STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Finished PH3 yesterday and set new PRs in my lifts. I hit:

435 Squat
260 Bench
500 Dead

Overall I'm satisfied with the progress I made. What's going to haunt me is not trying for 5 more pounds and getting an even 1200 :lol:

I'm starting it over tomorrow.

Finished PH3 yesterday and set new PRs in my lifts. I hit:

435 Squat
260 Bench
500 Dead

Overall I'm satisfied with the progress I made. What's going to haunt me is not trying for 5 more pounds and getting an even 1200
laugh.gif

I'm starting it over tomorrow.
height and weight?

ASL?

I've got a coach that tailors my plan for me but the general rules for my diet:

Fasted cardio in A.M. Started at 15 minutes a day for first 7 weeks, bumped it up to 25 minutes last week. Just walking on the treadmill.

I'll give you guys the plan I used for my first 6 weeks of prep. It changes weekly at this point based on how I lean out and how my coach feels about my physique. All meats are cooked weight. Rice is after cooking, oats measured raw.

Meal 1
10 egg whites
1 cup oatmeal
15 almonds

Meal 2
7oz 93% ground turkey
1 cup jasmine rice
Veggies

Meal 3
7oz chicken breast
1 cup rice
Veggies
15 almonds

Meal 4
Same as above with no almonds

Post workout shake
40g isolate
40g HBCD powder
Creatine + Glutamine + 600mg alpha lipoic acid + 500mg vit C

Meal 6
6oz sirloin
1/2 cup jasmine rice
Veggies

Meal 7
10 egg whites
1 tbsp PB

cheat meal once a week. Whatever I want within reason

I hope that helps. My stats when I started was 5ft 9 210LBS.[/quote. Do you think walking on the treadmill would be more beneficial than high intensity interval training when you do your fasted cardio? Also what's hbcd powder? Nice progress btw. Looking good

quote. Do you think walking on the treadmill would be more beneficial than high intensity interval training when you do your fasted cardio? Also what's hbcd powder? Nice progress btw. Looking good
For my purpose, yes. Low intensity steady state cardio is best for my body (partially because I am on the dark side) as far as losing body fat while maintaining my size. For the average person/non-competitor, HIIT is your best bet for overall cardiovascular health as well trimming down some body fat, IMO. HBCD is "highly branched cyclic dextrin", basically a more developed version of karbolyn/vitargo/karbolic, etc. Just modified dextrose. Thank you!! Hope that helps.

Well, let me rephrase that. HIIT could potentially be more effective if I was on a shortened timeframe, but I simply don't need it for my purposes. I diet for 16ish weeks and am doing some degree of fasted cardio that whole time. Slow and steady wins the race when you have that much time.

so you mean to tell me I could lose body fat just by walking peacefully on a treadmill for 15 minutes before my workouts?  I train at 5AM in the morning Mon-Fri if that matters

sincerely

guy who is afraid of cardio but can't lost body fat

Last edited by a moderator:
so you mean to tell me I could lose body fat just by walking peacefully on a treadmill for 15 minutes before my workouts?  I train at 5AM in the morning Mon-Fri if that matters

sincerely
guy who is afraid of cardio but can't lost body fat

If your diet is in check, you absolutely could and will. Weight training in the early AM/first thing isn't optimal for losing body fat in the first place though. Your cortisol is already elevated when you wake up, weight training first thing will elevate that even higher and put your body in a state of stress i.e. more likely to hold onto what you're giving it. This isn't an end all be all factor but it can have an impact on your results.

What I post in here is experience based on what works for my body specifically. In hopes that it helps some of you guys who are trying to become very serious about your physiques. That being said, the most important thing I can teach is consistency. My meal plan and workouts work because I don't ever miss a beat on them. If I half assed any part of what I do, I wouldn't look anything like I do now or will look like in 8 more weeks. So learn to be consistent and create a routine that works for you personally

Good discussion here.

Mark Sisson is a fitness author and blogger, and a former distance runner, triathlete and Ironman competitor. His latest book "Primal Endurance" is available now via Amazon.

I believe Layne Norton scientifically calls BS on fasted AM cardio doing anything.

If it wasn't him, it was someone reputable :lol:

I believe Layne Norton scientifically calls BS on fasted AM cardio doing anything.

If it wasn't him, it was someone reputable :lol:

And yet, almost every majorly competitive bodybuilder (I'm referring to the IFBB because it's the only league that actually carries any weight in the bodybuilding industry) in the world as well as their coaches still swear by it, and it is their sole form of cardio. If not fasted, then post-workout in a glycogen depleted state. Or PM cardio after all meals have been eaten to put the body in a fat burning state overnight. All of which involve depleted glycogen levels. Layne is a super rad dude, and he's very intelligent and I will never knock him for trying to get people to lead a healthy and safe lifestyle. But there is a significant disconnect between what he preaches and what actually happens in the bodybuilding world, simply because REAL bodybuilding is not safe, and there is no "easy" way. There are no majorly competitive bodybuilders doing IIFYM during contest season, there are no natural professional bodybuilders in any league that actually matters (which completely changes how food cardio and training interact, with no studies to back how it affects humans to lend credibility to his statements in that sense), and most importantly, he has no track record as a coach of creating any successful athletes beyond the local level in mostly natural competitions.

He's one of the best resources out there for powerlifting, IIFYM, and recreational bodybuilding. When it comes to hardcore bodybuilding, his word is not gospel and there are 50+ years of methods in place that have worked time and time again for the best in the world.

And yet, almost every majorly competitive bodybuilder (I'm referring to the IFBB because it's the only league that actually carries any weight in the bodybuilding industry) in the world as well as their coaches still swear by it, and it is their sole form of cardio. If not fasted, then post-workout in a glycogen depleted state. Or PM cardio after all meals have been eaten to put the body in a fat burning state overnight. All of which involve depleted glycogen levels. Layne is a super rad dude, and he's very intelligent and I will never knock him for trying to get people to lead a healthy and safe lifestyle. But there is a significant disconnect between what he preaches and what actually happens in the bodybuilding world, simply because REAL bodybuilding is not safe, and there is no "easy" way. There are no majorly competitive bodybuilders doing IIFYM during contest season, there are no natural professional bodybuilders in any league that actually matters (which completely changes how food cardio and training interact, with no studies to back how it affects humans to lend credibility to his statements in that sense), and most importantly, he has no track record as a coach of creating any successful athletes beyond the local level in mostly natural competitions.

He's one of the best resources out there for powerlifting, IIFYM, and recreational bodybuilding. When it comes to hardcore bodybuilding, his word is not gospel and there are 50+ years of methods in place that have worked time and time again for the best in the world.
all valid points, and well written 
pimp.gif

but there's a disconnect when science doesn't back up what is being practiced. 

I'm not an expert, so I can't comment specifically on any of this 
laugh.gif

all valid points, and well written :pimp:

but there's a disconnect when science doesn't back up what is being practiced. 

I'm not an expert, so I can't comment specifically on any of this :lol:

I totally agree with you. I went to college for dietetics... And what is practiced and what works in hardcore bodybuilding is completely counterintuitive to everything we are taught. IMO it's like they always say, the truth lies somewhere in between the two sides to the story

Anyone here use resistance bands? ,I want to get an ankle pair and one for hip. What are the best cheapest options.

If your diet is in check, you absolutely could and will. Weight training in the early AM/first thing isn't optimal for losing body fat in the first place though. Your cortisol is already elevated when you wake up, weight training first thing will elevate that even higher and put your body in a state of stress i.e. more likely to hold onto what you're giving it. This isn't an end all be all factor but it can have an impact on your results.

What I post in here is experience based on what works for my body specifically. In hopes that it helps some of you guys who are trying to become very serious about your physiques. That being said, the most important thing I can teach is consistency. My meal plan and workouts work because I don't ever miss a beat on them. If I half assed any part of what I do, I wouldn't look anything like I do now or will look like in 8 more weeks. So learn to be consistent and create a routine that works for you personally
10-4

i'm going to walk on an incline for 15 minutes prior to weight lifting and see where it takes me.   Thanks.

I totally agree with you. I went to college for dietetics... And what is practiced and what works in hardcore bodybuilding is completely counterintuitive to everything we are taught. IMO it's like they always say, the truth lies somewhere in between the two sides to the story

Juicing completely changes everything.

Back
Top Bottom