STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Planning to open a gym in the next three years. Many gym owners are just that owners. A lot of the Crossfit elite, own gyms but does not train people.

For myself, I want to open a gym. I have a coach in mind to train and run the place. Again, my passion is in the sport per say, not to coach or train. Atleast I will have the knowledge and understanding of how things work.
nthat.gif

I'm not sure what you're agreeing or disagreeing with, or if that's a rhetorical question :lol:

I understand testing of material is necessary. But just bc you've read the material and can pass a test on it, doesn't mean you know how to apply it. Which lends to your point that there is no substitution for experience. Especially in a discipline such as this.

That holds for any discipline. I disagree with the notion that you're saying a certification doesn't mean ****. It means you're qualified for the job you're doing. Doesn't mean you're gonna be the best at it, but you put in the work to be able to do that job. It gets your foot in the door. We all have to start somewhere, that's life.

In the end, everything comes out in the wash. If you're not a right fit for that position, you'll get weeded out sooner or later

Most degrees nowadays don't teach you practical ways to apply the knowledge you've Gained. I spent my entire undergrad manipulating mathematical equations and trying to apply them to theoretical situations that don't exist in the real world.

Am I using that material in my job? Hellllllll no.

Last edited:
That holds for any discipline. I disagree with the notion that you're saying a certification doesn't mean ****. It means you're qualified for the job you're doing. Doesn't mean you're gonna be the best at it, but you put in the work to be able to do that job. It gets your foot in the door. We all have to start somewhere, that's life.

Wrong. A certification does not mean you're qualified for the job you're doing, it means you passed the test to obtain that certification. Which was my initial point. There are fitness certs you can obtain by passing a test based on a textbook, or a weekend class. Where is the experience we both agree cannot be substituted?

I'm not sure what you're agreeing or disagreeing with, or if that's a rhetorical question
laugh.gif

I understand testing of material is necessary. But just bc you've read the material and can pass a test on it, doesn't mean you know how to apply it. Which lends to your point that there is no substitution for experience. Especially in a discipline such as this.
Well, from what I understand in the L1 CF Cert, you are mostly working on movements with a PVC pipe for 2 days on top of text books.  Hands on.

One thing I know from training on a PVC pipe, that pipe will beat you more than a 45lbs bar. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Wrong. A certification does not mean you're qualified for the job you're doing, it means you passed the test to obtain that certification. Which was my initial point. There are fitness certs you can obtain by passing a test based on a textbook, or a weekend class. Where is the experience we both agree cannot be substituted?

My entire point is that you need to START somewhere to gain that experience. Those usually start with certifications and pieces of paper.

A certification holds you accountable for the material you've learned. Again, people will get weeded out sooner or later.

A certification makes sure that the information you are learning is CORRECT

My entire point is that you need to START somewhere to gain that experience. Those usually start with certifications and pieces of paper.

A certification holds you accountable for the material you've learned. Again, people will get weeded out sooner or later.

I don't disagree with any of that. Maybe I'm articulating my point wrong. I'm just trying to make the point that someone with a fitness or crossfit certification isn't automatically a qualified trainer. That's it.

this is the lulziest thing I've ever read

While I think crossfit and their certifications are overpriced garbage, I respect what you want to do with opening a gym.

Even if you don't plan on coaching it would be pretty awesome to have your own gym outfitted to your needs that other people foot the bill for. Hopefully it works out.
Yeah my goal is to actual own a gym, compete for the Masters (Crossfit) in 4 years (I'm 36), and compete strongly in weightlifting as a Master competitor. 

The gym will be a tool to allow me to do what I want as long as I want. Plus it will be a way to hopefully get people into the sport.

I'm going to design the gym as a weightlifting, crossfit, workout (bodybuilding) gym. Everybody can use it. Fitness isn't limited to one thing.

I don't disagree with any of that. Maybe I'm articulating my point wrong. I'm just trying to make the point that someone with a fitness or crossfit certification isn't automatically a qualified trainer. That's it.

The main thing I'm disagreeing with you on is that you put statements made it seem like certifications are useless across all professions which is simply not true. You may not have intended it to sound like that and that's fine.

Other Than that I completely agree

Treadmill plateau is a decent way to put it though.

Plateau isn't a word that was invented in the gym. I've seen it happen to women who hit there all and get bored and want to take the next level onto the weights.

I say give it a shot dude. Build her a fat *** and send me a video of the squats to help you advise I'll do it for free.
What you did there, I seent it. :nerd:

this is the lulziest thing I've ever read

How exactly?

Who am I more likely to trust? A machine operator who was taught by another employee? Or a machine operator who took a course and received a certification to run that?

I'm taking the latter every single time. I'm taking a training right now because people at my company haven't been doing things by the book. Guess how that's turning oht

I think we can all agree certs are important but we would rather get trained/coached by someone with real life experience and respect in whatever field they're in.

I want the guy who has competed 10+ years and totaled over 2k and has countless hours of hands on training, not the person with 2 degrees, 3 certs but no total or respect in their field.

At the same time some of the best, most accomplished people can make horrible coaches, for example Kobe or MJ probably wouldn't be good coaches.

This is the closest picture i could find on google sorry about the guy curling in it
laugh.gif

now imagine that guy in the pic squatting at any depth. They are too high. It literally still blows my mind that this is a thing. Like did you not test it? Have you ever squatted ever? How is this thing even made better yet purchased by a commercial gym
mean.gif
Only time I use that rack is for OHP. But even then I feel hella sketch in it.

I've squatted and bottomed out on that, I lost tightness and my back was taxed for 2 or 3 days, told myself, never again.  I'll wait 20min for the power rack if needed lol.

I think we can all agree certs are important but we would rather get trained/coached by someone with real life experience and respect in whatever field they're in.

I want the guy who has competed 10+ years and totaled over 2k and has countless hours of hands on training, not the person with 2 degrees, 3 certs but no total or respect in their field.

At the same time some of the best, most accomplished people can make horrible coaches, for example Kobe or MJ probably wouldn't be good coaches.
fax b

How exactly?

Who am I more likely to trust? A machine operator who was taught by another employee? Or a machine operator who took a course and received a certification to run that?

I'm taking the latter every single time. I'm taking a training right now because people at my company haven't been doing things by the book. Guess how that's turning oht
because 99% of dudes holding certs are useless, regardless of the piece of paper they got.

So how would a coach get started coaching? That seasoned proven coach had to start somewhere. Once upon a time they too had nothing but certifications and no prior experience training someone else

This topic is never gonna go anywhere. :lol:

Got my Alphamine in. Gonna test it out tomorrow. Hopefully the raspberry lemonade flavor is good.

Agreed ^

The whole topic is really vague. There's more than one way to do anything. A degree or certification doesn't automatically make you a professional. Life experience also doesn't mean you're qualified to a do a certain job. You don't need formal schooling to be successful and at the same time having it doesn't mean you'll take it any further than the guy operating his own business without any.

Comes down to the individual and what they're willing to put in to master their field by whatever means. No two paths are the same and everyone has a different MO.

With PT certs, there's really like 2-3 that really hold any water. NASM, ACE, and one other that escapes me right now. Everything else shouldn't be much of a consideration.

Olympus and boss summed it up pretty well.

Who's lifting some weights today?

Prescribed off day but I'm going in for some light cardio and stretching. Hamstrings are really tight, I wanna get some blood circulation.

Should be Chest and Triceps today, but I've been running the same rotuine for about a month so I'm either going to come up with something different or run some ball and lift on my day off on Friday.

That's what I mean though if you just eat with some common sense you'll be alright. I know paleo works but what got you 25# overweight in the first place? Probably eating tons of sugar... Now you panic and do some diet.

I just think eating with some common sense to begin with and not elimating carbs altogether is a much better long term solution. I know everyone is different but you can't tell me you got mad overweight and you NEED paleo when you should have just ate better to begin with instead of taking it to the extreme.

That's just my opinion but I feel people need to take more responsibility. Don't be a slob in the first place. Very rarely do I see anyone in good shape practicing these diets. It's always someone who gave no dambs for years and saw a diet on the news they will do for 30 days and fail.

Lifetime of discipline > a fad diet

Don't you eat like 8000 calories a day though

Nah like 5-6. But what's your point? I don't eat garbage food and I don't eat all meat.

I used to eat more but I didn't see the point in bulking when I could just progress over time. I also probably burn more calories in a day than most guys here and have a fast metabolism. That's what it takes for me to put on a couple pounds a month.

Last edited:
i don't know about the supposed science behind the paleo diet but it seems like a great base for a healthy lifestyle. i'd do paleo over keto anyday.

i'm not lifting much this week because of a slight cold but i'm still going to do some stretching and mobility work today.

I think what people are getting at is that you can't generalize nutrition.

5-6k calories isn't normal for most. Paleo is a way of eating. Much like being a vegan/vegetarian. It's not even extreme, just different from what you are accustomed to.

You're telling me you've been on top of your nutrition your entire life?

Back
Top Bottom