STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

A lot of things you're not doing right.

It doesn't look anywhere close to a proper clean. It looks like a deadlift plus a reverse barbell curl.

Your issues are with the second pull. It looks good until it gets to the point where the bar is supposed to make thigh contact. From then on, it looks like you used your arms to reverse curl it onto your shoulders. And you didn't make a proper rack, your hands were just holding the weight, instead of having the weight rest on the meat of your deltoids.

Your feet don't really move. They're supposed to relocate from a dynamic stance to a wider receiving stance.

Last edited:
^How can I fix this? Try to focus more on shrugging? And yes, when it gets to the top its like I'm getting ready to do a Military press instead of resting on my upper chest area.

-Watch more videos, especially, @hookgrip on Instagram. It'll show you the second pull.
-You don't use your hips at all, which is conducive to getting the weight up.
-Honestly, break it down. Start with working on your front rack position. It's important.
-Work on explosion, hip width (start) to shoulder width (finish).
- Do explosive shrugs, and fixing your bar path. When you "shrug" the weight up, look at the ceiling, it will help you achieve triple extension.

Honestly, the power clean is a very complicated and explosive movement, and would recommend you get some coaching/instruction. You will not get that at your regular commercial gym where nobody gives a **** about you unless you use the squat rack to curl. Hit a barbell club or oly gym. Even if it's for a month, you'll gain ton's of knowledge and if you decide to bolt they don't make you jump through hoops to get out of your membership. :lol: **** globo gyms.

You have to sweep the bar into your thigh, and let the thigh contact happen. From there you do a re-bend with your knees, and prepare to triple extend.

Look at the pictures -

Picture 1 - just getting his feet into position. the ideal beginning position is like yours. hips placed lower than your deadlift level, chest up, butt sticking out, shoulders over the bar, looking ahead.

Picture 2 - he's exploding up with legs now. Notice how his shoulders are still over the bar.

3rd picture-shoulders still over the bar, he's preparing to sweep the bar into his thigh. Thigh contact is crucial. It's where you get all your leverage.

4th- thing contact made, he re-bends to prepare to triple extend

5th-triple extension made: knees extended, hips extended, back slightly hyperextended, shoulders shrugged - notice his arms are still straight

6th- it looks like he's doing an uptight row, but he's not. at this point the bar feels weightless, it's in the air and flying up off its own accord, and he's preparing to drop underneath the weight. do not make the mistake of pulling at the bar with your arms.

7th-preparing to rack it, he's pretty much in the front squat position

8th-bar racked. notice how his elbows are up and forward. it's not his hands holding up the weight but his front deltoids. He can take all his fingers off the bar and the bar will stay racked.

Since you're working on just the power version of this movement, all you have to do is do what he does but stop yourself from dropping lower than parallel.

A lot easier said than done.

What I did for many months was take a crapload of videos of myself attempting cleans and comparing my lifts to better lifters, frame by frame. I would pause and rewind my videos at different junctions

The most important thing to look for when you pause your videos is to see if you at any point looked like Ilya in the 5th picture. If it's not, well - it's back to the drawing board, keep trying.

Last edited:
So don't worry about shrugging right now. Worry about sweeping into your thigh first, and keeping your shoulders over the bar. You get that right first. Then you worry about getting into the re-bend position. You get that right, then you worry about the triple extension - where the "shrug" happens

4 of these 32 oz Nalgenes throughout the day.

Got my Supreme one to let everyone at the gym know I'm a hypebeast

Honestly, the power clean is a very complicated and explosive movement, and would recommend you get some coaching/instruction. You will not get that at your regular commercial gym where nobody gives a **** about you unless you use the squat rack to curl. Hit a barbell club or oly gym. Even if it's for a month, you'll gain ton's of knowledge and if you decide to bolt they don't make you jump through hoops to get out of your membership.
laugh.gif
**** globo gyms.
10000% this. Oly lifts are the most difficult movements to execute properly, so if you don't know what your doing its a one way ticket to.....snap city.

Personally I don't have the shoulder and elbow mobility to be able to do them yet but I would like to learn one day.

The clean is definitely a humbling movement. I swear my clean form wasn't great the first six months of doing them. You just have to keep doing them and taking videos of yourself.

I'm pretty confident about my cleans. But my snatches are a different story.

I think your max snatch is supposed to be 80 percent of your max clean. My max snatch is more like 55-60 percent of my max clean.

My suggestion would be to master the front squat first, progress to the hang clean and then down the road introduce the full clean

Youre asking for trouble learning to clean with those types if weights, especially at light weights like that

1200 people at the perform better conference.... Crazzy.

Stu mcgills hands on lecture had a ton if people there, pretty cool stuff.

How many of you just go to the playground to get a workout in?
Hannibal is a monster.

Whenever I hit the park with the lil one, I hop on the monkey bars and find places to do dips and pull ups.  Always nice to take the fitness outdoors.

Dropping bodyfat is calories in vs calories out brah.

Yes I'm aware. I have visible abs right now. Diff levels of bf. Go drink syntha 6 with corn syrup and other garbage fillers per scoop.
What baffles me about products like these is that people judge them off of taste alone.  Toss some milk and frozen strawberries in the nutri bullet with some whey.  You'll have something that tastes just as good without all of the useless filler.

4 of these 32 oz Nalgenes throughout the day.

Got my Supreme one to let everyone at the gym know I'm a hypebeast
Don't forget the box tee and the one size fits most hat.  
smokin.gif

Last edited:
I think my clean form has improved dramatically.

I stopped worrying about "shrugging" the weight as I explode up.

As I move up the bar once it passes my knees, I bring my hips in fast and let the bar hit my thighs and the weight just flies up.

I gotta record myself, but the day after my traps were so sore. I guess the shrugging part just happens naturally if you don't think about it.

idk, its kinda hard to explain the movement, but I feel it's a good replica of the videos I've seen online of olympic lifters cleaning and stuff.

I could be droing it wrong.

Also, I though the explosive power came from the hips and back on the clean?

no?

for reference,

Last edited:
The hip is the initiator of the second pull. The shrug is more like the finisher of the movement.

Yea, I don't think about the shrug either. The whole time I'm just concentrating on my hips, back and legs being completely extended.

Last edited:
Pretty much just lurk this thread for all the great info posted. Decided to try some one rep maxes today, was able to hit 220 lbs on flat bench and 240 lbs on deadlift. Not big numbers by far, but, I'm impressed with myself.

I really really like Mark Ripptoe. I read his starting strength book when I was starting out and wanted to work on my dl, bench and squat. But he's the only one teaching the clean as a 'deadlift and a jump'.

Everyone else teaches that the explosive power is from violent hip extension and not a jump.

Teaching the clean as a jump might confuse a beginner because jumping is a quad-centric movement and not a hip centered movement.

I know he knows that the clean is achieved by extending the hip, so I don't understand why he keeps emphasizing the jump to the beginner.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to master the front squat first, progress to the hang clean and then down the road introduce the full clean

Youre asking for trouble learning to clean with those types if weights, especially at light weights like that
Right, you have to break the movements down as a beginner, start with learning how to hold the bar in a front squat position with elbows up then progress to a proper front squat. Once your comfortable with the start with a hang clean at mid thigh then above the knee. In order to use your hips properly try and "get tall" in your pull, when you get tall without jumping then triple extension will naturally happen.  Also your focusing on pulling the bar up the the receiving position and your doing a reverse curl, pull your elbows back then rotate them forward and focus on pulling yourself under the bar instead of pull the bar up to you.  Once your comfortable with all that you can progress to a full power clean.  

Also those weights are horrible to pull from the floor with.

As far as the jump cue, i hate it personally.  I see too many kids focus on jumping and foot slamming that they fail to get triple extension almost every time. A loud stomp doesn't mean your doing it right and violent.

And looking at pics/vids of elite level weightlifters won't really help you as a beginner.  You need to watch some clean progression videos aimed for beginners.  Among others, barbell shrugged has a decent video along with breaking each movement of the clean down on their youtube page.

Right, you have to break the movements down as a beginner, start with learning how to hold the bar in a front squat position with elbows up then progress to a proper front squat. Once your comfortable with the start with a hang clean at mid thigh then above the knee. In order to use your hips properly try and "get tall" in your pull, when you get tall without jumping then triple extension will naturally happen.  Also your focusing on pulling the bar up the the receiving position and your doing a reverse curl, pull your elbows back then rotate them forward and focus on pulling yourself under the bar instead of pull the bar up to you.  Once your comfortable with all that you can progress to a full power clean.  

Also those weights are horrible to pull from the floor with.

As far as the jump cue, i hate it personally.  I see too many kids focus on jumping and foot slamming that they fail to get triple extension almost every time. A loud stomp doesn't mean your doing it right and violent.

And looking at pics/vids of elite level weightlifters won't really help you as a beginner.  You need to watch some clean progression videos aimed for beginners.  Among others, barbell shrugged has a decent video along with breaking each movement of the clean down on their youtube page.
different strokes for different folks i guess, i use the jump/stomp. i actually exaggerate it. for me, when i started, the idea of first pulls, second pulls, shrugs etc. were a little much to take on at once. So i started with hip exercises. establishing faster, stronger hips was something i really focused on for awhile. i did alot of drop squats (front and back), box jumps from the seated or ground position, deadlifts from boxes, and so on. My goal was to get under the bar as fast as i could.

Once i felt comfortable getting under the bar, that when i started working on pulls and full extenstion.  i started doing hang cleans/snatches couple times a week. by exaggerating the jump/stomp, i feel more stable in the bottom/catch position. once the weight goes up, the "exaggeration" of the stomp obviuosuly goes away, but, mechanically, i still get the same affect.

i basically learned on my own and thats what worked for me. there are basic principles, but everyone is different.

There's nothing wrong with exaggerating the jump/stomp as long as complete hip extension is achieved. I think SuperJU was saying that some people think they've achieved full hip extension just because they do the jump/stomp.

That's not true. You can jump/stomp and not hip extend.

It's easy to see who's doing this. These are the people jumping forward on their cleans.

Last edited:
different strokes for different folks i guess, i use the jump/stomp. i actually exaggerate it. for me, when i started, the idea of first pulls, second pulls, shrugs etc. were a little much to take on at once. So i started with hip exercises. establishing faster, stronger hips was something i really focused on for awhile. i did alot of drop squats (front and back), box jumps from the seated or ground position, deadlifts from boxes, and so on. My goal was to get under the bar as fast as i could.

Once i felt comfortable getting under the bar, that when i started working on pulls and full extenstion.  i started doing hang cleans/snatches couple times a week. by exaggerating the jump/stomp, i feel more stable in the bottom/catch position. once the weight goes up, the "exaggeration" of the stomp obviuosuly goes away, but, mechanically, i still get the same affect.

i basically learned on my own and thats what worked for me. there are basic principles, but everyone is different.

What is the purpose for and effect that you're accomplishing by stomping the ground on the catch?

Back
Top Bottom