STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Anyone here run frequently during the week while also doing heavy squats?

I want to get back into soccer shape. I've run 3 times this week (one mile twice, 2 miles once) while maintaining my squat routine , and damn, walking has been uncomfortable these last few days :lol: Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to the pain, cause the distances have been pretty light, yet I still feel sore as hell.

Last edited:
yo ekin whats your total looking like? Nice to see more people on here interested in PLing. :smokin

Last edited:
I dont about all. But the IPF is 10mm and rather just be safe and get that then be dq'd for 3mm haha and the wait is ridiculous.

Funny you mentioned dan green. I was able to attend a seminar put on by him recently and learned alot. Really humble guy and you better believe he is a monster with the weights. Debating on joining his gym too, its local so might hit it up.
Yeah the meet im looking at here in NC is USAPL so hopefully I read their rules right.

I saw on IG he just had a seminar, I bet it was awesome. Was that the one Brandon Lilly was supposed to come to? I couldnt imagine how strong he is much less lift in the same gym as him.

@jecca650  the world would be a better place if more of us were into powerlifting lol 

Last edited:

I want to get back into soccer shape. I've run 3 times this week (one mile twice, 2 miles once) while maintaining my squat routine , and damn, walking has been uncomfortable these last few days
laugh.gif
Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to the pain, cause the distances have been pretty light, yet I still feel sore as hell.
I do. 

Im always sore the next couple of days after heavy squatting but thats just the nature of this game. I would suggest investing in a foam roller, it works wonders.

This is my first time stepping foot into this thread. When it comes to working out, I feel like a stoner who decides to show up to class for the first time 4 weeks into the semester. There's just so much information to look into just to make sure that you're maximizing your efforts before even picking up a dumbbell. I tend to get overwhelmed, then eventually lose motivation :lol: :smh:.

This time, I'm trying to simplify things. Before entering the gym, I've just been doing some pull ups / crunches / dips / push ups & simple dumbbell exercises in my house. Tomorrow, I'll pick up a weekly meal planner dry erase board so I can get into the habit of eating 3 or more healthy meals everyday (building consistency). I have a NutriBullet thats been collecting dust since it was bought so I'm hoping to make use of that too. I'm a rather skinny dude, not even sure if I'm what they call a "hardgainer" but since my goal is to add weight, that's the guidance I've sought out online.

I guess my reason for coming in here was to see any personal experience from skinny guys on what worked for them or any quick tips to help get things started. :nerd:

In about a week or so I want to get back into the gym and start this 90 day series of routines I found in Men's Health magazine. Figured I'd give it a shot since nothing previously had worked for me.

A+ theread

BIGBOSS - hell yeah

This is my first time stepping foot into this thread. When it comes to working out, I feel like a stoner who decides to show up to class for the first time 4 weeks into the semester. There's just so much information to look into just to make sure that you're maximizing your efforts before even picking up a dumbbell. I tend to get overwhelmed, then eventually lose motivation :lol: :smh:.

This time, I'm trying to simplify things. Before entering the gym, I've just been doing some pull ups / crunches / dips / push ups & simple dumbbell exercises in my house. Tomorrow, I'll pick up a weekly meal planner dry erase board so I can get into the habit of eating 3 or more healthy meals everyday (building consistency). I have a NutriBullet thats been collecting dust since it was bought so I'm hoping to make use of that too. I'm a rather skinny dude, not even sure if I'm what they call a "hardgainer" but since my goal is to add weight, that's the guidance I've sought out online.

I guess my reason for coming in here was to see any personal experience from skinny guys on what worked for them or any quick tips to help get things started. :nerd:

In about a week or so I want to get back into the gym and start this 90 day series of routines I found in Men's Health magazine. Figured I'd give it a shot since nothing previously had worked for me.

A+ theread

the best beginner intro video ive seen so far. jason blaha sums it up nicely.

Last edited:

I want to get back into soccer shape. I've run 3 times this week (one mile twice, 2 miles once) while maintaining my squat routine , and damn, walking has been uncomfortable these last few days :lol: Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to the pain, cause the distances have been pretty light, yet I still feel sore as hell.
That's not too much running, so you should be fine shortly. I do Wednesday morning and Friday morning running workouts, which definitely set my lifting back a little. But it gets much easier with time. Make sure you're eating properly, doing mobility work, and getting your rest in. Insert the old adage about there being no such thing as overtraining.

A+ theread
I understand where you're coming from in terms of coping with the onslaught of new information and lifestyle changes. You don't have to make all the changes right at once. Figure out the easiest significant step and tackle that - perhaps it means getting started on a beginner lifting routine like Starting Strength, maybe it's just getting comfortable at the gym. Get that handled for a week. Then the next week, get your food prep skills down. Once those are handled, start worrying about setting your macros and hitting them. It doesn't have to be an instantaneous 90-day shift. I think a big issue with these 90-day spurts recommended by Men's Health and BB.com is that they don't breed consistency and habit individuals. Rather they pile on a bunch of complex stuff that aren't sustainable. Their plans are generally oriented towards selling products too, so take that with a grain of salt.

BIGBOSS - hell yeah
the best beginner intro video ive seen so far. jason blaha sums it up nicely.

Jason Blaha's appearance rustles my jmmies. Will not watch.

^ I figured it out. It's dude's posture. He's a big enough dude he should be sitting up straight and flaring the muscles - not hunching his shoulders in like a beta.
Kanevsky >>>> Blaha

haha i think all those years of playing warcraft or whatever he played while he was disabled has !@#$ed up his posture :lol:

Last edited:
Here is the rules for IPF that I found. 

http://www.squidoo.com/IPF-Powerlifting-Rules

Ya looks like youre good. Maybe I misinterpreted it. Lol still good either way.

yo ekin whats your total looking like? Nice to see more people on here interested in PLing. :smokin

honestly I havent tried to pr in my squat or bench as of yet. But might try my squat tomorrow. If I do ill post it up.

And definitely good to see some like minded lifters in here

Thanks fellas for the quick responses. And yea, I'm aiming to take what should become a lifestyle change one step at a time. This routine I'm going to attempt doesn't get too involved, as far as telling me what nutrients and supplements I "should" be taking; and I like that, it's rather simple, just tells me what to do. I'll take care of the other stuff in due time.

And nah, this isn't a new year's resolution phase, just happens to be the start of the year & that I have that itch again to treat my body right. I'm tired of seeing a slab of nothing in the mirror lol.

Ya looks like youre good. Maybe I misinterpreted it. Lol still good either way.
honestly I havent tried to pr in my squat or bench as of yet. But might try my squat tomorrow. If I do ill post it up.

And definitely good to see some like minded lifters in here
Who would win in a pose off - you or Jason Genova?

i dont know if it's just me but...
whenever i do back squats, the day or 2 after my lower back is also sore as if i was doing DL.
i usually go heavy. i know there is some core power involved with back squats but is my lower back supposed to be sore too?

my lower back doesn't hurt after squats but i do strictly high bar. not sure if low bar squats recruit your lower back

Why do Crossfitters insist on doing their WOD's shirtless? I live near a CF box and it's damn near freezing out and pouring rain and these minions are running around the block shirts off looking like they want to die.

LMAO THEY PROB WANNA SHOW PPL HOW MANLY THEY ARE.

LISTEN WHEN I DO MY BACKYARD WOD AND CARDIO ON DA MOUNTAIN I RUN SHIRTLESS.

AND IM LIKE +20%BF

Why do Crossfitters insist on doing their WOD's shirtless? I live near a CF box and it's damn near freezing out and pouring rain and these minions are running around the block shirts off looking like they want to die.
Why do you care what they're doing though? You miring their physiques? Little bit jealous?

If it's anywhere above 30 degrees and I gotta run outside, shirt's not necessary. Especially if it's rainy.

Back
Top Bottom