looks like a nerd. I also liked his body actually transformed but still looked like a geek once he got dressed.

Peter was a stereotypical nerd before he got his powers for sure, it wasn't until after that he become more confident and overall stood up for himself. Garfields version was already on that level just w/o powers. I'd say he was considered more of an outcast when he got his powers and less of a nerd.

And yeah, nerds and geeks are somewhat cool but in a different sense and a different setting. I'd imagine nerds still gets picked on in school like Peter would while as an adult, you get more respect but still looked at as weird and unusual.

Idk, we may be coming from different source materials. From the start, Peter was a dude that just had bad luck. Yeah he was smart, into his studies, but I just never pictured him as the nerd we typically think of. He seemed to have the same personality before and after his powers IMO.

Last edited:

Peter was never the stereotypical nerd we think of, he was just an outcast. I guess I should've said that the nerdy look has been updated because what society thinks a nerd and a hipster look like to me is the same thing.

Looks more like Hypebeast than hipsters to me since they are trying to emulate the nerd look to look "cool" today, not the other way around.

That isn't really "hipster is the new nerd" either, if hypebeasts looks like nerd today because they think it's cool, that wasn't what Garfield was trying to convey at all. That's be like calling Wetsbrook a nerd with his fits and fake urkel glasses, he simply isn't, I'm not sure I'd call him a hipster either.

Yeah. I don't like Garfield as peter. He's too cool. Maybe it's how people perceive the character, but I think that Parker should be dorky not a cool loner. Like nothing about asm was better than sm1-2. I don't get the love for it.

Sm2 kinda hit me in the feels. You had to feel bad for peter. His life was terrible. Something you don't see too often with heroes aside from broody batman.

Last edited:
Even Batman got poon and lived in a big mansion and drove nice cars and lived with a butler. Bruce Wayne was still living the life even though dude has mental problems of his own.

Peter lived on a crappy studio apartment with no money and no social life. Both of his persona was going to crap in SM2, he was struggling on the inside and the outside.

Looks more like Hypebeast than hipsters to me since they are trying to emulate the nerd look to look "cool" today, not the other way around.

That isn't really "hipster is the new nerd" either, if hypebeasts looks like nerd today because they think it's cool, that wasn't what Garfield was trying to convey at all. That's be like calling Wetsbrook a nerd with his fits and fake urkel glasses, he simply isn't, I'm not sure I'd call him a hipster either.

They both look the same to me. Only difference is that our opinion on nerds have changed. I don't see too many short, suspender wearing kids with extra large glasses with braces out there compared to kids who look like Garfield.

Last edited:
Even Batman got poon and lived in a big mansion and drove nice cars and lived with a butler. Bruce Wayne was still living the life even though dude has mental problems of his own.

Peter lived on a crappy studio apartment with no money and no social life. Both of his persona was going to crap in SM2, he was struggling on the inside and the outside.

His sociallife was wrapped around the overly emotional MJ. :rolleyes

To say Garfield was a "bad petter but good Spider-Man" is a joke. Who can't be a "good Spider-Man"? From that point on it's up the director.

And for the record, Peter is a social awkward nerd. Even his cheese one liners during the fight is an attempt to sound cool but isn't really. Just my thought

Of course they look the same, it's a pic photoshopped to look old or updated to look new or whatever.

Again to me, that is hypebeasty, trying to do a trend of fashion.

Nerds are what you see in comic con these days, likely out of shape dudes, wearing shorts or jeans and some superhero tee and you can tell they do not care how they look. That is the typical nerd of today, not dudes with fake urkel glasses with shorts shorts and bright shirts with a big chain and a fedora or beanie. The big glasses with suspenders is an extreme look of course and use for comedic relief, it isn't exactly what a nerd looks like.

Garfield was well put together as Peter while Toby wasn't a slob, it's just how they look as in their face. Garfield is just that dude that looks that chicks would go out with even if he is a giant douche, Toby looks like a damn geek. :lol: And dude skated so obviously he was at least active, nerds aren't exactly active like that, they'd be pale from staying indoors too much playing WoW. :rofl:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom