STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

My body is hurting today after running the Spartan Ultra Beast on Sunday. Might have to keep it to cardio and stretching this week.

Why are some of you guys afraid to ask for a spot? I'm just trying to understand. I ask any random person who doesn't appear to be a **** and I know can pull the weight back up. I'll get a spot doing 2-3 reps, 10-20 reps, light, heavy, doesn't matter.

Why are some of you guys afraid to ask for a spot? I'm just trying to understand. I ask any random person who doesn't appear to be a **** and I know can pull the weight back up. I'll get a spot doing 2-3 reps, 10-20 reps, light, heavy, doesn't matter.
I just don't really see the point. I know I can always roll the bar down or dump the weights.

When I do pyramids I only do it with a spot though. Then I'm going up to 190 and I need my buddy there telling me to not be a ***** and lift it. :lol:

Once I'm benching a little more I'll probably only go with a spot but I feel safe now. I know what to do when I run out of gas and I fully grip the bar so it's not going to slip. I'm not a big dude benching crazy weight.

I've done the "roll of shame" twice, it was usually because I got greedy and went for another rep when I knew I probably didn't have it. I rarely ask for a spot because most people will do all the work for me, helping me on literally every rep 
indifferent.gif

That's the other thing. I don't want you touching the bar unless I stall. Then only lift it with a finger or two. I don't need you acting like you're the one lifting.

I rarely ask for a spot because most people will do all the work for me, helping me on literally every rep :stoneface:   

That's why you give instructions. Every person I ask for a spot I tell... No lift off and don't touch the bar unless it's coming down on me. Never had a problem.

That's the other thing. I don't want you touching the bar unless I stall. Then only lift it with a finger or two. I don't need you acting like you're the one lifting.
that's why i look them in the eye first and tell them "don't steal my gainz brah".

Off topic , but i observed this one incident in the gym.
One guy (looked like a beginner) was on the bench, asked for a spotter. Then this other guy (looked like another beginner), proceeded to spot him. He unracked the bar, the spotter grabbed on to the bar, and the guy on the bench lost control and threw the bar infront of him. The spotter was still holding onto the bar so he fell forward and landed face first on the other mans crotch, and his crotch landed on his face :smh: :lol:

One guy (looked like a beginner) was on the bench, asked for a spotter. Then this other guy (looked like another beginner), proceeded to spot him. He unracked the bar, the spotter grabbed on to the bar, and the guy on the bench lost control and threw the bar infront of him. The spotter was still holding onto the bar so he fell forward and landed face first on the other mans crotch, and his crotch landed on his face :smh: :lol:

What in the world, lol..

You didn't realize you were on the set of an adult film?

I've done the "roll of shame" twice, it was usually because I got greedy and went for another rep when I knew I probably didn't have it. I rarely ask for a spot because most people will do all the work for me, helping me on literally every rep 
indifferent.gif

Roll of shame. Haha. I've been there.

That's why you give instructions. Every person I ask for a spot I tell... No lift off and don't touch the bar unless it's coming down on me. Never had a problem.
Trust me I've tried lol. I lift in a recereation center that was just renovated to a semi decent gym (rack, benchs, dbells to 100) and it's mostly old people. I've had three people literally ignore what I told them so I just bench within my programming or push it if I know I have some in the tank. 

Roll of shame. Haha. I've been there.
Sucks to do it front of people too  
frown.gif

Last edited:
Man one time I had a guy run and grab my weights and pull em up when I didn't even ask for a spot. Wasn't even really struggling that bad was still getting it up but it was going slow. I was heated

I understand your guys points, I've had instructions ignored too. I just personally like going to failure on bench, get dem gains ya heard?

I push harder when I don't have a spotter. It's like I mentally know I have a safety net, when I have a spotter.

I push harder when I don't have a spotter. It's like I mentally know I have a safety net, when I have a spotter.
yeah but you can put more weight on the bar than you normally would if no spotter, or on that last rep if you dont think you got it or unsure, you can go for it, and sometimes youll crank out 2 more reps or maybe 1.5

I lift solo but wish i had a spotter for chest more ofte

Ive made some good friends at the gym and all it started with was a hey, hello can I get a spot bro? 

Ive made some good friends at the gym and all it started with was a hey, hello can I get a spot bro? 

Seriously. Im sure if youre a regular people recognize you, a simple "Can I get a spot?" could turn a person you just recognize to someone whos cool and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom