STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Fade to black.

Bench press is a great excercise, great way to measure upper body brute strength. Definitely a fundamental excercise, by overrated, BIGBOSS hit the nail on the head. Every novice to bro thinks it's "THE" excercise, which IMO, it isn't. Again, that's my opinion.

To me back squat is the "THE" excercise, the legs are the foundation of your entire body, unfortunately it is ignored by the masses.

Crossfit will forever get knocked by the BB community, because it goes against everything the BB community has been feeding to those interested in getting fit. It goes against the grain in many ways and it has definitely rustled some jimmies. It does get beginners excited and when people are excited about something they tend to talk about it (*sometimes overly brag about it), which annoys the **** out of a lot of people. Frankly, outside of this board, I rarely talk about Crossfit, and the only time I give my two cents here is to kill misconceptions regarding Crossfit, because there are many of those as well.

I think the 5x5 program is awesome, and still incorporate it into some of my programming. I also like PPL, simply because if you work out six days a week, you get to hit your legs twice.

I have never paid to work out at a Crossfit box...

Like most people post college, I stopped working out consistently at age 26-27. I would go to the gym maybe once or twice, if I was lucky maybe around three times a week. I would do body part routines (Chest/Tris; Back/Bis; Legs, etc). Around 2009-2010 I hit a couple of boxes to do their free trials, loved it, it was challenging and it quenched a competitive need (corny but true). However, couldn't afford the monthly cost so didn't stay with it. Very inconsistent workouts remained. Mid 2012, I got back to the gym again, consistently. Started with 5x5, gained strength and muscle, around the holidays stopped working out :smile:{). January 2013, weighed in at an unhealthy 260, most didn't believe it, guess I carried it well :smile:{... :lol:).

I hate cardio, and gathering the guys for games of basketball was a practice in futility and a major source of frustration. I hate running (*shrugs).

A couple of friends and I invested in oly bars, bumper plates, pull up bars, rings and started doing CF workouts. Started with doing HQ workouts (HQ = direct from the CF website). Cardio improved, weight started dropping, gains were had. Strength wise, numbers improved on Squats, DL's, Box Squats and Front Squats. Killing PR's (PR's = Personal Records aka Max). At the same time I was working on lifts that I knew about but neve thought of doing: Ring Dips, Hang Snatch, Snatch, Power Snatch, Overhead Squat, Handstand Push Ups, etc. I was doing lifts I hadn't done since I played football in HS: Shoulder Press, Hang Clean, Power Cleans. Programming from HQ became easy, good for beginners or those wanting to excercise but not great for those that want to improve their results/PR's or maybe even compete. MetCons and complexes are the norm now along workouts inspired by those that compete professionally.

Going to a box and doing a "WOD" will not get you here:

Programming has to evolve with the goals you want to reach.

I do my own programming, with input from my "lift partners". Love coming up with WOD's and Strength routines.
What the general public believes to be the ultimate lift.
The one that works for you and the goals. If you want the biggest chest in the world, then by all means, bench press away.
Who's the guy in the third picture?

Metabolic conditioning is great though - regardless of whether you do it under the Crossfit label or not. I think the real issue is that Crossfit marketing is very polarizing. Some people go for it hook, line, and sinker, while others are quite resistant to it. The polarizing aspect of it creates a big divide. Fact of the matter is that pretty much no one adopts the most efficient and effective approach to fitness out there. Everyone posting in this thread does stuff that isn't ideal from a scientific standpoint. I think a lot of the arguments that happen in this thread result out of insecurity. People aren't fully secure in their own programming and where their own lifts are, so they go out and attack other people's approaches. This isn't directed to anyone in particular, but it's a macro theme I've noticed.

Chest is what I am focusing on most. I have had no problems growing my shoulders, back, arms and legs but for some reason i feel like my chest was not growing at the same rate. So i am focusing on it. just finished my last set of 5x5 bench at 260 today and my last set of incline at 210. my goal is to get to 275 for my last rep of bench and 225 for my last rep of incline. I prob do 6 different chest exercises each session and I feel like it has been working wonders. I do feel like bench is important but dont forget the squeezing exercises. im 5'10 185 if that matters 
I'm confused. If you can hit 5x5 at 260 on bench, you shouldn't have any issues getting 275 for 5, let alone for one rep.

Almost done with 3rd week post op.

Haven't been to the gym since the surgery. Right quad has shrunk but my rehab is picking up steam. Meanwhile I've been improvising with bands.

Had a great back workout. Decided to make t-bar rows my 2nd exercise and was able to get 4 plates. Afterwards I try something new and did a triple superset overhand rows - underhand rows - one arm dumbbell row. It was tough but felt good.

Inb4

20lb wide grip pull down and cat food

@cornball

Ps I like crossfit, I incorporate WODs but Rich Froning is probably one of the biggest douchebag/ drake type people in the works.

Last edited:
Fellas, I do a routine that includes deadlifts and squats and feel like after deadlifts, my body needs more time to recover. I don't want to eliminate deadlifts from my workout though.

So, here is what my routine generally looks like:

1st Day on:
Bench Press - 3x 8-12 reps - 185lbs
Close grip press - 3 x 8-12 reps - 145lbs
Incline dumbell press - 3 x 8-12 reps - 65lbs
military dumbell press 3x8-12 - 60 lbs
Cable Flys - 3x 8-12 -70lbs
Push Downs - 3x 8-12 70 lbs

2nd Day on:
Deadlifts - 3 sets of 5-8reps - 225 - 275 lbs (My max would be around 2 reps at 300lbs)
Pull Downs - 3 x 8-12 reps - 150 lbs
Rows - 3x 8-12 reps - 125 lbs
Barbell Curls - 3x8-12- 90lbs
Dumbell Curls 3x 8-12 -50 lbs

3rd Day on:
Squats - 3 sets of 8-12reps - 225-275lbs
Leg Curls for the hammys - 3x8-12 reps- 70lbs
Toe raises - 3x8-12-180 lbs
Barbell Curls - 3x8-12 - 90 lbs
Push Downs - 3x8-12 - 70 lbs

4th Day off:

What do ya'll think? Is my volume too high? Should I do deadlifts every other week.

I hit deads and squats in the same week but I space them atleast two days apart, **** is hell on your CNS when you lifting at your max

i do squats and deadlifts in the same day and most of the time in the 80%-95% of 1rm range(jonnie candito program). was tough in the beginning but not a big deal now. just make sure to take however long you need to inbetween sets.

Last edited:
Anyone have any good info on skin tightening cream.SRS. And has actually used them? Went from 220to 127 in 4 months.ANY help would be highly appreciated

The flat barbell bench press is actually, as far as purely building your chest goes, inadequate. Dumbbell is the better option, even better yet is incline dumbbell press. Having a larger upper chest creates an illusion of a bigger overall chest. Keep the bench angle at 30-45° to help minimize shoulder stress and stimulation.
(Advice from 19 year old bodybuilder, 5ft9 193lbs.)

In my opinion every chest day should contain a base of flat, incline, and decline bench exercises; you cannot substitute any one for the other. Now whether you want to use barbells or dumbbells is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
  • Day 1 Chest, back (Morning) Thighs, calves, abs (Evening)
  • Day 2 Shoulders, arms (Morning) Calves, abs (Evening)
  • Day 3 Chest, back (Morning) Thighs, calves, abs (Evening)
  • Day 4 Shoulders, arms (Morning) Calves, abs (Evening)
  • Day 5 Chest, back (Morning) Thighs, calves, abs (Evening)
  • Day 6 Shoulders, arms (Morning) Calves, abs (Evening)
  • Day 7 Rest
Why arnold do da calves errrr day?  and abs errr day?

Because in the beginning of Arnold's career he had ZERO calves.

Took a lot of his pics in the water.

Back
Top Bottom