Starting a Basketball League- Insurance

Hi everyone. I am planning to start a basketball league and one of the main obstacles is getting insurance. Does anyone have any experience in doing so? Any particular companies I should look into? Anything important that I should really know about before getting it? Any help is appreciated.

if you are going to do it at a gym, ask who runs the gym they should know, that or start calling up random insurance agencies

You could research other leagues in the area and see what procedures they follow or try to contact one of the owners and see if they can shed some light. I thought you would be able to have participants sign waivers not holding you are the facilities responsible for any injuries.

You could research other leagues in the area and see what procedures they follow or try to contact one of the owners and see if they can shed some light. I thought you would be able to have participants sign waivers not holding you are the facilities responsible for any injuries.

it depends on what gym you go to, some do that, others you pay

This gym requires insurance for the league. 

Me and my boy were trying to start our own league too.  Unless you own a gym or have a really good hook up its not even worth it.  Most Gyms run their own leagues and they'll either say no you cant do it or you'll being paying way more then you could even make.  As far as the Insurance goes most cover that for you with the rental. Where are you located OP? 

Me and my boy were trying to start our own league too.  Unless you own a gym or have a really good hook up its not even worth it.  Most Gyms run their own leagues and they'll either say no you cant do it or you'll being paying way more then you could even make.  As far as the Insurance goes most cover that for you with the rental. Where are you located OP? 
New Jersey. Our rate is good since we have a hookup, so making money isn't the issue. Just trying to put together a legit league with some high level competition.

you DEF need insurance.

i know some guys who have worked some leagues where the players started fighting and a ref got punched lost some teeth and got paid 900k...

thats why i dont mess with mens leagues anymore but shhhhh for $900k you can kick me!

OP i'll ask some guys who i know run leagues and get you an answer by the end of the week.

if you need a sooner answer PM me and i'll get on it!

Did you ever find insurance? And if so, with who? I am also trying to find league insurance..Thanks

you DEF need insurance.
i know some guys who have worked some leagues where the players started fighting and a ref got punched lost some teeth and got paid 900k...
thats why i dont mess with mens leagues anymore but shhhhh for $900k you can kick me!
OP i'll ask some guys who i know run leagues and get you an answer by the end of the week.
if you need a sooner answer PM me and i'll get on it!
Thats part of the reason I stopped playing.  Guys go out there thinking its the pros and get too emotional about a stupid league game once every tuesday.  People throwing elbows, fights, guys fouling hard because they are frustrated. Its just no good and eventually I felt like I was gonna get hurt.  

GL with your league though!

Yo!

I am a commercial insurance broker in FL, and have several connects.

Feel free to PM me if you are searching for General Liability quotes.

Ask the owner of the gym what kind of insurance he is requiring you to have in order to host the league.  It is most likely $1,000,000 in general liability.

HMU w/ any questions famb.

Back
Top Bottom