STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Has anyone done P90X3? I'm way out of shape and just getting back into it. Thinking about doing it for about 30 days and then attempting to extend my workouts.

Anybody in here have a hernia surgery? Doctor said no heavy lifting for 6 weeks but that seems a little extreme.
My friend had one... took a week off then hit the gym again perfectly fine. Bare in mind that this guy didn't do heavy squats/dls

My friend had one... took a week off then hit the gym again perfectly fine. Bare in mind that this guy didn't do heavy squats/dls
Thanks. Hopefully it's closer to one week than 6. Doctor made it sound like anything that tightens the stomach wall was out of the question. I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone get the USAW cert over the crossfit cert? Just seems the right move to make.

Would a box take it over their own over priced turd of a cert?

Edit-I'll just keep adding on this post.

I guess I'll as you this: do you feel it was worth the money? Learned some new thing? Has it opened new doors for you as far as jobs or networking? Do you think it could get you in a box as a coach?

If you want people to take you seriously, you'll have to have multiple certs. Get both, they'll make you more valuable.

Both cover different angles, both informative in their own way.

A legit gym/box will hire you as an assistant or put you through an internship program before letting you coach, especially Oly lifts.

An L1 or USAW won't make you a coach at most places, shows that you want to get there though.

Last edited:

You gonna Lance Armstrong?
man i keep thinking i'm gonna hop on the bike but probably not until I have actual employment. grad school isn't the place to be spending that money + trying to keep up that schedule.

If you want people to take you seriously, you'll have to have multiple certs. Get both, they'll make you more valuable.

Both cover different angles, both informative in their own way.

A legit gym/box will hire you as an assistant or put you through an internship program before letting you coach, especially Oly lifts.

An L1 or USAW won't make you a coach at most places, shows that you want to get there though.

Right. Not necessarily posing it that way. But I agree, the more certs the better.

Just trying to substantiate my assumption that USAW is the better cert, since the xfit cert is about twice as $$$ and it seems like most of the "coaching" is learned in the wild anyway and not in the cert itself (I'm familiar with the art of coaching and have been doing my part to get better at it in the wild, as an instructor, trainer, etc.).

But there is something cool about the idea of meeting with a bunch of energetic kip-up pull-uppers and drinking the kool-aid together. Will keep investigating.

You'll do the majority of your learning by actually being out on the field (lack of better term). Certs are there to supplement what you already know and give you insight on how to improve or show you new methods.

Oly lifting is also on the rise, and USAW is churning out weekend certs just as fast. If it's kool aid, pick a flavor. Otherwise, take it seriously and soak up as much knowledge as you can.

Hard to say which one is better. However if you want to coach at a box and make decent money. Get both. In the long run they'll both pay for themselves easily.

Also try to find a gym, Oly and or CF, and start working out. Most specialty gyms hire from within, it will also give you an idea of what you are getting yourself into.

You'll do the majority of your learning by actually being out on the field (lack of better term). Certs are there to supplement what you already know and give you insight on how to improve or show you new methods.

Oly lifting is also on the rise, and USAW is churning out weekend certs just as fast. If it's kool aid, pick a flavor. Otherwise, take it seriously and soak up as much knowledge as you can.

Hard to say which one is better. However if you want to coach at a box and make decent money. Get both. In the long run they'll both pay for themselves easily.

Also try to find a gym, Oly and or CF, and start working out. Most specialty gyms hire from within, it will also give you an idea of what you are getting yourself into.

Dig.

Today was the first day I've ever missed a lift while running 5/3/1. Feels bad, man.

How's your progress been so far? And what sort of accessory stuff have you been doing?

I did a 6 week cycle, skipped the deload, and just finished up my 7th week. I was gonna do boring but big but ended up gearing my accessory stuff more towards body building.

First time following a program for this long so I'm pretty much a noob.

I've followed this thread for some time now and noticed most people tend to snack on the following.....

- Greek Yogurt

- Quest Bars / other Protein bars

- Almonds

I've noticed Beef Jerky isn't on most peoples list....is there a reason why? High sodium content?

Just curious.

Finally hopped on a scale to measure my progress and I've went from 120 lbs to 141 lbs in a month and 3 weeks.

How's your progress been so far? And what sort of accessory stuff have you been doing?

I did a 6 week cycle, skipped the deload, and just finished up my 7th week. I was gonna do boring but big but ended up gearing my accessory stuff more towards body building.

First time following a program for this long so I'm pretty much a noob.

I've been running it for quite a while, not sure exactly how long, but it's been over a year.

None of my lifts have stalled so progress has been great. I didn't hit my 1 rep bench today, due to my right shoulder being sore from sleeping on it wrong. Didn't want to push it and visit snap city. After finishing this week, I'm going to take a much needed deload week.

I also started out doing boring but big, but have just been doing body accessory work too. I hit the bench, dead, squat, and overhead press power lifting style, and accessory work bodybulding style.

The key is just finding what volume you're able to work at to keep your main lifts progressing.

Always had too much sodium for my liking
sick.gif
I thought I saw a video by Rich Piana or Bios3 that said sodium actually helps. I'll have to try to find it.

Edit:
Starting @ 2:59:

Last edited:
My family has high blood pressure. I try to stay under 2000 in sodium. I remember going to black bear diner and eating 4000 in sodium for one plate. No thank you...

Last edited:
I've followed this thread for some time now and noticed most people tend to snack on the following.....
 - Greek Yogurt
 - Quest Bars / other Protein bars
 - Almonds

I've noticed Beef Jerky isn't on most peoples list....is there a reason why? High sodium content?

Just curious.

Never thought of beef jerky. Then again ive only had it once or twice. Whats a gold brand to try? Good meaning taste and macros.

I usually do Quest Bars and Dannon Light and Fit or Chobani greek yogurt and always with a scoop of Bear Naked Granola. V'Nilla Almond and Original Cinnamon are my fav.

Last edited:
I did some sprints on my Airdyne last night after a long break.

The lactic acid build up was real and my legs were done.

Buying some mini bands might have just been the best thing iv'e done in a while.  Knew the benefits of them but rarely used them myself just with athletes. Now I use them for warm up and activation before I train and even on my rest days at home for both lower and upper body. 

Buying some mini bands might have just been the best thing iv'e done in a while.  Knew the benefits of them but rarely used them myself just with athletes. Now I use them for warm up and activation before I train and even on my rest days at home for both lower and upper body. 

I use them to warm up too. Good stuff

Back
Top Bottom