STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

So, I tried to incorporate the feedback I got. I think my form got a little better but I think it might still need work.

I tried to not sit down as much so I use less of my quads and more of my hamstrings. I tried to dig my "wings"(whatever they're called) in to my pockets to squeeze the lats. From what I can see, it seems like my back is rounded on my last two reps. I did forget to cue flexing my hip flexors. I might have flexed them but I didn't actively think in my head "ok flex hip flexors"

Your lower back started rounding out pretty much from the jump. Make sure your core is tight, lats are engaged and you're pushing the ground with your heels. Also, you shouldn't be looking up. Your spine should be in a neutral position like this (image on the right), so when you're at the top of the movement you will be looking straight ahead.

Last edited:
Haven't been to the gym all week man.  Got sick last week thursday, and haven't lifted a single weight, or had an appetite.

I weighed in this morning and lost 3lbs.  I feel like I'm wasting away...
roll.gif

Can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow.  Get back to these gains

So, I tried to incorporate the feedback I got. I think my form got a little better but I think it might still need work.

I tried to not sit down as much so I use less of my quads and more of my hamstrings. I tried to dig my "wings"(whatever they're called) in to my pockets to squeeze the lats. From what I can see, it seems like my back is rounded on my last two reps. I did forget to cue flexing my hip flexors. I might have flexed them but I didn't actively think in my head "ok flex hip flexors"

There are better ways to work your hamstrings without ruining your back if you are going to round your back on deadlifts to use more of your hamstrings.

Get your butt down in your starting position.

Or you could do stiff legged deadlifts with proper form and that should work your hamstrings more.

Last edited:
I breathe in, and flex my abs before I deadlift. I haven't done regular DLs recently, but that's how I used to do it. I still do that when I do RDLs.

Gotta stop thinking about exercises in relation to muscles. The body doesnt function that way.

Can you clarify?

Sort of like when people just assume the bench press is just a chest excercise? Like "if I do a bench press my chest will grow"? When the chest isn't really "pushing" or pressing but actually helping to bring the weight inward?

Gotta stop thinking about exercises in relation to muscles. The body doesnt function that way.
Gotta start explaining more when you post, I want to learn more everyday so I can train to be the best.

Last edited:
I don't think doing Romanian deadlifts is his intention. He just wants to do regular deads. But feedback he got from his last video was to put the hips higher to use the hams more.

What I said about RDLs can apply as well... What I do keeps my back straight. Like I said, that's part of the process I used to prepare for regular DLs.

I'm doing Rippetoe's so I think I want to do a standard DL. Not sure the difference between RDL and DL but it seems like RDL are supposed to target your hamstrings more opposed to the DL which targets quads more. I'm pretty sure my back is straight because when I didn't keep a stiff back I always felt like my lower back was about to explode after my set. I know it looks like it's rounded at the bottom but I think its because of the slightly baggy top and its over my ***. I will tuck my shirt in next times so its clear if my back is rounded or not. Will also try to straighten out the back if it isn't.

Also, what muscles are being used at the very bottom of a squat(past parallel). A quick search says that people are weakest at the bottom of the squat because of tight hip flexors. I was "squatting" 305 until I realized, my DL couldn't match my squat. Found out I wasn't going down all the way down, probably parallel or a little above, so I reset weight and today I am at 255. The hard part for me is when I go down past parallel, and coming up until parallel. It is always slow towards the beginning of the rise, but once I hit parallel, it speeds up and is pretty easy.

Greater emphasis on gluten, and hams past parallel.

I never said to do RDLs over regular DLs. However, to keep your back straight, the same method can be used.

Some of you are assuming that I'm saying to do RDLs over regular DLs which isn't the case. I don't do regular DLs anymore, but I have done it with the method I described for keeping your back straight.

So you single digits body fat?

Nah. About 15-17.

oh...i was asking because you said the last little bit of belly fat you have is the lower piece, made it sound like you were shredded for the most part. 17%? you can still stand to lose quite a bit. Get down to about 9 and you'll be a new man. And the best part is, 9 is easy (generally speaking) to maintain year round without much hassle.

great job on the weight lose though bud. keep up the good work.

Leg day today. Going to do lighter on the weight. Went heavy the last couple of weeks, and I noticed a performance issue last week.

oh...i was asking because you said the last little bit of belly fat you have is the lower piece, made it sound like you were shredded for the most part. 17%? you can still stand to lose quite a bit. Get down to about 9 and you'll be a new man. And the best part is, 9 is easy (generally speaking) to maintain year round without much hassle.

great job on the weight lose though bud. keep up the good work.
how's 9% easy. I'm envious of guys with abs. I try and do low carb during the week but on weekends I hang out with wifeys fam...all we do is eat

Back
Top Bottom