Superbugs could erase a century of medical advances vol. The Walking Dead

Ruh roh, when this happens @#%! will hit the fan

About 35 million antibiotics are prescribed by GPs in England every year. The more the drugs circulate, the more bacteria are able to evolve to resist them. In the past, drug development kept pace with evolving microbes, with a constant production line of new classes of antibiotics. But the drugs have ceased to be profitable and a new class has not been created since 1987.

In a stark reflection of the seriousness of the threat, England's deputy chief medical officer, Professor John Watson, said: "I am concerned that in 20 years, if I go into hospital for a hip replacement, I could get an infection leading to major complications and possible death, simply because antibiotics no longer work as they do now."

Routine operations could become deadly "in the very near future" as bacteria evolve to resist the drugs we use to combat them. This process could erase a century of medical advances, say government doctors in a special editorial in The Lancet health journal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...of-medical-advances-experts-warn-8944617.html

on top of health care finances being terrible, the actual health care doesn't even work. ..:smh:

so should we chill on certain vaccines like Flu and just over come them naturally?

didnt really read...

It's an arms race against evolution of bacteria. Think of it like we're basically selecting for the most resilient bacteria through antibiotics.

The bacteria naturally become resistant through conjugation etc but it is also impart caused by the patients that don't finish their prescribed course of antiobitics cause they feel better and also the overuse of antibiotics for viral syndromes somewhat caused by the physician but also by the patient cause they feel they are at least getting something for their moneu with an abx instead of the doc just saying it will pass

The bacteria naturally become resistant through conjugation etc but it is also impart caused by the patients that don't finish their prescribed course of antiobitics cause they feel better and also the overuse of antibiotics for viral syndromes somewhat caused by the physician but also by the patient cause they feel they are at least getting something for their moneu with an abx instead of the doc just saying it will pass

Truth here as well

Finish your antibiotics until the end of the treatment guys, DO NOT stop simply because you feel better

Last edited:

This is the real issue

yup

Why are people talking about Flu shots and the article is about bacterial infections and how modern antibiotics are creating resistant strains?

Why are people talking about Flu shots and the article is about bacterial infections and how modern antibiotics are creating resistant strains?
Good point 
laugh.gif

Every time an article is posted, people read the title and the first couple replies rather than read the article.

I am guilty of this, including this thread :lol:

A friend of mine is working on some crazy ish at a top school right now.

Basically, when infections occur, it's due to a large amount of bacteria acting in unison to do some objective that is innate to them. The thing is, when one bacterium is present it doesn't just start "doing" what causes you to have symptoms; rather, it waits for enough bacteria to be present and they all act in unison. They do this through a type of "signaling" that allows them to know when there are enough bacteria present to act, and then how to act. This was only (relatively) recently discovered.

The lab my friend works in is trying to figure out ways to "disrupt" these signals. Meaning that - if we are able to intercept these signals - even though the bacteria may be there, they may not necessarily act and cause fatal symptoms like they do now. Rather, we may be able to give them new signals so that they will exit the body without doing any harm, or really any number of possibilities. So I honestly think that 20 years from now, we may not even see bacterial infections as we do today.

A friend of mine is working on some crazy ish at a top school right now.

Basically, when infections occur, it's due to a large amount of bacteria acting in unison to do some objective that is innate to them. The thing is, when one bacterium is present it doesn't just start "doing" what causes you to have symptoms; rather, it waits for enough bacteria to be present and they all act in unison. They do this through a type of "signaling" that allows them to know when there are enough bacteria present to act, and then how to act. This was only (relatively) recently discovered.

The lab my friend works in is trying to figure out ways to "disrupt" these signals. Meaning that - if we are able to intercept these signals - even though the bacteria may be there, they may not necessarily act and cause fatal symptoms like they do now. Rather, we may be able to give them new signals so that they will exit the body without doing any harm, or really any number of possibilities. So I honestly think that 20 years from now, we may not even see bacterial infections as we do today.
wow. A legitimate cool story. Repped

Last edited:
After reading the replies in this thread:

Guys:

Don't ask your doctors for antibiotics if you have a cold or the flu

It's still ok to take vaccines. Vaccines and antibiotiics aren't the same thing. Vaccines are for viruses and antibiotics are for bacteria.

Should you indeed require antibiotics for a bacterial infection, make sure you complete the whole course, even when you feel better. A couple of you have already mentioned this.

It's amazing how many people don't follow the above directions, even other nurses and other people in the health field.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom