Am I screwed?

Edit: And no, SC is not the reason.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BallRN23

OP, let me help you feel better:

Am I screwed?

Edit: And no, SC is not the reason.
laugh.gif
how the F did you get to $215k; please tell me that isn't just undergrad?  

lol only 215k?

I graduated with 255k no telling what the interest has it up to now!

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by The Encore

Originally Posted by StillIn729

wow 9.4% is pretty rough; I won't sugar coat that and I hope that you weren't taking out large amounts to get large refunds to live off because that really comes back to bite students
in reality there is not much you can do to ease paying them back besides put as much into them as you can; there is no kind of loan forgiveness and defaulting on those loans is RIP to your credit

I would strongly advise against  getting into any car payment; hopefully you aren't in one now

what is your salary if you don't mind me asking?  
No car payments since i live in NYC ... I don't want to put my salary on blast, but just know i'm able to have decent/good time living in NY, pay my bills and rent on time, and some of my federal loan debt ... But I won't be taking any vacations anytime soon lol

OP I am literally in your same exact position lolDrexel out of stateHow do you live honestly? With my 100k in debt my monthly payments to sallie Mae is 1100. Then bills (mortgage car insurance cell gas/electric cable rent). I literally have to hustle to just get by. I make 50k a year I thought that was ok pay for a young professional I'm 24. It's a day to day struggle. I've talked to sallie Mae and they basically tell me either stop paying and take the L on your credit or keep paying.
CAA STRUGGLE!!! HA

Yea man ... I live in NY because of my job or else id still be @ the crib in CT commuting ... Living w/ my girl, and 1 other roommate, but our apt has two levels, and is a block away from Central Park ... So I'm LUCKILY in a good spot w/ that ... I've been w/ my girl for awhile now, and marriage is definitely on the mind, but these loans are like a black cloud that I don't even want to bring into her life ... Just have to try and manage these loans as best as I can ... Now I see why us black folk play the lotto every single day ... Prob trying to get out of some crazy *## debt
tired.gif

Man i hear you. CAA ftl. I honestly don't want to put this burden on anyone else. I worry that if my girl starts brining up marriage I don't want her to have to deal with this at all. But good luck with everything man. I could always be worst. Good luck to every body just put your head down and keep grinding we will make it.Where is wise pharaoh with some motivational speech lol.

how the hell did u guys rack up 200+k in loans? undergrad + grad school?

i got about 20k left in consolidated loans for my undergrad. paying about 160 a month. debating on paying bigger amounts or just paying the minimum in hopes the government bails us out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

i got about 20k left in consolidated loans for my undergrad. paying about 160 a month. debating on paying bigger amounts or just paying the minimum in hopes the government bails us out
laugh.gif

COT DAMN AT SOME OF THESE LOAN AMOUNTS. I CAN SEE HOW THAT AMOUNT CAN GET HUGE FROM PRIVATE SCHOOLS BUT HOW CAN ONE HAVE $100K DEBT FROM PUBLIC UNIVERSITY UNDERGRAD? 

GRADUATED IN 2008 WITH $25K DEBT THAT I RACKED UP FROM UNIV. OF PITTSBURGH AND UNIV. OF MEMPHIS COMBINED. PAYING ABOUT $200 A MONTH AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS BAD.

WE MAY BE STUCK IN THE LOAN TRAP BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF MY DAUGHTER GETS STUCK IN IT AS WELL. THOSE WITH KIDS SHOULD LOOK AT OPENING ONE OF THE COLLEGE SAVINGS/INVESTMENT PLANS. I RECENTLY OPENED ONE FOR MY DAUGHTER AND CONTRIBUTE THE SAME AMOUNT THAT I PAY FOR MY OWN STUDENT LOANS EVERY MONTH.

THE WIFEY JUST GRADUATED FROM PURDUE AND IS NOW IN GRAUDATE SCHOOL WITH 0 DEBT. HER EDUCATION WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED BY ONE OF THESE ACCOUNTS HER DAD SET UP. I WISH MY PARENTS HAD DONE THE SAME FOR ME.

Damn, in this thread alone NT is accountable for close to a milli in debt. Im gonna be at 15-20k when its all said and done. Community College then transferring when completing the 2 yr is the smartest thing you can do financially if you want to go to a university. Unless your parents set up a fund early or you got a good scholarship, I dont see the point in going to university right outta high school. Stick it out at the broke down CC for a few years and it will be worth it.

As for consolidating your private loans OP I would look into wells fargo or chase.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

laugh.gif
When you're paying 45K a year + interest, that stuff adds up ... It should be illegal for them to literally let you just take out this massive loans for 4 years, then give you 6 MONTHS to try and find a job that will allow you to live comfortably and makes 1K+ payments a month ... It's ridiculous  

Wells Fargo is the only big bank consolidating private loans at this time, check out their website and rates op.

I don't mean to gravedig, but I thought that there's a couple of people that can use help on this subject, including me.

How do I go about consolidating my 100k in private loans? Any good companies/banks/credit unions?

I'm at a 15yr repayment now...looking to move it to 25

I owe 20k paid off 7 my first year and will be done paying it off in the next 2. Will do my masters with scholarships grants and my work will take care of a good percentage. Just put away at least 600 a month and get rid of it. They want that interest money off you

Can't wait to be in debt when I go to NYU

Or should I take a lower debt n go to stony ?engineering major btw

Anyone know a company that can consolidate 75k in private loans for a 25 year repayment period? :nerd:

:smh: sounds crazy but unless your parents were poor or you're a woman with a kid, you're going to be haunted by college loans forever

Glad I joined the Military.............. My MGIB ends July 27th, and, and................and and and and and I get an additional 12 months of POST 9-11 GI BILL now..... and and and and and and and.................................When that's all done..................................................I get all my tuition paid to any state school .... Shooting for CSULB!!!

Back
Top Bottom