STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

People laugh at the 100 butterfly pull ups in 1:30 and don't understand that to to be able to do that the guy probably does tons of weighted dead hang pull ups lol..

Crossfitters do dead hang weighted pull ups all the time.

And regular pull ups too. It's just not something we do in crossfit competitions because the goal is to get as many as you can for time.

Last edited:
People laugh at the 100 butterfly pull ups in 1:30 and don't understand that to to be able to do that the guy probably does tons of weighted dead hang pull ups lol..

And regular pull ups too. It's just not something we do in crossfit competitions because the goal is to get as many as you can for time.

Poeple laugh bc crossfiters have modified the pullup in as many ways possible so they can say ... "I did 100 pull ups in 1:30." Nah bro, you did 100 swings in 1:30.

I dont follow why the task or goal couldnt be as many strict pull ups as you can for time? Because seeing 20-40 reps isnt as glamorous as 100?

Lol I don't think crossfitters even bring up pull ups around non crossfitters. We know that's a sore point outside of our world.

Poeple laugh bc crossfiters have modified the pullup in as many ways possible so they can say ... "I did 100 pull ups in 1:30." Nah bro, you did 100 swings in 1:30.

I dont follow why the task or goal couldnt be as many strict pull ups as you can for time? Because seeing 20-40 reps isnt as glamorous as 100?

I don't know you'd have to take that up with who programs crossfit competitions. If the task was strict pull ups for time we'd be game for that, too.

We just do whatever's on the board.

Last edited:

But where's the proper technique at, in that video, per say. And what's worse is that the whole gym was condoning that poor excuse for a pull-up.

Yeah, it may differentiate from gym to gym.

At the end of the day, the only thing that guy was working out was wear and abuse of his rotator cuff. That's horrible :rofl:

It will always be quality>quantity

Last edited:
You'd be surprised at the technique needed to execute a butterfly pull up. Ive been crossfitting for 7 months and I haven't touched butterflys yet. I've stuck to dead hangs and Kipping.

You need a lot of shoulder strength for butterflys.

I understand what you're saying. It seems you also understand what I'm saying.

What I still dont get is why the strict pull up, a tried and true exercise, has bee turned into a bunch of variations for the sake of doing a bunch of reps?

I think people from other disciplines would have less issue if people in the crossfit world didnt speak about modified pull ups as if they are equal to a strict dead hang pull up. Saying I did 100 pull ups ( kipping or butterfly) is like saying I benched 400 (on the smith machine), its misleading. If you have to put another name in front of pull up, it isnt a pull up in my book. Call them butterfly swings or something, bc i didnt see any "pulling up" in what that guy did in that video, more of a rhythmic swing.

The way I see it, 20 dead hangs > 20 butterflys or 20 Kipping for sure.
I don't think you will see a crossfitters who says that butterflys and Kipping is = dead hang
But if you get in the hundreds with butterflys and Kipping that's also very impressive. No way you can get to that number without doing dead hangs or weighted to train for it.

Last edited:
Iron Man, you ever do wods in reebok crossfit lifter plus

Nope, one of my training partners does all the time though. Said they are not as stiff as Romaleo's and/or AdiPowers, the only thing that is uncomfortable is running. He does everything else though, including double unders and box jumps in Reebok Lifters.

I like the Adipowers so a far, don't mind switching out.

Last edited:
Don't think people who do Crossfit talk about pull ups as much as people who don't do Crosfit talk about how pull ups "should" be done. :lol:

No point in having a Crossfit discussion, you just find out that people don't really know what it is, assumption based. The Infinite Elgintensity dude can be funny at times, but his arguments are extremely flawed to get lulz. *shrugs*

Also, I don't know why the crossfit culture allow butterfly and Kipping pull-ups.

That's like asking a weightlifter why they do the clean and jerk instead of the clean and press. They don't know why. They just do it.

Iron Man, you ever do wods in reebok crossfit lifter plus

Nope, one of my training partners does all the time though. Said they are not as stiff as Romaleo's and/or AdiPowers, the only thing that is uncomfortable is running. He does everything else though, including double unders and box jumps in Reebok Lifters.

I like the Adipowers so a far, don't mind switching out.

That's cool. I've been doing everything in nanos but I've been wondering if I could switch to the lifter plus for most wods. I've heard great things about adipowers and I've been toying with the idea of getting them just to do strength work in them.
I'm just afraid I'll get dependent on them and fall on my *** when I snatch in nanos.

Last edited:

I don't think you will see a crossfitters who says that butterflys and Kipping is = dead hang

But if you get in the hundreds with butterflys and Kipping that's also very impressive. No way you can get to that number without doing dead hangs or weighted to train for it.

They may not say it but the way they talk about their numbers implies that they think they are equal. That video was a perfect example. It said "106 Pull ups 1:30". I understand the technique required may make it impressive, thats not the debate though.

That's like asking a weightlifter why they do the clean and jerk instead of the clean and press. They don't know why. They just do it.

Don't think that argument is valid, you are describing two different, legit movements.

As much as it rubs people the wrong way, especially meathead. Kipping has a purpose, watch any gymnastic event and you will see kipping and it does involve core, hip strength.

The butterfly though, even though it is not easy to master, it's sole purpose is to crank them out in volume while keeping your intensity at a high level. That is it's sole purpose, trying to defend it as anything else is futile.

When strict push ups are involved in a MetCon, it almost feels like I'm resting, :lol:. Butterfly's, even though you crank out more, you don't have time to catch your breath.

Don't think people who do Crossfit talk about pull ups as much as people who don't do Crosfit talk about how pull ups "should" be done.
laugh.gif

No point in having a Crossfit discussion, you just find out that people don't really know what it is, assumption based. The Infinite Elgintensity dude can be funny at times, but his arguments are extremely flawed to get lulz. *shrugs*

Because half of them dont know the difference bc theyre programmed to just do what theyre told and is on the board, just like homie above said.

Nothing we're talking about here is assumption based. A dead hang pull up is a dead hang pull up. Period. A kipping pull up or butterfly swing is not.

I have the same issue with people in the bodybuilding discipline with rows. People saying they row 275 yet are bent about 10 degrees.

They may not say it but the way they talk about their numbers implies that they think they are equal. That video was a perfect example. It said "106 Pull ups 1:30". I understand the technique required may make it impressive, thats not the debate though.

I see what you're saying but I think you're reading or interpreting something that isn't there. Again, I don't think any crossfitter thinks butterfly = dead hang. It's just a method we happen to use.

Honestly, at this point, I don't :lol:

Do your programming, if it works and you feel it's helping you progress, then keep pumping.

People are doing CF, and they're enjoying it and becoming healthy individuals. BB community stays getting angry, :lol:, for nothing really.

Don't think that argument is valid, you are describing two different, legit movements.

As much as it rubs people the wrong way, especially meathead. Kipping has a purpose, watch any gymnastic event and you will see kipping and it does involve core, hip strength.

The butterfly though, even though it is not easy to master, it's sole purpose is to crank them out in volume while keeping your intensity at a high level. That is it's sole purpose, trying to defend it as anything else is futile.

When strict push ups are involved in a MetCon, it almost feels like I'm resting, :lol:. Butterfly's, even though you crank out more, you don't have time to catch your breath.

Iron Man, you're kinda preaching to the choir bro

No one is angry. Like Durden has said before.. its like no one can engage in meaningful conversations without someone catching feels.

Im a form nazi so calling exercies something they are not irritates me across the board. It has nothing to do with me disliking crossfit. I just cant jive with people acting as if kipping and butterfly pull up numbers are equal to dead hang numbers, which that video was guilty of imo. I am not part of the crossfit community so maybe my perception is skewed or I was reading into it incorrectly.

I can't vouch for the tights but i have their boxer briefs and their evapor long sleeve shirts and i love both of them. I have 4 of the long sleeves and wear them under my work out shirts and they keep me dry and i sweat a lot. Thier boxer briefs hold their shape better then the under armor ones i have. I'd like a pair of their running tights for lifting, its next on my check list.

As for shoes. I run cardio every day. I warm up with 1-2 miles and i finish usually on the stairmaster or run another mile. So i will wear my Free 3.0's most of the time. I like squatting in my free run 5.0s since they have a bit of a heal compared to my 3.0s. I use my flyknit trainers as well as my lunar flyknits mixed in too. Lunar's for longer running days. And flyknit trainers for random days.

Next on my list is hyperfeel trainers or new 5.0 trainers. If there was ever a flyknit 3.0 trainer, or a 1.0 for men i think i would try them too. Like most on deadlift days i want to be as low to the ground as possible and squat days i want a bit of a heal but not too much cushioning. But all my shoes need to be runnable. So you won't ever catch me in the gym in chucks or baskeball shoes.
Repped Fam, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've been sitting on whether to order the tights or not. I have the shirts also and like them, but they smelled kinda funny at first
laugh.gif
I'll go ahead and cop the tights

Back
Top Bottom