STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I'm bookmarking this thread on my work and personal PCs..Need motivation..I was on my 3rd week of couch 2 5k...lifting..eating somewhat right and the holidays and this winter storm we just had has killed all my momentum..I'm getting back on it Sunday morning..

My gym is starting a 90 day challenge that I'm thinking about signing up for just for added motivation. Keep up the work brahs. Train hard, stay motivated.

if you are down, I would love to make part of my 2013 new years resolution to help you to reach your goals :nerd:

I'm down. Help me out por favor. i lurk this thread a lot but never post because I'm inconsistent when it comes to going to the gym. I'm 160lbs and I'd like to get to 170lbs.

My schedule is about to get real hectic next month and I'm not sure how to manage my workouts. My free days are Friday mornings, Saturday mornings, Sunday, and Monday night.

I like weights but I'm disappointed in the amount of pull ups, push ups, and sit ups I can do.

:nerd:

do you have a gym pass or are you still working out at home?

don't let your pull ups/push ups/sit ups count bring you down, use it as a baseline of how much stronger you are going to get in the upcoming months. I wish I was still weak in those departments so I could train hard and see immediate results.

you got 4 days to train, 3 days to rest, and 7 days total to eat right.

it all comes down to you man... you want to be 160lbs and physically weak and emotionally disappointed? or 170lbs strong and confident :nerd:

I go to LA Fitness on the weekends now.

I know what you mean tho. I highly motivated but its the workouts that I'm doing that make me feel like I'm not going anywhere. I frequent bodybuilding.com. I need a good 12 week program. I don't want to get too bulky. I'd like to develop a soccer player's build. pause is necessary, lol

When its time for my bulk I`m going old school lol well semi old school just doing the basics Protein, Creatine, Muli and Fish Oil. The only extras I have right now are CLA, Green Tea Extract, L-Carnine, and various BCAAs since I`m on a cut, since I been using those since day one cant say if they work or not lol so I`ll stick with them for now.

Eat at 10% under maintenance on training day, load up on carbs in your post workout meal
Eat at 30-40% cals under maintenance on rest days, limit your carbs.
No cardio necessary. Unless you just like to do it, then by all means but don't try to use it to circumvent a bad diet.
Just remember if you want to eat dirty, do it on a training day in your post workout meal never another time and you'll be straight.

Thanks for the advice man. Ill load up some pics with weight, stats, etc soon so I can keep track of my cut and keep myself accountable through here. Anyone else have some good advice for a cut or a regimen?

did the best leg workout i ever done today, it felt great....used to hate leg day but now im starting to love it.

nice mixes, really like the second one gonna use it tomorrow for shoulder and tricep :smokin

When its time for my bulk I`m going old school lol well semi old school just doing the basics Protein, Creatine, Muli and Fish Oil. The only extras I have right now are CLA, Green Tea Extract, L-Carnine, and various BCAAs since I`m on a cut, since I been using those since day one cant say if they work or not lol so I`ll stick with them for now.

Didn't you say you wanted to cut to 200? Why bulk and add on fat after you've already dropped so much?

I never do abs, feel like squats and other things hit them enough

Yes.

Had my best leg and back workout to date!! Cardio day tomorrow, then chest and triceps on Saturday. The craze is still working good for me and its been 2 weeks. I spilt it with my brother so that's why I'm already ordering another tub. Gonna cycle off if it after this next tub.

crappy workout today. cut it short at 40 minutes. all the junk food really got to me - didn't think it would affect me this much. gotta just push myself harder. gonna load up some new songs on my phone. those mixes are good for the car but i actually don't like working out to rap/hip hop. i prefer electronic music or metal.

Well I jacked up my knee couple weeks back and it swells up everytime I run. Any cardio exercises you guys do thats low impact on the knees? Swimming is out btw, not too many places to swim where I live nor do I enjoy doing it.

yeah you're right. it is mental. wasn't going to workout tomorrow but my gf is gonna go hang with her fam so imma at least get some cardio in. one day imma jump on the jacob's ladder - maybe real early in the morning so if i eat it, nobody will be there to see lol.

Did legs earlier this morning.  I felt weak today, so I left out a few exercises.

Leg extensions: 4 sets 20 reps @110 

Prone leg curls: 4 sets 20 reps @90

Leg press: 3 sets 15 reps @360

Barbell squat: 2 sets 20 reps @135, 2 sets 10 reps @205, 2 sets 12 reps @185, 2 sets 20 reps @45

Standing calf raises: 3 sets 20 reps @140

it's days like this that really keep me pushing.

Didn't you say you wanted to cut to 200? Why bulk and add on fat after you've already dropped so much?

Here we go again with this nonsense 
indifferent.gif

About to go kill my legs 
pimp.gif

Had a great run this morning, 6 half mile repeats at about 3:330 pace with rest in between, felt great except for it being 30 degrees out 
sick.gif

NT Bruhs. I currently weigh 220 and I would like to drop to 200 without loosing muscle mass. What time frame should I set this goal? 2 or 3 months?

Wrecked the backs and bis today....

quick question tho, why is it whenever I go heavy on dead lifts and bent over barbell rows, I feel like I get the wind knocked out of me....

Has me shook every now and then :lol:

And it's usually only those two exercises that get to me 

when is your inhale and exhale? a lot of the time people forget to breathe properly during deadlifts

Actually to get the most effective and safest deadlift, you shouldn't breathe or breathe as little as possible. It can certainly be done while breathing, but its not as safe or effective as using the valsalva maneuver.,
Wrecked the backs and bis today....

quick question tho, why is it whenever I go heavy on dead lifts and bent over barbell rows, I feel like I get the wind knocked out of me....

Has me shook every now and then :lol:

And it's usually only those two exercises that get to me 

That bent over position doesn't allow the thoracic cavity to fully expand which limits the amount of air that you can inhale or exhale.

I tried and hated the vasalva maneuver on deadlifts. I stick with the classic in on the negative and out on the positive and have never had any issues.

So I have a questions for you fellas.

My semester break started a week ago and I switched from doing all cardio on the elliptical to just lifting weights just to see how it is.

My main goal is to lose the excess fat that I have, and I was curious if it was a good decision to just lift weights in order to attain my goal since I've heard that cardio would actually work against my muscle gains. Do you guys think this was a good choice? Or am I just wasting time? :nerd:

Lastly, I'm confused as to how many calories I should be consuming each day to attain my goal. I put my info onto the MyFitnessPal app and it says that in order to lose 2 lbs. a week I should just eat around 1800 calories or less. How many calories should I be consuming since people have been telling me that I actually have to increase my calorie intake due to the weight lifting?

Much thanks for any help guys.

-Drew

Last edited:
Terrible workout today... Rotator cuff is sore/injured. I'm been doing exercises to prevent injury too.

Going to rest this weekend and rehab it. Lateral raises and other exercises with a 5 lb dumbbell. Going to use ice and heat packs too.

So I have a questions for you fellas.
My semester break started a week ago and I switched from doing all cardio on the elliptical to just lifting weights just to see how it is.
My main goal is to lose the excess fat that I have, and I was curious if it was a good decision to just lift weights in order to attain my goal since I've heard that cardio would actually work against my muscle gains. Do you guys think this was a good choice? Or am I just wasting time? :nerd:
Lastly, I'm confused as to how many calories I should be consuming each day to attain my goal. I put my info onto the MyFitnessPal app and it says that in order to lose 2 lbs. a week I should just eat around 1800 calories or less. How many calories should I be consuming since people have been telling me that I actually have to increase my calorie intake due to the weight lifting?
Much thanks for any help guys.
-Drew

All that depends on a number of things. Calculate your BMR and go from there, they even have macro calculators online if you want. You should increase your caloric intake if you want to gain mass. I stay at a caloric deficit while still lifting because I'm trying to lose excess fat like you are. I've read that something like HIIT WILL work against your muscle gains. But walking at a brisk pace at the park or on a treadmill after you lift weights will actually help with fat loss.

My cardio really only consists of walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill or skipping rope for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom