Subway advertisement considered "racist and offensive" taken down in Toronto

A little late but I just found about this now, thoughts on this? Pic of the ad is in the link below:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...or_skin_lightening_treatment_seen_on_ttc.html

Complaints lead to removal of controversial ad for skin lightening treatment seen on TTC
So far, the TTC has received 11 complaints about the ad, but the advertiser is voluntarily having it removed.
Share on Facebook

This controversial ad for a skin lightening treatment seen on the TTC is being removed by the advertiser.

By: Tamara Khandaker Staff Reporter, Published on Thu Dec 04 2014
Ads for a skin lightening treatment seen on the TTC have stirred up so much controversy in recent days that the advertiser has asked to have them all taken down immediately.
The ads for Lightnaturalskin.com, which appeared on the Line 1 Yonge-University subway, show split frames of a black woman and a South Asian woman, whose significantly lighter skin tones are the supposed result of the treatment.
The treatment is promoted as “safe and natural,” a solution to discoloration, hyper-pigmentation, uneven skin tone, and sun damage, that will ultimately lead to “brighter, lighter, and glowing skin.”
TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said since last week, a total of 11 complaints about the ad had been filed.
“Complainants expressed concern that the content of the ad was racialized,” he said.
On social media, some said the ads were “disgusting” and “racist,” calling on the TTC to “give [the company’s] money back.”
Ads are reviewed by the TTC after five complaints to determine if advertising policy has been properly applied, but the company itself asked for full removal even before the complaints totalled five.
The company released a statement on their website on Nov. 30, apologizing for any “concern, offense, or distress the ads may have caused.” Representatives were not immediately available for further comment.

The treatment is used for medical reasons, the statement reiterates, and cosmetic changes like evening out skin tone.
“We acknowledge that this treatment is a personal choice and may not be suitable for everyone,” the statement reads.
"It's a very high bar to reject an ad," said Ross. "Provided an ad does not violate any laws — including the Ontario Human Rights Code — then the ad can stand. People may take issue with the message of a particular ad, but that's not enough to remove an ad."
Pattison Outdoor, the agency responsible for advertising on the TTC, has right of refusal, and does not have to contact the TTC for approval, said Ross.
"We did not review this ad," he said.
Pattison Outdoor began taking down the ads on Wednesday night.
"By the weekend that ad will no longer be in the system," Ross said.
With files from Katrina Clarke

How is this different from cosmetic surgery? Or hair dying?

EDIT: breast implant ads are all over NYC subways for the record

Last edited:
Hair dying is temporary and unless we're playing stupid, it's not even close to the same thing. Depending on the type of cosmetic surgery, that might be a fair comparison.

Asians and blepharoplasty surgery for example. Guess what, here in the Bay Area that's a racially charged and sensitive topic, not all Asian Americans are ok with it, just like the ad above.

Most of us accept that we live in a white dominant society. Doesn't mean we have to stand for a complete and total brainwashing. Western standards of beauty are forced on us enough as is.

If I was taking the subway with my 6 year old daughter I wouldn't want her to see that ****.

Thought this was bout footlongs....

I think ppl are being overly sensitive. I see how one can reach to that conclusion but I dont see the ad is racist.
Its reflecting some of societies demands.

Their people who search for and buy that kinda stuff.
Some blacks and browns want to get lighter.
Some whites want to get darker. ( see tanning ads)

Its just the way things are. ( I personally think its sad tho)
Word to Vybez Cartel

Last edited:
Depending on the type of cosmetic surgery, that might be a fair comparison.

Breast implant ads are all over NYC subways but no one ever complains about those. Not saying you personally disagree with those as well, but there seems to be a double standard

Ya'll are really comparing lightning one's skin color to cosmetic surgery?

Can't be serious.

Came in expecting a blonde doing work to a foot long.
Left half chubbed.

Back
Top Bottom