Student Loans Regret?

Do I regret taking well over 200k in loans and having that balloon to over 300k with interest over the years. No I dont but the interest rates are killer at 6.8% plus. Hitting it super hard to get rid of it

95% of what you learn and gain from college happens out of the classroom

and i dont mean hw/essays/group assignments either

find people that do cool things and do cool things with them, being able to show that you have worked on something great is worth more to a resume than a useless degree 
Oh I have several extracurricular campus activities on my resume.

I paid for the classrooms tho
doesnt matter what you pay for, its about what you get out of your college years

95% of college classes are a huge waste of time where you learn nothing useful 

Just be aggressive. You have to delay the urge to ball. I paid off 100k in three years and its the best thing I've ever done. Anytime you have extra money just throw it in the bucket. And that thing will sink. The key is out running the interest because that is what gets you.

What he said

how'd you manage that within 3 years? Did you move back home? I'm considering on just staying home until I don't owe anyone **** :lol:  Just so i could finally go on out and handle my own world and plan moves for the long run

Man, do it. I'm telling you. The struggle is worth it. I did the equivalent of staying at home at my salary level. I was blessed to have a good paying job but its all relative. All my friends were balling in 3k apartments and buying range rovers. I chose to live in not the greatest place and take the metro. Just do what you gotta do to maximize the amount you can pay back. Being debt free at 29 just changes the game for me. It was definitely worth the sacrifice and now I can actually consider buying a home, even though homes in DC are ridic, but thats another story.

The game isnt about keeping up with the Jones. It's about handling your business first.

Last edited:
Man, do it. I'm telling you. The struggle is worth it. I did the equivalent of staying at home at my salary level. I was blessed to have a good paying job but its all relative. All my friends were balling in 3k apartments and buying range rovers. I chose to live in not the greatest place and take the metro. Just do what you gotta do to maximize the amount you can pay back. Being debt free at 29 just changes the game for me. It was definitely worth the sacrifice and now I can actually consider buying a home, even though homes in DC are ridic, but thats another story.
ibisuOhjuiHgz5.gif

that's all i need to hear, thanks man. I just want to make sure I make the right moves to be on my own feet.

I'm kind of blessed i got $15,000 per semester in scholarships for 3 years. So I'm borrowing about $7k in loans per semester. So within the long run, I'm probably borrowing $45 in loans (if I'm calculating all of this correctly). 

Is this any good for me? I'm still all new to this, I went to a community college first to dodge any loans. I am debating on moving out to SF where i go to school as an industrial designer, but I'm kinda iffy on moving out because I don't want to take anymore loans. IDK if it'll be worth it to borrow more loans just to move near campus, but what do y'all suggest?
Live as frugally as possible. Student loans are the one type of loan that can completely mess up your life. You won't regret missing some of the student activities when you've got your loans paid off and your friends and coworkers are still complaining about theirs in 5 years.

I regret going to culinary school. Waste of money.

I got my associates for free so that's cool even though I never continued. I learned some stuff on someone else's dollar.

I learned the electrical trade as well and spent racks on racks on that. I use that **** all the time even though it isn't how I make my money I'm glad I know it. But would I have spent 30 racks looking back on it? No way, only because I'm not an electrician. Just something I could be if I ever decided to.

Last edited:

I got my associates for free so that's cool even though I never continued. I learned some stuff on someone else's dollar.

I learned the electrical trade as well and spent racks on racks on that. I use that **** all the time even though it isn't how I make my money I'm glad I know it. But would I have spent 30 racks looking back on it? No way.

You went to culinary and electric school but work in neither of those fields. So the question remains: what do you do now?

Last edited:

I learned the electrical trade as well and spent racks on racks on that. I use that **** all the time even though it isn't how I make my money I'm glad I know it. But would I have spent 30 racks looking back on it? No way.

You went to culinary and electric school but work in neither of those fields. So the question remains: what do you do now?

I should have clarified. I cook, but I would have traveled to Jamaica or Trinidad and worked there a while and a few places in Asia and down south in America. That's what I would have done to learn to cook for the same money I spent on culinary school and I would have had a blast.

I graduated in 2015 and now 6 years later i think my loans have barely budged lol.

I refinanced them over to Earnest last year. I basically think of them as rent though it’s on autopay. I’ve paid off 100% of every other sort of debt so i feel good. I could pay more to pay it down but i’m investing that money instead.

80k is really so much money. But it did set me up for the path and job I’m at now (making 200k a year or so) so financially worth it i guess.

Back
Top Bottom