STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I've been lifting for about 14 years now. I've deadlifted for about 6-7 months.
Lol if homie doesn't want to deadlift he doesn't need to DL. He can still get gains or cut without them. Again he's not doing any type of competition. Why would it matter if he deadlifted or not. ?

I've been lifting for about 14 years now. I've deadlifted for about 6-7 months.
Lol if homie doesn't want to deadlift he doesn't need to DL. He can still get gains or cut without them. Again he's not doing any type of competition. Why would it matter if he deadlifted or not. ?

It's the essential compound lift.

It doesn't make sense to me to not train optimally, competing or not.

Of course you can not deadlift and still "make gains" but nothing compared if you were actually deadlifting as heavy as you could.

There's no other movement that you can substitute.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter if he does or doesn't. It's one of the best full body lifts you can do though for strength and function, if not the best. If there's pressure on the lower back, you should check to make sure you spine is neutral (not flexed or extended) and your core is properly braced. Push through the floor with feet, don't pull the weight.

Might be worth trying hex bar deadlifts for a while to let your back recover. Hex bar DL is more quad dominant.

Like, I get what everyone is saying, but not everyone has the same goals. Some people just want to go to the gym to drop a few pounds or to even out the beer they drink. Not everyone cares about being super duper shredded or super duper strong. It used to bother me when I saw people go to the gym and just like be there lol. I see a guy come to my gym, and for about 2 years now has benched 225 (not right) and read a newspaper between sets....

You do you....

Last edited:
Again.
If he doesn't want to train DL. It's really not that big of a deal. Not everyone is looking to get stronger in that way. There are other ways and exercises he can do that is more comfortable to him. The reason I was able to jump to DLs with high numbers was due to all the other lifts I've done In my life time. I'm still working on flexibility. And I get a hell of a burn and workout when I deadlift. But I've felt that same burn not doing them also. Yes I've got stronger doing them and it's helped a lot of other lifts. But still not esssential to me and my goals. I do them practically for fun.

If you're not a competitive power lifter, you don't have to squat, bench, and deadlift.

There's a million ways to better your body and get stronger. Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is stop doing an exercise that's causing you problems.

If you don't co-sign on that, talk to any reputable trainer.

I totally agree with that. But just for the sake of the discussion... a lot of times, and I'm not talking about OP, people are discouraged because they aren't great at a particular lift, it's uncomfortable, or too tough. It isn't really that it is causing them "problems" per se, rather one of the former. My squat is trash. I have a bad lower back and it isn't "comfortable"... but to simply not squat because of that, or just cop out and say my back is bad, is stupid to me because I know the benefits of the exercise. I just feel like I'm doing myself a disservice if I do my legs and don't squat.

You got any PL gyms near you?

I remember watching vids of you squatting 5+ plates on the most trash racks I seen.
laugh.gif

Feel like with better conditions of course you would be motivated to train it more + go even heavier.

While I have a lot of complaints about my gym, the power rack is solid.

I had some mental things with squatting too, mostly because it just frustrated me from a gains perspective.

But I mean as long as you squatting once a week just to maintain your strength during the cut, it's cool to cut back and ramp back up when you decide to start reverse dieting.
Yeah man I made like all my strength gains on ****** *** equipment 
laugh.gif

There aren't any PL gyms super close to me but I actually enjoy Golds and the atmosphere plus I'm not looking to be super competitive in PL at the moment, my goals have changed some. 

I'm maintaining my strength pretty well, benched 385 last night then 315 for easyyy 5x5, squatted 500 for a double tuesday and will be hitting 550 for singles tomorrow on deads.

If you're not a competitive power lifter, you don't have to squat, bench, and deadlift.

There's a million ways to better your body and get stronger. Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is stop doing an exercise that's causing you problems.

While I do agree with the first statement, on deads for sure, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone with a really impressive (subjective) physique who doesnt squat at all. Ive also yet to see many (subjective) guys who have really good physiques who aren't somewhat strong (subjective). ***naturally***

Last edited:
Didn't realize how much my ****** ankle mobility was holding me back until now.

Same here. Found some ankle mobility drills and realized how trash my ankle dorsiflexion is. Foam rolled and did about 15 minutes worth of mobility work and I felt looser.

Meanwhile, I was gonna put together my own thing for tonight until I discovered this:

Learned so much about technique and movement from this. Definitely mixing some of it in tonight if not all.

Its funny yall are talking about this. There's a couple guys that i see at the gym who look swole and big, but I've never seen em do any of the big 3. Kinda guessed they used to lift big and now do hella volume to get beach muscles or something

just came back from hitting back and bi... skipped DL and went straight to weighted ring pull ups... feels good brahs 
pimp.gif

my main goal is hypertrophy.... and i dont believe DL are required at all to build a good physique. im all for squats though.

also, for people wondering, my form is fine on DL (not trying to sound arrogant). but I noticed a lot of people here dont do volume for their DL..

5 reps aint no damn volume to me. I always like to stick to the 8-12 rep range on my lifts and at least 3 sets... next time yall do DL, do 70% of your max 4 sets of 9. promise you'll feel a burn like no other. my max DL is 375 and im 163 lb which im pretty proud of... but im not a power lifter... im just a young guy looking to put on some muscle.

Last edited:
8lbs ON chocolate whey - $65 shipped with code 20FEBY2017 @ vitamin shoppe, online only

Anyone use gnc 3x fish oil and need a re-up? $5 a bottle. Bought too much and lost the receipt and they bsing with the price in-store

This dude a sav for real...if im bout to squat and blood starts squirting out my nose ima prolly rack that ****

I looked at a pic or two and saw his gym is Exile, which is around my way. Figured if I looked at a few more videos I'd see someone I knew.. my buddy is spotting him on this video.

I looked at a pic or two and saw his gym is Exile, which is around my way. Figured if I looked at a few more videos I'd see someone I knew.. my buddy is spotting him on this video.

Dudes a beast. That 260ohp is crazy

Just snapped something in my lower back going for my 2nd rep in DL. Heard something pop. Now I'm laying in pain waiting fin the gym waiting for my Physical therapist friend to come check me
Out. Wtf. All this got damn DL talk.
My legs went instantly numb. Dropped the weight and went to the ground.

Just snapped something in my lower back going for my 2nd rep in DL. Heard something pop. Now I'm laying in pain waiting fin the gym waiting for my Physical therapist friend to come check me
Out. Wtf. All this got damn DL talk.
My legs went instantly numb. Dropped the weight and went to the ground.

Yikes

Back
Top Bottom